RNY to DS - Overwhelmed, Confused and Ready to say forget the whole thing

Solomomof2

I keep asking myself why I did not read the posts in this group a year ago before I spent over $1000 in copays and classes and drove 2.5 hrs one way for 6 months to get approved for a revision from RNY to DS. I got the call last week that I was approved and could get surgery on the 14th. I asked to call back and a week and a day later I'm still not making the call. I realize now I know nothing about this surgery. I only met with Dr. Sharp in Raleigh, NC twice for maybe 10 min each time. So whatever I could learn in 20 minutes is what I know. Now I'm reading ERNY, SADI, divided, undivided and I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I read someone was hospitalized for 5 days after this procedure is that normal? I'm a single mom so I was counting on in one day and out the next. I can't afford 5 days in a hotel and don't even know anyone who has 5 days to stay in a hotel waiting for me to get out. I'm in full on panic mode here. All I know is Dr. Sharp said he'd need to reverse the first surgery and put everything back the way it was. Then he'd do a DS which I'm not sure he explained. When I got the call to schedule my surgery she told me my gallbladder was coming out. Wait...what? Nobody mentioned that and also a hiatal hernia repair. In total 6 hours of surgery. Please explain to me if everyone stays 5 days, if gallbladder removal is standard and what ERNY and SADI mean. I am ready to run for the hills and accept a fat as my future at this point. :frown:

Yes to most of what you said. RNY to DS is the biggest, hardest revision - and likely the ONLY procedure that can help you. You should expect to spend 5 days in the hospital and plan for a few extra because complications with this complicated procedure (yes, he has to reconstruct your stomach first, then carefully divide it the other way, as well as undo your RNY intestines and then redo the intestinal rearrangement to the DS configuration). You will need the time.

You don’t want to keep your gall bladder - it has no useful function after the DS and frequently gets stones and needs to be removed anyway after bariatric surgery. Hiatal hernia repair while doing the sleeve portion is also common (I had one).

The important thing is to find out what KIND of DS he’s planning to do. There is no way in hell I would go through all of this only to end up with a single anastomosis procedure. I’d demand a traditional 2-anastomosis DS or find another surgeon. I’m not familiar with your surgeon as an experienced RNY to DS surgeon, but everything you are saying sounds very thorough and appropriate.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with holding off on surgery until you have a thorough understanding of what is going to be done and why, how much surgery is involved with a RNY to DS revision (a lot!) and what kind of recovery you can expect. This is a much higher risk operation than a virgin DS, complications do happen, and you might need more than 5 days in the hospital, certainly not less.
OK, you should have read more before, but there is nothing to stop you from reading more now. There is tons of information on this website about the DS, the experimental variations called by a bunch of names (SADI, SIPS, loop DS, whatever) which almost everyone here does not support. There are people here who have already had RNY to DS done and you can read their posts and see what kind of recoveries they had.
Time to take a deep breath and learn everything you can. I would also advise asking your potential surgeon, who I have never heard of as doing RNY to DS revisions, how many he's done and what kind of complications he's encountered. If you are not satisfied with his level of experience, not just with "revisions" but with this specific revision, you need to find a different surgeon.

Just had a RnY to DS revision a little over a month ago. I am happy to share with you my experience ask away. First off I spent 3 days in the hospital and was ready to leave the hospital after that. I did travel to SLC from Phoenix for my surgeon and did stay in the area for a few days until returning home, I had my husband come from Phoenix to help me travel home. I have been really blessed with no complications other than normal recovery issues. This is a very difficult surgery I am not going to lie. I have gone through all the feelings associated with having this surgery. I would definitely do your due diligence regarding your surgeon and which surgery he is going to perform. Take a breath it is all very overwhelming, go at your own pace. Good Luck!

There is no way anyone should have surgery without knowing what you are getting. If you do this don't settle for anything BUT a real DS. Having a surgery like this is a big deal. You will NOT, NOT, NOT be home taking care of kids the next day. No way, no how. NOT on this planet. If you do the surgery you need to arrange care for the kids for a couple weeks!

You need to talk to your doc and understand the surgery. Backwards, forwards, and sideways. You need to KNOW what surgery he plans on doing for sure. And if it's not what you want, walk, no, run away.

And getting rid of the GB is a good thing. Saves you another surgery down the road. Fat females almost always get GB disease.

