Shirataki Noodles?

I've experimented with them some, they're not bad, just a little odd. I've made "lo mein" with lots of meat and that was pretty good. I bought some more to put in a pho-type noodle soup. I've seen people complaining about a fishy taste or smell, and I REALLY hate anything fishy, but a rinse and a boil and I don't notice any taste at all. They are somewhat slimy, though. I don't find them to be an acceptable substitute for pasta in Italian dishes.

Now, black bean pasta is even weirder, but has a lot of nutritional content that the shirataki don't. I've thrown bowls away when I boiled them up and topped them with sauce, because they have too much of their own flavor & texture for that sort of application for me, but last week I bought some fancy mushrooms from the farmer's market and browned them up in a ton of butter and shallots then tossed in the black bean spaghetti and "fried" it until it had some texture. Now THAT was awesome. It took be about an hour to eat it, but the bowl had 25 grams of protein!

I think shirataki noodles are almost as gross as liver . The black bean noodles are a work in progress for me. Definitely NOT a substitute for pasta in Italian style dishes *blech*. Thus far I've used them in a room temp salad thing that was basically like "Texas caviar" where I sort of substituted them for black beans, and in another salad concoction using "Asian style" seasonings like garlic, ginger, soy sauce, some fish sauce, hot pepper etc. Can't recall just what other veggies I put in that one at the moment, but I'm sure onions, peppers and corn were involved.

I like them as a filler. I use them all the time in dishes where I used to use rice or other pasta. They are nothing like real pasta, what is? They are pretty good for what they are though. I order them by the case from amazon. We had them with braised brisket, layered with the braising liquid and some parmesan cheese for dinner last night, yum!

If you use the shiritaki/tofu noodles and boil them for a couple minutes, the rubbery texture improves. The spaghetti ones are a great substitute for ramen noodles in ramen soup.

I guess I have to try these. Maybe chicken with peanut sauce? Something at least quasi Asian?

It all started with me thinking about all the great stuff I could make with besam(chick pea flour). And then I looked at the carb count. Great protein but too many nasty carbs!

Anyone have a cheap place to get these?

I guess I have to try these. Maybe chicken with peanut sauce? Something at least quasi Asian?

It all started with me thinking about all the great stuff I could make with besam(chick pea flour). And then I looked at the carb count. Great protein but too many nasty carbs!

Anyone have a cheap place to get these?
The cheapest I've found them, so far, has been the Korean grocery store, H Mart. Better than any of the other Asian markets I've been in, but they're not everywhere. I've seen them in walmart too, for a little more $

The cheapest I've found them, so far, has been the Korean grocery store, H Mart. Better than any of the other Asian markets I've been in, but they're not everywhere. I've seen them in walmart too, for a little more $
I will go look! We have a large Asian population and almost every flavor of ethnic you can think of. I bet someone has these.

Hi all - just found this older thread about shirataki noodles...I bought them, but MAN did they get my intestines in an uproar! I had such bad stomach pains - ending in severe gas for the next 24 hours. Anyone have this effect? Also, when I tried to reheat them, (after boiling them the first time, they ended up so rubbery. I felt like I was chewing a bowl of rubber bands. :oops: Any hints on how to reheat these?

Latest posts

Back