Running a message board for a large community

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I've been asked to post some commentary about the trials and tribulations of trying to start a message board for a 55+ community that is deeply right wing (~2/3), computer-averse (the existing Yahoo egroup works solely by email), and grumpy. I'm welcome to suggestions and snark, in reasonable proportion - especially advice from people with experience!

As I mentioned before, Liz is "helping" me with this - by which I mean doing a lot of the backend work as I learn how to do some of it, since I'm using the same software, albeit the upgrade that I bought and which she is about to upgrade to. So I pretend to justify in my mind that she's been getting experience on the 2.0 version by helping me, as she prepares to upgrade our board to 2.1 when it comes out (and then help me upgrade too??).

The history behind this new message board: when we moved here to this 55+ community in the West Valley near Phoenix (Goodyear AZ), we really didn't do much research. We selected this community because my daughter's inlaws live here, and they did THEIR research a number of years ago and liked it, and were encouraging us to move to the same area so the kids would HAVE to come visit at the holidays, since we're all here. We bought the first and only house I looked at here, and have been reasonably happy with the choice of home, price and location.

But to say this community is full of conservative old farts would be an understatement. People whose brains no longer comprehend the possibility of change and evolution, much less the value of same.

There are two long-standing community Yahoo egroups run by members of the community, one of which (the main group) is for communications about stuff for sale, griping about things, and requests for recommendations for every service you can imagine - doctors, restaurants, remodelers, auto services, house cleaners, repair people, etc. No way to store the answers, and most of the answers are sent directly to the person asking. As you can imagine, these requests for recommendation are very very often repeat questions. And no discussions are allowed, because of the volume of emails that would result. Moderation is fairly intensive, as the mods have to stop discussions (which piss most of the people off), and because people forget to sign their posts with their full names (because we are a community who live together, and people's email addys are often not their real names).

The other group is the Talk group, which is supposedly for discussions. It is run by a bunch of alt-right nutjobs, and only has about 700 members (there are about 7000 homes in the community). I was warned by some more liberal folks I met that they kick libs off the board for any weak excuse, and after reading the board for a while and then posting a bit, I was quickly kicked off, ostensibly for forgetting to sign my name a couple of times, but actually because I was pissing off the old members for arguing religion by referring to a deity as a "sky daddy," for supporting the right of NFL players to kneel during the anthem, and being against the Second Amendment.

(Continued in next post)

Yahoo is no longer supporting egroups. Most of the functionalities on the website have been shut down - you can read the posts on the website, but can't respond. The posts - every.single.one.of.them - are sent to members by email. Either one at a time, or in digest form, which digests are usually about 10-15 posts and I get about 10+ of them per day from the main group. There are about 7000 members of the board, though probably only about 200 post regularly, and many of those 7000 people have shut off the egroup because it is so annoying. Most people either can't post or see pix - e.g., items for sale. There are repeated unexplained and unfixable messages acknowledging a request to unsubscribe, which hasn't been made. Many people who post to sell or look for recommendations start out with "Posting for someone not on the egroup ..." - so clearly, many people are dissatisfied with it.

A few months ago, two of the three mods on the egroup posted that they were tired of moderating, had not been able to find anyone to take over the thankless job, and that if nobody stepped up, they were going to close down the board on January 1st. So I decided to take the leap of starting a new and PROPER community message board that would address the problems and bring the message board into the modern age (the Yahoo groups are not only unsupported, they are 1990s technology).

OMFG. The HOWLS of objections that were posted! The nastiness! The vituperation, posted not only in public but sent in email nastygrams to me personally! "We don't want to have to learn a new system!" "Why don't you just become a moderator, and leave us alone?" "You are selfish, doing this for yourself!" But I pushed ahead, and bought and of course paid for a domain (5 years) and the software (1 year, about to buy updates), and created the board. I got volunteers to beta test, and we launched in early October.

So far, I have almost 1000 members. Many people have asked me to teach a seminar on how to use it, which I'm going to do on January 17th - based on the number of responses, there will be more people attending than the room will hold (200), so I will probably have to teach it more than once.

Some of the whiners have joined the new message board - they continue to whine, even about the Politics discussion boards (which are divided into Right-Leaning, Left-Leaning and Free-For-All) because suddenly the Left-Leaning voices can be heard. And unfortunately, at least one new volunteer stepped forward to keep the main egroup alive. But I think we've established a foothold, and once the rest of the snowbirds return in January, maybe we'll get the momentum to run them off the web.

Welcome to my world! Although this group was already on a forum and more than willing to tackle a new software.

One thing I did learn long ago, is regardless of your personal opinions, an admin has to be fair.

But I think we've established a foothold, and once the rest of the snowbirds return in January, maybe we'll get the momentum to run them off the web.

whoooHOOOO! I love this.

the nerve of people calling you names for donating your time and money to this project! buncha idiots.

I hope you continue to update us; this fascinates me.

:hitgo:

Best wishes Diana. Of course no good deed will go unpunished, but I hope this mainly proves rewarding. You are a kind and brave soul for taking this on for your community!

Last edited:
As soon as I can con convince some others to take it over, I will - I want to just be a member, like I am here. But first we need to be the primary means of communication for the community.

But yeah, the nastiness was surprising. Old people are afraid of change. I had to keep telling them I have no control over the egroup they know - if it goes away because people like my group better, so be it.

The Yahoo egroup hasn't had a new post on it for over 26 hours. Usually there would have been 100-150 posts/day. I've made a post myself - maybe it just died? Or maybe they have everyone on moderation, and the moderators went to sleep and forgot to approve anything?

The Yahoo egroup hasn't had a new post on it for over 26 hours. Usually there would have been 100-150 posts/day. I've made a post myself - maybe it just died? Or maybe they have everyone on moderation, and the moderators went to sleep and forgot to approve anything?
Or maybe Oath (a division of Verizon), the owner of Yahoo, forgot to pay the bills?

I'm not sure what's going on so please correct me if I'm wrong. Nobody wants to step up and support the old group(s), but many want to tell you how to run a new one created by you. Do they not understand the concept of choice? I left two other WLS boards (and you can guess which ones) because I didn't like them. I didn't expect them to conform to my desires. If (and a big if), this group doesn't meet my needs, I'll leave it, too. Yet somehow, I don't see that happening. I disagree with some of the things said here that are off topic. But that's the fluff. The real thing that makes this group so valuable is that everyone is 100% real about WLS facts.

It’s going to be interesting. After the Yahoo egroup went down for about 30+ hours, it dribbled back online. Someone asked if the egroup was going to continue after the end of the year, and someone else said yes, two new moderators are in place. A few people “yay”ed but I’m not going to back down. However, I suspect that the new mods are going to start stifling my ability to post about the new message board on their egroup.

I upgraded both the test board for this forum and Diana's board. Mine went smooth as silk. However my wifi started being a butthole during my upgrade of Diana's. Her's was down damned near TWO hours when it should have only taken about 45 mins.

Latest posts

Back