Roo in surgery.

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad she's finally having this opportunity and hope all goes well.

great! I hope Dr. K was able to help her. She has struggled so much.

Dr K is a phenomenal surgeon. He solved my esophageal and intestinal issues last summer (July 2018), so I know that Roo is in great hands. Can’t wait to hear her post positive updates as she recovers from surgery.

I just know dr K would be able to help her. We were both sure he would be able to see what the problem was and fix it. She. Deserves the best outcome possible as long as the process she went though. She is so nice she was encouraging me though this congestive heart failure and constricted arteries even though she did feel well herself. I will drop her a text message around the end of the week or something give her some time to reach out if she choose to

ok here is my update...and here I will include some of the op report. The first part is a LAZYYYY lol copy and paste from FB...then I will add some of the op report...minus pics as I know not everyone digs that, but I had so many adhesions my belly looked like a haunted house!!

TL;DR-Dr K fixed me up, I feel good. Life goes on
1f609.png

Hey everyone! I made it through my hemicoloectomy with Dr K....turns out I had that plus a large haital hernia repair and a clear out of a lot of adhesions.
Dr K took 18 inches (45.7cm) of my sigmoid colon that was twisted and partially obstructed, as well as full of diverticulitis. This is NOT a result of the DS....I come from a crappy genetic pool lol..

He found my large hiatal hernia that I have had symptoms from about 6 months post DS (2014). I did follow up with my team about the severe GERD, they did a scope and never saw me again lol CHEERS! I can only assume they saw the hernia and were like 'bye felicia' as I was a problem child surgically.

Dr K is so thorough. He also told me my ovaries are covered in cysts (I already knew that-PCOS for life!), but that he didn't recommend a hysterectomy unless the cysts have evil friends. I will be following up with my GP about the ovaries.

I have ewwww gooey pics of my insides, but I will save you from that lol. However, I find the op report at bit hilarious, it basically says 'Bloody hell, such a huge colon I can't see it all due to the way the DS was done' and he mentioned adhesions several times.

I think I was in surgery about 2 hours? I don't remember. Recovery was kind of a nightmare as the nurse didn't get the note about a pain pump so I was crying in agony and she was not nice, stating 'every time I give you painkillers, you have to stay here a half an hour longer' Finally I had come around enough to ask WTH my pain pump was?!?!?! It was only then that she was like 'oh, yeah...I didn't see that note'. I was raging for days about her. Hope Karma sorts her out!

I was finally sent to my room where I was greeted by the hubz and Lisa. Praise be to Lisa! She helped with pain management so I could sleep. That could be why I am doing so well as I slept all of Friday night. Saturday was walking, sipping, and seeing some visitors. By noon Sunday, I was discharged with my BFF (no, lol, my PITA!) a drain.

We stayed in a hotel room a 10 minute drive from Dr K and the hospital just incase cos you know....ME lol. My follow up appointment was Wednesday, drain was removed and I was weighed. omfg I am always astounded at my bodies ability to hold onto water!!!!

That Wednesday I was out shopping, I was in a wheelchair because I'm not completely off my rocker, but it was a nice change to be a functional human after an operation. Being in a wheelchair again was also a nice reminded of how far I have come with my mobility
2764.png

All in all, life is good. I weighed yesterday (Monday) and had lost 30lbs from Wednesday lol. I ain't lying if I complain of swelling and bloating
1f609.png

My body is a sponge.

I am feeling and LOOKING normal! I am down to my normal weight of 275 and my belly is FLAT!!!! I no longer look 365 days pregnant with triplets. That in itself is amazing as it has been a year, a whole year of chronic bloat, even with just water.

Life is good. I'm TRYING to take it slow, I'm just not used to feeling this good after surgery...like maybe I'm in pain/discomfort? But it's nothing worse than the last year lol so I'm having to consciously rest and sip.

---op report snippets---

Immediately, a very tenuous redundant looped colon was identified. Attempts
to identify the extent of redundancy were unsuccessful because of gross
distention. Because of this, we elected to make a HandPort incision. A
HandPort incision was made and a protective sleeve was placed. With the
HandPort in place, we then identified the white line of Toldt, which was then
dissected proximally all the way to the level of the splenic flexure. There
were dense adhesions present between the omentum and the anterior abdominal
wall which were all taken down and identified an antecolic duodenal switch
Roux-en-Y limb

Our attention was then continued to identify a very redundant colon at the
level of the distal transverse proximal to the level of the splenic flexure.
The splenic flexure was mobilized carefully with significant difficulty using
Harmonic scalpel. The entire sigmoid colon having been mobilized allowed for
identification of the entire redundancy resulting in intermittent volvulus.
During the dissection of the splenic flexure, while having elevated the left
lobe of the liver, a 3 cm hiatal hernia was identified.

At this point, we decided to perform an extended left hemicolectomy to move the
redundant part of the colon including the segment that included the proximal
sigmoid. With the HandPort gel cover removed, direct access to the distal
colon allowed us to identify the length which would adhere without difficulty
in a tension-free format. The dissection became very technically difficult due
to the fact that there was a significant amount of adhesions between the
antecolic Roux-en-Y limb I brought up to do the duodenal switch operation.
This limited the extent of the dissection before and after the middle colic
artery.

------

Onward and upward!

Hot DAMN ROO IS A DS'ER. GET BETTER DON'T DO TOO MUCH. YOU HAVE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE TO DO EVERYTHING

Latest posts

Back