RNY to DS Conversion in Florida

Gavin B

This is my first post. :)

I finally found a surgeon that does DS in Florida, Dr. Dennis Smith. Only 25 miles from my house. Does anyone know if he does RNY to DS conversions? I read that he does not. Also, I know that he is very selective. Any feedback?

Hi Gavin! I'm so glad you made it here.
Dr. Smith has an excellent reputation, but to the best of my knowledge he does not do RNY to DS revisions. I wish it were otherwise. Yes, he is said require thorough and careful pre-op work-ups of his patients, but I see that as a good thing.
The closest to Fla that I can think of for RNY to DS revision are Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX, and Dr. Alariny (I may have spelled his name wrong) in VA.

A few years back, Smith wouldn't even do a band-to-DS. Had the patient go to a band surgeon to do a removal, wait four months and then come to him for a DS.

His safety stats are good, but he tends/tended to take the very least likely to have any complications.

(Of course, that would suggest that if problems DO present, he isn't very likely to have had experience dealing with them.)

Some docs require that you have company, some don't. Ask the staff at his office. Of course, you might want someone around even if they don't require it. Also good to ask how long you would need to stay in the area.

I am researching now the SADI. Let's see what happens. Thank you Larra.

Gavin,

The state of the research at this point is that it is still investigational, which CAN mean that once your insurance figures out that you didn't have one of the procedures it allows, it will retroactively "unpay" the surgeon and you will pay for the WHOLE ENCHILADA out of pocket.

There have been four studies so far, but there are still unaddressed issues. Here is what the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons are saying:

https://asmbs.org/resources/position-statement-single-anastomosis-duodenal-switch

Sue

I just had revision from VSG to DS the 7th of April. I had Dr. K in CA. I think he does RNY to DS. He is amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him! He not only is an excellent surgeon, but also a VERY caring person.

I just had revision from VSG to DS the 7th of April. I had Dr. K in CA. I think he does RNY to DS. He is amazing! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him! He not only is an excellent surgeon, but also a VERY caring person.
Dr. K is one of the highly regarded RNY to DS surgeons.

i had Distal Rny to DS revision with Dr. K. he is the complete package. Great cutter and bed side manners to match. That man is so smart and caring!

Dr. Smith does not do the conversion, he said he could make my pouch smaller though. I was thinking about that, but I need to lose 100+ pounds and from what I've read, you dont lose much with this procedure RNY to RNY. I'd hate myself if I lose only 20 pounds. I am considering Dr. K and Dr. Ayoola now. I'll have to travel by myself. I am concerned about the follow ups and how many times I'd have to travel.

These are valid concerns, but I think you're right that just tinkering with what you have now isn't going to do enough for you. Contact the offices of the surgeons you are considering and ask about travel, how long you would need to stay nearby, etc. Dr. K for sure is used to working with patients who travel from great distances, and it wouldn't surprise me if Dr. Ayoola also sees patients from out of town, esp for revisions.
As far as follow-up goes, your local pcp can order labs for you. If he or she won't, you need a new pcp.

Latest posts

Back