So... I have no scale...

MsJacquiiC

Tech Admin | Designer
So - I have no scale and only weight when I'm at the doctor's office. Is this weird?? I know a lot of WLSers are obsessed with weighing in. I actually threw my scale away after having surgery back in 2009 and haven't had one since. The reasoning is that... IDK... Kinda like I don't want to obsess over every pound; Weight fluctuates and I'm over obsessing about a pound here, a pound there...

I was 438 pounds a few days before surgery. It was my highest weight. My lowest weight *I think anyway* was 228 pounds and I'm currently at 236, maintaining between that and 245 pounds... As for BMI - It considers me 'obese' - but generally - I'm quite happy with my weightless. I've come down from a size 38 to 14-16 and really concentrate on feeling physically healthy as opposed to concentrating on the actual pounds/weight.

So yeah - I wonder if this is weird behavior for post-ops. Has anyone else tossed their scale in favor of concentrating on how you feel and the size clothing you're in? And what do you think about me having done so? :unsure:

J.

I am the last person on the planet to ever judge someone over a number on a scale and your right to choose to look at that number...or not! I think there are lots of people who refuse to do the scale thing and rely on how their clothes fit.

I weigh myself occasionally. I put on a new pair of jeans the other day. Same size, same cut, same maker, different color. They were loose so I checked. There was an eight pound difference between that day and the weight at my last doctor's appointment. So I gained eight pounds and my pants are loose? Meh, it's just a number.

goodness, how did i miss this post? I think it's fantastic. it's actually something I aspire to, not having a scale. it's much more accurate to go by your pants. I'm not currently able to be this evolved but I'm working on it.

good for you!! :bacondance:

Different strokes for different folks for sure, but I weigh myself once a week and keep track in a spreadsheet. It works for me. I need data.

But if it works, more power to you.

I am the last person on the planet to ever judge someone over a number on a scale and your right to choose to look at that number...or not! I think there are lots of people who refuse to do the scale thing and rely on how their clothes fit.
Thanks for the feedback Munchkin. I thought it may be a bit weird because I know there's the weekly weigh-in thread here at BF and was just wondering if I'm the only one who doesn't really go by the scale number as a means of tracking progress.

I know of several who don't weigh but prefer to go by other factors. I think you are doing awesome.
Thanks southernlady!!!
I've lost a ton of weight ... Around 200 pounds and have maintained since 2007. I feel good and just felt like obsessing over the scale number is something I shed with the weigh. Funny thing is that my food calorie intake is quite nice and balanced. If I could drop my penchant for wine - that'd be another thing entirely LOL. I'm quite sure that if I were to drop my wine habit - I'd be in onederland by now. The empty calories add up and are definitely counted. But otherwise - I feel like I'm doing pretty great with maintaining = all things considered.

I weigh myself occasionally. I put on a new pair of jeans the other day. Same size, same cut, same maker, different color. They were loose so I checked. There was an eight pound difference between that day and the weight at my last doctor's appointment. So I gained eight pounds and my pants are loose? Meh, it's just a number.
It's just a number! And wow. k9ophile - Things that make ya go hmmmmm...
I've experienced similar actually and it's one reason why I decided to really go by how my clothes are fitting and how I feel as opposed to obsessing over the scale number.

J.

goodness, how did i miss this post? I think it's fantastic. it's actually something I aspire to, not having a scale. it's much more accurate to go by your pants. I'm not currently able to be this evolved but I'm working on it.

good for you!! :bacondance:
Is it "evolved" though JackieOnLine ? Or more like stubborn resistance? LOL
Whatever the case - I was just simply wondering if I were alone in not really doing the scale, weighing in daily. Pre-surgery I'd tried all sorts of diet fads and such. And back in the days of PhenFen I really obsessed about the scale number to the point that if I were up a few pounds for the day - I'd just endure all sorts of high anxiety, wondering what I did wrong or what I could do better. It was definitely an obsession; OCD type of experience. With the surgery as a sort of finality though - kinda changed my attitude. But yeah... Whatever works; Whatever floats your boat. As long as there is semblance of progress that helps you maintain is a good thing. Like galaxygrrl saying "different strokes for different folks!"

Different strokes for different folks for sure, but I weigh myself once a week and keep track in a spreadsheet. It works for me. I need data.

But if it works, more power to you.
OMG - I was on a liquid diet years ago my senior year highschool. It was a great program that was based on teaching better eating habits. It was strictly protein type nutrient shakes for the first 6 months, with implementing of food packets for the next year of the program. And we were tasked with keeping a spreadsheet as to see the weightloss progression. After the program ended though - I sorta reverted back to bad habits - and seeing the spreadsheet data trend upward was just so ... eh ... Can't think of the exact word I'm looking for... But it was like hopes and aspirations sorta deflated like a flat tire. And eh... Just don't want to experience such a thing after having had the RNY. Thankfully - I've been able to maintain and doing a scaleless type of thing has worked well for me.

I'm just glad that I'm not alone as far as not weighing in on a regular basis. WLS is a tool and we work it in different ways.
That's my take-away from you guys' comments. And kinda glad to hear them = Thanks!

J.

Latest posts

Back