Revision of lap band to DS in September

Hope4anewme

I am looking for support and information as I wait for my surgery date. I have been overweight all of my life and as I approach my 55th Birthday, I am tired of being morbidly obese. I have a variety of expected medical conditions and I am tired of all the aches and pains. I want to lose this weight before I develop anymore medical issues that could be much more dangerous. I work full time in a very stressful profession that has me traveling by car with 2-4 days away from home a week making eating healthy very difficult. This is tmy journey and I am looking forward to learning yours.

Welcome! There are a bunch of us converted lapbanders about. It was the best decision I ever made - I can now eat in a restaurant without having to scope out where the loos are for when food gets stuck. And I am much thinner than I ever was even suffering with that disordered eating.

Hi and welcome Hope4anewme! I had a virgin DS 7 years ago and it was one of he best decisions I've ever made! Who is your surgeon? I look forward to following your journey.
I am going to Mexico for surgery. I cannot afford it here in the states. I am really excited about this and have been reading everything I can find.

I am going to Mexico for surgery. I cannot afford it here in the states. I am really excited about this and have been reading everything I can find.

This is supposed to sound “cautionary,” but likely sounds all gloom-doomy. Ignore the scary parts, k?

The reason we ask who your surgeon is, is because we have heard, over 5-10-16 (in DianaCox ’s case) years, who has provided great medical care and who should not be allowed near anything that breathes...in several countries.

In the case of Mexico, there is also a different (paternalistic?) set of laws and custons. As in, one patient who went in for a band woke up with a gastric balloon, because after she was under anesthesia, HER arrogant surgeon decided that “the balloon was really a better choice for her.” This, apparently, is not considered malpractice in that locale. (I’m not anti-Mexican surgeons...I got my band in Monterrey.)

Anyway...if you don’t want to mention your surgeon’s name, that’s fine..it is YOUR business. BUT...if you found him/her via a “coordinator,” we may have a few warnings to share. Other than maybe a couple of REALLY BAD guys we can warn you about, we have several members who have had EXCELLENT treatment and results in Mexico. (And we know of US surgeons with 30-40% of their patients having serious post-op complications.)

So share or don’t. But if you don’t, research the hell out of the surgeon.

Welcome and good luck to you,

Sue
CrapBand at age 55-ish, revision to DS at age 58, old now at 72!

Latest posts

Back