Starting to Panic

StormyWeather

Hey all,

My nerves are starting to get the best of me. I head to Salt Lake City on Thursday, last pre-op appointment on Friday and surgery on Monday morning for revision from RNY to DS.

I know why I’m doing this and I feel it is the right decision, and I have complete faith in my surgeon. But holy crap, my nerves are already in a panic. To be fair, anesthesia has always terrified me, but it’s even worse this time. Part of me just wants to cancel, but I know that’s not the right decision and I would sincerely regret it. It’s just the fear and nerves taking over. How did you combat the nerves?

I don't know the answer but can tell you it's perfectly normal to be afraid. surgery of any kind is scary!

:5grouphug:

Definitely normal. I locked myself out of my apt. twice the week before. :frown: I was so nuts. :D
Have you had issues with anesthesia before?

Last edited:
Totally normal
But that doesn’t stop the gerbils going around the wheel in your head.
Every time a negative thought pops up, counter it with a positive as to why you chose to do this.
Also try some deep breathing and meditation

Last edited:
Definitely normal. I locked myself out of my apt. twice the week before. :frown: I was so nuts. :D
Have you had issues with anesthesia before?

No previous issues. I’m a little slow to wake, but nothing significant. It’s a completely irrational fear and I know it. I think it’s the fear, along with the knowledge that this is a big surgery, that’s making it worse.

If you had no fear, I'd worry that you weren't competent to undergo surgery! That's healthy fear. I don't know any effective techniques to reduce anxiety materially, but it may be helpful to remind yourself of why you signed up in the first place. Long term, obesity is risky and reduces quality of life. DS is one of the best decisions I ever made. My only regret is not doing it sooner. Best wishes!

Thank you all so much. Surgery went well! My nerves were still getting the best of me before surgery, so they actually gave me something while I was waiting and after that I just didn’t care. Dr. McKinlay did a phenomenal job and had me in and out in just under 3 hours. There was minimal scar tissue to deal with and he also said my RNY was not done to standard at least to how he does them, so I don’t know what that means, but I intend to ask at my follow up. I spent 3 days in the hospital and pain is well controlled by Tylenol. Now I’m hanging out in the area for a few extra days and trying to get in my water, though that’s a whole other struggle. Thanks for all the replies and words of encouragement!

Congratulations! Now hydrate, walk frequently short distances, and hang in there. It gets better!

a very good report!!

you have to be determined to hydrate and do whatever it takes. force yourself to sip CONSTANTLY and keep track. sample different liquids, different temperatures.

congratulations! :bacondance:

I’m so glad to hear it went well! Minimal scar tissue was great news and certainly makes it an easier task for the doctor. Keep us informed how you’re doing. A squeeze of lemon helps water go down easier, something about the different Ph caused by the lemon.
Susan

Congratulations! Glad you are focusing on hydration. Every day it will be a bit easier from the last. :)

Latest posts

Back