So I had the education class today

catecholamine

Resident Nerd
Post op: ...they say three meals a day, no snacks. Meals cannot last more than 20 mins. We only need 64g of protein. Low fat. Encouraged to add carbs to our liquids by drinking juice. Also, I'd need to take their special all-in-one vitamin 8 times a day.

...I lol'd. Time to erase the 4hr education class from my mind.

Mine went in one ear and right out the other...

Just don't tell them that their info is bad for us DS'ers...get's them ALL defensive...we aren't suppose to think for ourselves and heaven forbid we find help ONLINE!

I know, I said something about the carbs but they got really defensive, so I just didn't say anything else.
They mentioned OH and said about the meals "people on OH will say stuff like eat 6 small meals a day but that's just not best"....yeah, whatever.

Yep, in one ear and out the other. 64g of protein per day for someone who's body is reengineered to malabsorb a great deal of those 64g? :rolleyes: Surgeons are great cutters, but this RNY-fits-all stuff just takes the cake. Glad you know the real deal, catecholamine ;)

It was easy to tell that it was catered to RNY when they always referred to the stomach as the "pouch"...3 out of 6 of us there were having the DS. Horrible information for these patients.
Did I mention they want DS patients on liquids for FOUR WEEKS post op? That they don't allow non-pureed food until 6 months??? YEAH RIGHT. Not gonna happen! I'll do 2 weeks liquids max. I'll just play it by ear and when I feel my tummy is settled, I'll try a tiny bite of chicken salad or something, well-chewed.

It was easy to tell that it was catered to RNY when they always referred to the stomach as the "pouch"...3 out of 6 of us there were having the DS. Horrible information for these patients.
Did I mention they want DS patients on liquids for FOUR WEEKS post op? That they don't allow non-pureed food until 6 months??? YEAH RIGHT. Not gonna happen! I'll do 2 weeks liquids max. I'll just play it by ear and when I feel my tummy is settled, I'll try a tiny bite of chicken salad or something, well-chewed.
Actually the pre-op is based on BMI. Under 50 and it's 2 weeks, over 50 and it's 4 weeks. I was a SERIOUS exception to that rule...while Boyce's staff ASSUMED I would be doing 2 weeks pre-op, Dr. Boyce wrote ON MY CHART, NO pre-op diet. In fact the ONLY thing he told me to do was stop eating/drinking 12 hours before surgery. I literally had no extra weight to lose ans still be morbidly obese. Last weigh in before surgery in his office, I was a 35. I signed in his office 6 months before at a 35.2 and was super careful to not lose anything.

Be careful with introducing food after...do let your sleeve heal. But at three months, it should be fine.

Sorry, can't edit, so double post time...
I'll be careful. If I don't tolerate something, I'll know I'm not ready and will wait another week and try again or something. When I start soft foods will all depend on how I feel physically, if it feels like I can handle it.

Smile and nod, and know that you know better. Unfortunately that kind of advice is all too common.

When I had my class, I was the ONLY Ds'er in there...and I kept saying...but I won't have a pouch, mine will be a sleeve. The class instructors TRIED to tell me they were the same thing...I said, "umm, no, I get to keep my pyloric valve"

When I had my class, I was the ONLY Ds'er in there...and I kept saying...but I won't have a pouch, mine will be a sleeve. The class instructors TRIED to tell me they were the same thing...I said, "umm, no, I get to keep my pyloric valve"
I know, right? They were talking about dumping. I was like "DS'ers don't dump" and she was like "YES THEY DO"....okay lady.... If you eat too much fat early out or go hog wild later on and drink 4 cups heavy cream, yeah, might get some diarrhea, but it's not dumping. Sometimes some veggies or random things just won't sit well, but once again, it's not dumping. We have a pyloric valve.

Oh dear, I remember that horrid class well. My husband slept through it, I tried to at least look like I was kinda paying attention. Then my phone died and I had to listen or fall asleep myself, all I could hear was "WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG". The lady next to me was touting the RNY procedure she was about to have as the best solution in the world. When I told her I was having the DS she shuddered and asked if I was scared, and that I was way too young for such a drastic procedure. I politely told her I was too young to die, and I already had the band that did nothing but bad, the DS would save my life. Ahhhhhh support :D.

I was also the only DS'er in my class. The instructor had notebooks set aside with our names on them. As I looked through mine I was surprised to see all this info on the RNY post surgery diet. The only thing in my book that appeared to be different was a diagram of the DS and a list of drugs I could take. When I asked the Instructor about it she said "oh that parts all the same." Luckily for me I had discovered En & Larra by that time, and they called "bullshit." What a mess I would have been if I had ever eaten like that. I upset my surgeon once by telling him I thought his nutrition information was geared towards gastric bypass and not DS. Sad, but nothing has changed. I get "Diet reminders" all the time from the Nut reminding me about low fats, lots of fruits and veggies, no nuts or beans, whole grain breads etc.....and only 3 small meals a day. So grateful for the folks here!

Latest posts

Back