Revision from RNY to DS: Surgery Update

Good morning to all!! Thank you so much for checking up on me as I begin this new journey. Things have been moving along well, I've had a few bumps in the road here and there, but over all I feel good, I'm loosing weight (maybe not as fast as some might like), but I'm ok with loosing inches within my clothes first and then noticing later that the pounds have dropped. I'm now 7wks post op, and so far I've lost 28lbs. I don't really know what the average weight loss should be for someone like me, but I'm ok in how the weight is coming off. I walk 2-2.5 miles at the gym 3-4 days a week, and I've begun lifting weights for muscle toning. I'm registered in the Cowtown 5K Marathon which takes place here in Ft. Worth, TX on Feb. 28th. My daughter and I will be walking the 5K..not running. Lol.

Over all, I feel good. My arthritic knee has not being bothering me nearly as much as it had been last year this time, and I'm sure that's because of the pounds I've loss so far. I've finally found a protein shake that I actually like! Its the Premier Protein 30g protein, 1g of sugar, 160 calories. The strawberry & cream is the best. I purchase this at Sam's for under $19.00 for a case of 12. I'm drinking 2-3 protein shakes a day along with my vitamins and chewable bariatric calcium. In the beginning the bariatric calcium pills (horse pills) were gagging me- even after being cut in half, so I was told about some chewables from my doctor's office and they work. I order them online, they are not cheap-but they work.

The hardest part of this journey for me has been trying to get it into my head that I no longer have the gastric bypass, I am no longer dumping because my food is actually staying within my tummy without emptying quickly. With the gastric bypass, my stoma was open wide and when I ate, food just passed on through so I could actually just keep eating. Now I can't do that, and there have be times that I've ignored the fullness warning signs and have taken just one more bite-only to end up vomiting. This has been the biggest learning adjustment for me so far, and its not pleasant. But, I'm beginning to pay closer attention to how I feel while eating, so hopefully I have learned my lesson.

Sorry for the long post...Have a good day everyone!​

Congrats and I hope all is going good with you. Did you have an Open or Laproscopic revision? I am getting ready for my final EGD test then for insurance approval. Wondering if you can describe the recovery room, did you get to have ice chips soon after? Did you have any blood transfusions? Please share more.

My conversion from the open RNY gastric bypass to DS was done through a laparoscopic procedure. I was in surgery for 5 hours, due to the removal of a lot of scar tissue caused by the gastric bypass. I don't remember the recovery room, because when I finally began to wake up I was already in my room on the unit. As for ice chips, I wasn't able to have ice chips until early the following morning after surgery. I did not have to have any blood transfusions. I would strongly recommend packing an abdominal wrap with you, in case your doctor doesn't provide you with one. It will make your getting in and out of the bed a lot easier and it offers a little piece of mind that everything is going to stay in place.

Last edited:
@YW it sounds like you're doing great. there is definitely a learning curve for all of us, revision or no. I think everyone takes that one bite too many at least once. You will learn the new signals that your sleeve is full and it won't be a problem any more. And really, feeling full is a normal feeling, one that was missing with your nonfunctional stoma.

Latest posts

Back