So I had the education class today

Does anyone ever feel like if we all "fought back" with our successes eating the proper way and taking the right vitamins that maybe eventually they'd get it and recommend the right things to new patients? It really bugs me that everyone gets told these things but so many people don't have vets to steer them the right way. If I hadn't signed up for OH I would be eating low fat, higher carb, probably have terrible tummy aches from all the vegetables and be taking chewable ADEKs and gummy multis. Oh, and let's not forget the creon that hack endocrinologist wanted me to start 1 week post op. Yeah, 1 week post op, SMO, creon.

If only I could master the "smile and nod" - I agree it is the best approach, best served with a side of bacon!

I tried to explain to my surgeon how I had lost 165 pounds doing every thing almost opposite of how his nutritionist recommended. Although I would like to see him putting out accurate information, my own progress is more important than the argument.

I have to pay an extra $500.00, out of pocket, for misinformation. They call it the Bariatric Program Fee.

What I want to know is, where are all the DS'rs who have been told to eat the RNY way and not take the right vitamins? Why haven't the seriously ill or at the very least vitamin deficient changed the industry? It has been a long time that the DS has been being performed. Why are there so few people shouting about protein and vitamins?

None of these surgeon's have noticed their patients' decline in health? No PCP has reported a DSr with malnutrition? Seriously, what gives?

I have to pay an extra $500.00, out of pocket, for misinformation. They call it the Bariatric Program Fee.

What I want to know is, where are all the DS'rs who have been told to eat the RNY way and not take the right vitamins? Why haven't the seriously ill or at the very least vitamin deficient changed the industry? It has been a long time that the DS has been being performed. Why are there so few people shouting about protein and vitamins?

None of these surgeon's have noticed their patients' decline in health? No PCP has reported a DSr with malnutrition? Seriously, what gives?

Well, this is why I'm choosing to fly to California instead of going to my local vetted surgeon a 5 minute drive away. At my surgeon consult he flat out told me that his patients long term were doing poorly and vitamin deficient! He said he would only do the VSG and if in 2-3 yrs I really needed it, he'd revise to the DS. Uh, no thanks. I was agog that this was his "selling point." As it is, his office was supposed to get back to me in 2 days to discuss insurance and self-pay...never heard from them again.

Dr. K responded to my email (sent at 2am) within 4 hrs. I know I made the right choice in surgeons. Now I wanna go to my local support group and see if they're all these hunchbacks with low fat snacks. I need to be the Bariatricfacts.com evangelist! ;)

Mine went in one ear and right out the other...

Just don't tell them that their info is bad for us DS'ers...get's them ALL defensive...we aren't suppose to think for ourselves and heaven forbid we find help ONLINE!
It is fine to tell them they are wrong!
After you get then 100 cm cc!
K

Ugh..this is awful. It seems like there need to certified DS educators who actually know what they're talking about.
I don't understand how people as smart as surgeons are unable to grasp the nutritional needs of the DS'ers just based on the anatomical changes inherent to the procedure. Surely, they know the RNY functions very differently. It would follow from that the nutritional needs of DS'ers would not be identical to RNYers. I have read that it's been a while since they've studied nutrition, but if us non-medical folks can do our research and figure this out, it shouldn't be a challenge for doctors who really want to assist their patients with this. I think they just don't want to 'burden' themselves or their staff with the extra effort of distinguishing DS nutritional needs from the RNY in their educational programs.

Ugh..this is awful. It seems like there need to certified DS educators who actually know what they're talking about.
I don't understand how people as smart as surgeons are unable to grasp the nutritional needs of the DS'ers just based on the anatomical changes inherent to the procedure. Surely, they know the RNY functions very differently. It would follow from that the nutritional needs of DS'ers would not be identical to RNYers. I have read that it's been a while since they've studied nutrition, but if us non-medical folks can do our research and figure this out, it shouldn't be a challenge for doctors who really want to assist their patients with this. I think they just don't want to 'burden' themselves or their staff with the extra effort of distinguishing DS nutritional needs from the RNY in their educational programs.
The problem is, MUCH of what they say for nutrition is just wrong. Studies are coming out that show low fat is NOT the way to go even in normies. Don't get me wrong...all fat is not good but good fats are what we need to embrace.
http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-nutritionist/

The problem is, MUCH of what they say for nutrition is just wrong. Studies are coming out that show low fat is NOT the way to go even in normies. Don't get me wrong...all fat is not good but good fats are what we need to embrace.
http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-win-an-argument-with-a-nutritionist/

Yup. I echo your views. What they say is wrong, and it boggles my mind that these apparently qualified people don't know any better. I have even heard that CDEs suggest the ADA's nutritional requirements to diabetics which only makes it worse (150 gms of carbs wut?). HFLC is better for the vast majority of people, including normies, as you said. There's a lot of research coming out that supports this.

Well, this is why I'm choosing to fly to California instead of going to my local vetted surgeon a 5 minute drive away. At my surgeon consult he flat out told me that his patients long term were doing poorly and vitamin deficient! He said he would only do the VSG and if in 2-3 yrs I really needed it, he'd revise to the DS. Uh, no thanks. I was agog that this was his "selling point." As it is, his office was supposed to get back to me in 2 days to discuss insurance and self-pay...never heard from them again.

Dr. K responded to my email (sent at 2am) within 4 hrs. I know I made the right choice in surgeons. Now I wanna go to my local support group and see if they're all these hunchbacks with low fat snacks. I need to be the Bariatricfacts.com evangelist! ;)

I wondered why you weren't using any of the docs there. I had originally contacted Dr. Oakley (in MAY of last year, holy shit this has been a long haul). I was scheduled for his first class on June 13, 2013. I didn't want to have to travel so far for everything including, to Twin Falls for the class. Dr. Simper's office let me take the first class online. Then I will take the rest when I get to SLC. Plus, Boise is farther and a more difficult drive than Utah for me. Dr. Simper also does revisions so that really swayed it for me. I figured he must be pretty good to be one of the very few vetted revision surgeons.

I wondered why you weren't using any of the docs there. I had originally contacted Dr. Oakley (in MAY of last year, holy shit this has been a long haul). I was scheduled for his first class on June 13, 2013. I didn't want to have to travel so far for everything including, to Twin Falls for the class. Dr. Simper's office let me take the first class online. Then I will take the rest when I get to SLC. Plus, Boise is farther and a more difficult drive than Utah for me. Dr. Simper also does revisions so that really swayed it for me. I figured he must be pretty good to be one of the very few vetted revision surgeons.

When I first started my process in June I saw Simper and Cottham on the lists but didn't see a big fandom of people using them Over tHere...when I finally found the proboards and saw all the folks raving about Dr. K (and after my experience with Oakley, I decided it was better to go with a known quantity, knowing I'd have a good support system. :)

I'm pretty fortunate that my surgeon has made a good effort to listen to and acknowledge the needs of DS'ers, and that his staff is, for the most part, implementing our suggestions. They're not perfect - but they're a lot more progressive in their thinking than what most of you are describing. Dr. Kemmeter came to one of our DS gatherings, and even brought bacon-cornbread!

I'm pretty fortunate that my surgeon has made a good effort to listen to and acknowledge the needs of DS'ers, and that his staff is, for the most part, implementing our suggestions. They're not perfect - but they're a lot more progressive in their thinking than what most of you are describing. Dr. Kemmeter came to one of our DS gatherings, and even brought bacon-cornbread!

Wow, that is progressive!

Latest posts

Back