Sheanie

1 pint small curd cottage cheese
3 eggs, beaten
8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1 small frozen package chopped spinach, thawed & squeezed
4 tablespoons melted butter

Mix all except melted butter, pour into well buttered casserole dish. Pour melted butter over all. Bake uncovered for one hour at 350 degrees.

***NOTE: Original recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of flour. I omit that, but you can add it in and see if you notice any difference. I did not, and neither did my mother-in-law, who gave me this very old recipe.

You can also substitute different cheeses; omit the spinach; change out Ricotta for Cottage cheese; or any number of things. I always make a recipe the first time the way it is written, then sub out items next time, so I know how it changes the recipe.

I did this for xmas dinner, more or less.. used some full fat Calabro ricotta, a and touch less cheese.. but should have used more cheese. It honestly tasted better the second day, re-warmed. It will be on rotation around my house, with mushrooms added. pretty yum!

Spinach is good! What about a Spinach pie?

Ingredients:

Dough:

17 oz of flour
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt

Filling:

12 oz of boiled spinach
12 oz ricotta
1 egg
3 oz of grated Parmesan
Salt and pepper
Bread crumbs

Instructions:

1-Place all dough ingredients in a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, knead until the dough is smooth and combined. Wrap in plastic while you make the filling.
2-To create the filling, mix the spinach with the ricotta.
Next, add your egg, Parmesan, and salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside briefly.
3-Unwrap your dough from the plastic and divide it into two equal parts.
4-Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough ball to create two circles 30 cm in diameter each.
5-On your first circle, sprinkle breadcrumbs over-top to help absorb the moisture of the filling and to keep the dough dry.
6-Distribute the filling on the circle that was just sprinkled with breadcrumbs.
7-Place one large dollop at the center of the circle, and spread the remainder in a ring around the dough. See the picture below for reference.
8-Sprinkle the filling with grated Parmesan.
9-Now, cover with the second circle of dough.
10-Seal the edges with your hands, and then use a fork to press.
11-Place a small bowl in the middle of the pie and press lightly to make an indentation.
Use your fork to press lightly.
12-Cut the dough into pieces approximately 2 cm thick, keeping it attached at the center. See the photo for reference.
13-Twist each slice and continue until each slice is twisted.
14-Bake the spinach pie at 180°C for 30 minutes or until golden.

Pictures for you:

Pictures for you: 12529346914_99c7bde775_z.jpg 1011675_532097600238938_1573157017_n.jpg

Ooooo. Very pretty. Something I would have been VERY into pre-DS. Now, not so much, unless for a party. I will use this at the next extended family gathering.

Latest posts

Back