Squats and lunges

Georgepds

Squats and lunges

I'm slowly expanding the number of exercises I do each morning. Since the gym closed, and it is wayyyyy too cold for kayaking ( 11 F when I last looked), I started on upper body with a light barbell. That's going well

So I wanted to pay a little more attention to my legs. I've been walking 2 miles a day since the last ice age. I thought, squats and lunges, no problem. I figured I'd been hauling around an extra 150 - 180 pounds for more than a decade, the legs should easily handle the current weight. Hmmmm... not so. Glad I started before complete atrophy set in

I do them in front of the bureau ( Squats and lunges) which I use as a balance bar, until the legs get strong enough to do them on their own

Anyone else trying something new?

UGGGH! I can walk out the door and run 5 miles. Fairly easily. But can I do ONE squat? Oh Hell no. I fall on my ass every single time. I salute you.

I can get up and down from a chair all day long. I can climb a ladder. I can do my vertical climbing machine(poorly, it is really hard). I can get up from the floor. Squat? Nope. Never. No problem with lunges either. Just those damn squats.

So to me, you are a badass! Keep up the good work.

I’m doing a modified squat holding on the the vanity in the bathroom. Keeps me from falling over. I say modified cause I barely get down far enough to sit, no way in hell can I manage a full squat. I’d be stuck there.

A variant not in my near futureView attachment 2518
Makes me wonder what is wrong with me. That would be easier for me than a regular squat. So, the whole squat thing is depressing. I bought one of those collapsible low step stools. Maybe 8 inches tall. I am going to try and use that to train myself to do them. And bonus. I can use it to reach the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets.

My plan is to sit on it and get up, over and over. Maybe that will work and it can't hurt me. I will try 10 reps tomorrow and see if I can do it.

Makes me wonder what is wrong with me. That would be easier for me than a regular squat. So, the whole squat thing is depressing. I bought one of those collapsible low step stools. Maybe 8 inches tall. I am going to try and use that to train myself to do them. And bonus. I can use it to reach the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets.

My plan is to sit on it and get up, over and over. Maybe that will work and it can't hurt me. I will try 10 reps tomorrow and see if I can do it.

One way to make it a bit easier is to open the knees. The other is to put your hands on your knees as you go down, so you can help lift up.

Not perfect form, but it is a start

Partly motivated by this post. And ashamed of the fact I have never been able to do a proper squat, I just bought a gizmo called the Squat Magic. https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Inno...93&keywords=squat+magic&qid=1623480624&sr=8-2

Who knows if it works but I will give it a try. It isn't huge so it won't take over my space. And I would be thrilled if it works. Do I think it will sculpt my ass and thighs? Nope. But if I can just do a squat I will be pleased. I am tired of trying to do them and falling over... I am just so freaking graceful.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back