Revision to BPD or full DS?

jenjenviola

I had a consult with Dr. Elariny in Va..he suggested a revsion to bpd instead of full DS from an open gastric bypass done 20 years ago. Lots of posts online say bpd is not as good..has anybody had this done? Please share any thoughts or experience..it is all a bit confusing. Thanks!

Hi again, jenjenviola ! You already know my opinion from elsewhere, so I'll let others chime in. I will only add that Dr. Elariny is well known in the DS community, has an excellent reputation, and I wonder if what he spoke of was BPD or was it SADI/SIPS/loop DS. Anyway, hopefully other folks here will give you some feedback.

I would ask exactly how he plans on creating the sleeve, and get limb lengths. It is possible that he or his staff is doing what many STAFF do and refer to the DS as the BPD as in BPD/DS.
And welcome jenjenviola

Welcome! The BPD is an old surgery not done anymore but some people use "BPD" as shorthand to refer to the DS but it is not the correct name. It is very misleading in fact. The real DS is the BPD-DS. I wonder if he is referring to the SIPS or "loop" versus the real DS. You might give the office a call and ask for clarification for the surgeries he mentioned in your consult. It is important that you have the correct information.

I think he should explain what is done in the BPS that hes talking about. If you want the DS and will stick to the strict regime stick to your guns and get it.

He probably means

1- leave the stomach alone (small pouch no pyloric valve)
2- rearrange the small intestine as in the ds( short common channel, alimentary channel connected to stomach and common channel, bilo pancreatic channel connected to junction of alimentary channel and common channel)

This was how it was done before the stomach was sectioned as a VSG preserving the pyloric valve

One benefit is less reflux
One detriment is dumping syndrome

Never, ever assume. She needs to get the information directly from the surgeon.

I had a consult with Dr. Elariny in Va..he suggested a revsion to bpd instead of full DS from an open gastric bypass done 20 years ago. Lots of posts online say bpd is not as good..has anybody had this done? Please share any thoughts or experience..it is all a bit confusing. Thanks!
you need to educate you self on the mechanics of a TRUE DS before you agree to anything. BPS biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch is the full name of the DS. But it sounds like he is not planning on doing that to you. Please don't accept a more distal RNY or SIPS/SADI. make sure you have him about you a diagram of what your guts will look like, and ask if you'll have two anastomosis.

Checkout the OP s message... she has had a gastric bypass for 20 years

"he suggested a revsion to bpd instead of full DS from an open gastric bypass done 20 years ago. "
What her doctor is suggesting is a distal RNY as unless her surgeon is going to add her remnant stomach back just to make a bigger pouch of the BPD.
Photo comparing the two:

Notice the BPD still removes the pyloric valve.

Also, Are you sure the BPD had a larger stomach? My read is the stomach is left alone here... definitely a question for the surgeon
https://www.dsfacts.com/history-of-duodenal-switch.php
Biliopancreatic Diversion (BPD)
Dr. Nicola Scopinaro introduced the Biliopancreatic Diversion in Italy during 1979.The procedure combines malabsorption with some gastric restriction. A large pouch between 250 and 400 ccs is created with the upper portion and the lower stomach is surgically removed (distal gastrectomy). The pyloric valve is circumvented so "dumping" often occurs. The duodenum (top part of the small intestine) is bypassed and the stomach pouch is connected to the lower 2-3 meters of the small intestine. Then, 4-metres of the small bowel (60%) is bypassed making the channel approximately 50 cm.

I had a distal rny in 1997. I couldn't eat anything. I had stopped eating meat without realizing. All i could eat was slider foods.

Latest posts

Back