Hi and welcome Solomomof2 ! It's okay, smart even, to take a deep breath and give yourself time to study this life-changing and difficult procedure. It probably presents your best chance of a healthy future with a high quality of life where you can be active with your kids. However, it will be very hard and it is risky and comes with a potential for a very challenging recovery. Also, you will have to be committed to protein and vitamins for life. Take your time and take good care of you!

what I did was look my surgeon up on line and read his qualifications and history,
I am looking at a sleeve surgery in about sept, and doing my due diligence now to
make sure that I know what I am getting into, including what foods I have to give up

Well, they keep calling to schedule this appointment and I keep not answering. I can't bring myself to say no and accept my future looking this way but I'm also not willing to die to be thin and leave my kids orphans. Can someone please, in layman's terms and with no abbreviations, explain what an ERNY and a SADI and divided and undivided is? Every time I attempt to read up on it people list a bunch of abbreviations that I have to try to figure out. Also, I take a bunch of meds for other health issues and I was wondering if everyone does ok with that afterward. I have narcolepsy so without my meds I sleep - great for recovering but I'm a single mom so I need to get up and get going. For those that are several years out, can you now eat somewhat normally? I fear having to drink shakes forever. They are all so disgusting. I know I have to do vitamins and protein forever but I just want to make sure it's not shakes forever.

OK, i'll try to answer some of this.

ERNY the E stands for "extended". This is as opposed to the usual "proximal" gastric bypass, which bypasses very little of the small intestine, or even the "distal" gastric bypass, which bypasses somewhat more - but when they revise someone from proximal to distal gastric bypass, it really doesn't do much good, just a small amount of additional weight loss. So someone came up with the "extended" version, where they bypass a lot more, maybe even as much as with a DS. Problem is, you get the worst of both worlds, meaning all the issues of the gastric bypass pouch (dumping, can't take NSAIDs, etc) with the potential issues of the DS, meaning more vitamin and protein requirements. Some people can make this work, but it's a set up for problems.

Now SADI, aka SIPS, aka loop DS, is a different bird. It has the sleeve like the DS, which is a good thing, and avoids the whole dumping can't take NSAIDs problem, but bypasses much less of the small intestine. The people promoting this experimental operation claim it has less potential nutritional issues with vitamin deficiencies. However, the only way for that to be accurate is for it to NOT have the selective fat malabsorption that makes the standard of care, 2 anastomosis DS the most effective bariatric surgery available.

I've lived with the real, 2 anastomosis DS for over 12 years. I don't live on protein shakes. I hardly used them even in the beginning, though some people do rely on them at first. I can eat any form of protein I want, lean or fatty. I can use whatever cooking method I want. I do sometimes use a protein drink in the morning if I know I'm going to have a busy day. I like the Pure Protein shakes that I can get at Trader Joe's, probably also available on Amazon. They have 35 grams of protein, and if you add just a small amount of milk they taste pretty good. Even without the milk they aren't terrible. Yes, they come in liquid form and cost more than buying a big jug of protein powder, but I can't choke down that stuff, so it's worth it. But mostly I eat real food, and enjoy it.

I’m over 7 years out and maybe drink 2 shakes a YEAR! I eat my protein. My husband who is 5 weeks ahead of me chooses to drink a Premier Protein Shake daily. Just one and he drinks it with his lunch.

Larra explained the abbreviations. I know when I was looking, I was completely confused until one day the light bulb went on. Just keep looking at photos of the differences, understanding will come.

Well, they keep calling to schedule this appointment and I keep not answering. I can't bring myself to say no and accept my future looking this way but I'm also not willing to die to be thin and leave my kids orphans. Can someone please, in layman's terms and with no abbreviations, explain what an ERNY and a SADI and divided and undivided is? Every time I attempt to read up on it people list a bunch of abbreviations that I have to try to figure out. Also, I take a bunch of meds for other health issues and I was wondering if everyone does ok with that afterward. I have narcolepsy so without my meds I sleep - great for recovering but I'm a single mom so I need to get up and get going. For those that are several years out, can you now eat somewhat normally? I fear having to drink shakes forever. They are all so disgusting. I know I have to do vitamins and protein forever but I just want to make sure it's not shakes forever.
I think shakes are disgusting. The smell alone makes me want to heave. I had my DS in 2003 and I have maybe had 4 or 5 shakes so far.

Latest posts

Back