Side sleepers, help!

Discussion in 'Duodenal Switch' started by Joycie4smiles, Nov 1, 2018.

Joycie4smiles

Joycie4smiles MyDSPilgrimage

Ok side sleepers were you able to sleep on your side after you came home from having a DS? I sleep on my sides almost the entire night. Any tips or is it a no no?

Susan in Tennessee

Susan in Tennessee Well-Known Member

I couldn’t for some time, and that’s my preferred sleep position. Things inside just felt uncomfortable as if they were falling around with room to tumble about. I slept on my back mostly or half propped up with pillows.

Joycie4smiles likes this.
    hilary1617

hilary1617 First time at the rodeo.

I'm a side sleeper and, like Susan, definitely could not sleep in my preferred position for some time after DS. Normally, if I am not on my right side, I toss and turn. After DS, once off of the pain meds that allowed blissful sleep in almost any position, I struggled to fall asleep on my back. I found having a bunch of pillows under my knees made it easier, but honestly old habits die hard and I never learned to feel comfortable that way. Always took me extra time to fall asleep. I've had other surgeries where I slept in a recliner and that was tough too... In the end it is all worth it.

DianaCox

DianaCox Bad Cop

Recliner for a couple of weeks l, then on my side with body pillow to support my gut and between my knees.

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

I was a back sleeper. I've had spine surgeries and side sleeping gets it all kinked up. I'm 5 years out from my last back surgery and JUST now laying on my side while reading but I still have to sleep on my back.

But I had a cat who slept on my stomach pre-op. I had to put a pillow over me to keep him off it while I healed.

Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

Any position that's comfortable is just fine!

Duckman

Duckman Well-Known Member

it took a while, but yes, I sleep on my side with a pillow or two for support

Katrina

Katrina Member

I put pillows under my back so I am somewhat on my side I sleep pretty well. I am a side/tummy sleeper. I wake up half the night right now that I’m only 4 days out and sleep in my recliner with my knees pulled in a bit to my chest helps with the gas...

Sheanie

Sheanie Well-Known Member

Pillows. Body pillow shoved up against my back, one in front, leg on top. Totally propped and solid.