RNY to DS Conversion

Gavin B

Thanks to the valuable information I got from this and the other website, I decided to go with a DS. I had RNY back in 2007. My HW was 365 and I only lost 83 pounds. I was young and stupid and I did not understand WLS surgery and I thought I could eat whatever I wanted as long as the portion was small. Wrong! I developed an incisional hernia and never joined the gym. I went back to my old habits and gained 15 pounds over this 10 years.

My incisional hernia was getting big and noticeable and I decided it to have it repaired. I started looking for answers and I found out that a WLS revision/conversion was possible due to my inadequate weight loss. I visited a local bariatric surgeon and we talked about it and he suggested an endoscopic procedure to reduce the size of my stomach. I was so excited about getting the restriction again. I started looking for information and I found a few websites and people were talking about RNY to DS conversions. I asked my surgeon about it and he told me he did not do that surgery because it was too risky and 25% of the patients end up with a leak. I was really disappointed. I decided to go with the one he knows how to do, he was going to make my pouch smaller again. I asked him about the projected weight loss and he told me that he did not know how much weight I was going to lose. He did not seem convinced. That was a red flag.

I started researching even more and I realized that only a few surgeons in the states do this surgery. I live in FL and I am a full time dad and I could not afford to travel. Well, I crunched some numbers and made some arrangements and decided to start the process with Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX. His staff is awesome. They have a facebook page and his patients are tight. I did everything they requested and submitted all the documents to insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) and after 3.5 long weeks I got an approval. I am having surgery on July 26!

He will repair the hernia as well, hopefully laparoscopically. The only thing is that I have to stay nearby just in case something happens and I need to see him 15 days post op. I found a cheap hotel nearby and will transport via Uber if needed. I am getting nervous but I am also excited. My biggest fear is that I'll die in the surgery room and I will not be able to see my kids again and second that I will not lose the weight like the first time. I am terrified that I will start eating bread, rice and pasta again. I really need to be brainwashed. I actually pray that God will remove those evil desires. LOL

Welcome @Gavin B
Good choice of surgeon. As far as eating carbs....you have to work on the brain part to fix the why of feeling like you need those foods. Surgery will fix your guts but it doesn't fix the brain.

Hi Gavin! Great to see you here! I'm so glad you did your research (wish everyone did) and decided not to waste 10K, which I hear is the going rate, on an endoscopic procedure that has not been shown to be effective. And you were very fortunate not to have to fight your insurer over the revision to DS.
I don't know where that first surgeon got his statistic for a 25% rate of leaks with the revision. Yes, the risks are higher than with a virgin DS, and need to be taken seriously, but not that high, I don't think, especially in the hands of an experienced DS surgeon. There are several people here who have had this type of revision and I hope you will read about their experiences.

I am terrified that I will start eating bread, rice and pasta again. I really need to be brainwashed. I actually pray that God will remove those evil desires. LOL

lots of food are self -reinforcing, if that's a word. I mean, the more sugar I eat the more I want.

same with salt, simple carbs in general and right on up to PASTRY and LASAGNA (biggies for me, YMMV) - so just the break from them you get from having surgery is helpful. also, you are not alone.

Welcome @Gavin B! Good for you for recognizing the red flag of reducing pouch size (overstitch procedure?). You made a comment about laparoscopic hernia repair and I wanted to comment that generally RNY to DS is done open (you want it done open, too).

Hey @Gavin B ! Good to see you again, and thanks for providing info that will be helpful to others. Do you have a date set for your surgery?

Hey @Gavin B ! Good to see you again, and thanks for providing info that will be helpful to others. Do you have a date set for your surgery?

It happened last week, 7/26!!! I traveled to Dallas and I am staying in a hotel near the hospital (just in case). I'm 6 days postop. No complications. He did my ventral hernia repair open (small incision) but he did the DS laparoscopically. I am still taking pain meds because of that hernia repair, it hurt!. Its been though because I'm all by myself with no family. I am in full liquids until Thursday. I've drunk protein shakes, water, water with crystal light and broth. Not hungry at all.

You were key for this Larra!!! I owe you a lot!

Happy to help, and so glad to learn you are already post-op and doing so well. Congratulations! Yes, it's harder to go through something like this by yourself, especially far from home, but you will get through it and be all the stronger for it.

Congratulations! Glad your procedure went well. Please stay hydrated. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Latest posts

Back