So I had the education class today

I'm pretty fortunate that my surgeon has made a good effort to listen to and acknowledge the needs of DS'ers, and that his staff is, for the most part, implementing our suggestions. They're not perfect - but they're a lot more progressive in their thinking than what most of you are describing. Dr. Kemmeter came to one of our DS gatherings, and even brought bacon-cornbread!
Wish we had YOUR nut!

catecholamine
I knew which surgeon you are using just by listening to your class facts.... Dr. Boyce is a great cutter but he needs to get his folks up to speed on the DS, which seems to be a common problem in the business. There is a lady on his FB group right now that thinks she has a pouch and that gummies are good enough since she is a year out and "doing fine".

catecholamine
I knew which surgeon you are using just by listening to your class facts.... Dr. Boyce is a great cutter but he needs to get his folks up to speed on the DS, which seems to be a common problem in the business. There is a lady on his FB group right now that thinks she has a pouch and that gummies are good enough since she is a year out and "doing fine".
BUT if you try to educate that bunch, Brian, the mods remove your posts...I've been flying close to the radar screen there.

Does anyone ever feel like if we all "fought back" with our successes eating the proper way and taking the right vitamins that maybe eventually they'd get it and recommend the right things to new patients? It really bugs me that everyone gets told these things but so many people don't have vets to steer them the right way. If I hadn't signed up for OH I would be eating low fat, higher carb, probably have terrible tummy aches from all the vegetables and be taking chewable ADEKs and gummy multis. Oh, and let's not forget the creon that hack endocrinologist wanted me to start 1 week post op. Yeah, 1 week post op, SMO, creon.

It IS very frustrating. My MN DSers group actually had a monthly meeting with the surgeons that do the DS at the U of M. The nutritionist was there as well. We had the meeting set up with them to specifically address the misinformation that the office gives to DSers. There had to have been about 20 of us there. We talked about what works for us and for most DSers and that the information had to be changed...that it was just dangerous for newbies. They listened, sure, but I don't expect anything to change. They wanted US to provide original research to prove that what we were saying was true. Seriously? That is why I have not followed up with my surgeon since my one year visit. I'll be damned if I am going to drive 45 minutes to pay for parking and wait in the damn waiting room for 2 hrs to FINALLY see the surgeon for 2 minutes after paying a $50 copay. No thank you. I get all my lab work done through my PCP.

This is and always will be beyond me and yes, literally can do unbelievable harm, espeically if people aren't connected to any kind of support. Very scary. I was very lucky both surgeries to have solid nutritional guidance for both procedures. Got lucky with a nutritionist too after my revision and I was severely anemic.

I have to pay an extra $500.00, out of pocket, for misinformation. They call it the Bariatric Program Fee.

What I want to know is, where are all the DS'rs who have been told to eat the RNY way and not take the right vitamins? Why haven't the seriously ill or at the very least vitamin deficient changed the industry? It has been a long time that the DS has been being performed. Why are there so few people shouting about protein and vitamins?

None of these surgeon's have noticed their patients' decline in health? No PCP has reported a DSr with malnutrition? Seriously, what gives?

'Cuz this is obesity (current or former)... and it's verrry chic to blame the patient for non-compliance if results aren't ideal... or even OK. It's a willpower thing dontchaknow?

BUT if you try to educate that bunch, Brian, the mods remove your posts...I've been flying close to the radar screen there.
Yes, trying to do that is a losing battle. I don't even try very much. I understand why all the vets want to try and help and correct all the bad info but sometimes it just can't be done due to moderation. That lady is destined for trouble but nobody can tell her that.

Post op: ...they say three meals a day, no snacks. Meals cannot last more than 20 mins. We only need 64g of protein. Low fat. Encouraged to add carbs to our liquids by drinking juice. Also, I'd need to take their special all-in-one vitamin 8 times a day.

...I lol'd. Time to erase the 4hr education class from my mind.

are you having a DS or RNY? I hope you have other doctors as options. Well actually all you need the doctor for is to do the cutting. Then you can get your nutrition information from the experts....the vets here who have been living with the DS for years on edge and not just reading some crap out of a textbook

are you having a DS or RNY? I hope you have other doctors as options. Well actually all you need the doctor for is to do the cutting. Then you can get your nutrition information from the experts....the vets here who have been living with the DS for years on edge and not just reading some crap out of a textbook
DS. Half the people at the education class were having a DS. Still they gave this info.

it is so important to be an informed consumer/patient. You have to take the lead in your own healthcare. Listen to what everyone says, then sort out what makes sense to you, and ultimately what works for you.

I go to my nutrition class next Monday. My surgeon's office has said I only need the one class (45 minutes, $65), but the nutritionist mentioned 30 minute follow up classes ($55). I'm sure I'll be told more about those on Monday...It is a private class/meeting/appointment...Whatever you want to call it. The nutritionist asked who my surgeon was, but didn't ask what procedure I am getting. I'm optimistically hopeful that she is wise to the DSer needs, but realistically pessimistic after reading all of the experiences talked about here.

Latest posts

Back