Revision from RNY to DS: Surgery Update

YW_

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that my RNY revision to DS went very well on Monday with Dr. Ayoola. I was in surgery a little while longer than what we had anticipated and that was due to the amount of scar tissue that I've developed from the two previous procedures I've had done years ago as a way to prevent the constant dumping. Dr. Ayoola said that he was very pleased with the outcome and expects me to make a full recovery. He said a lot more, that I can't recall right now 4 days post op, but I when I go in for my check up I will ask for more details, limb measurements etc.

This is my 2nd morning home and sleeping in a recliner, with my husband by my side on the sofa. I didn't realize the effect that this would have on my husband, but I see now the worry and fear that he went through while he waited for me to emerge from surgery after 5hrs. He's been VERY supportive and I am thanking God for him constantly.

Ok--- now I need help.... I've begun drinking the protein shakes and was doing quite well with my 30ml sips every 15min, until the extremely painful lactose intolerant gas pains kicked in. My husband and I arrived at GNC last night 5 minutes after the store closed in search of Milk Free Whey Protein. The very kind store employee unlocked the door, listened to me and said that such a thing exists but couldn't sell it to me after store hours. I also have an appointment this morning to have my drained pulled within the next 4hrs, so I will bring this urgent problem up to the staff, but I am also asking for advice here from those who have been down this road.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yvonne

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that my RNY revision to DS went very well on Monday with Dr. Ayoola. I was in surgery a little while longer than what we had anticipated and that was due to the amount of scar tissue that I've developed from the two previous procedures I've had done years ago as a way to prevent the constant dumping. Dr. Ayoola said that he was very pleased with the outcome and expects me to make a full recovery. He said a lot more, that I can't recall right now 4 days post op, but I when I go in for my check up I will ask for more details, limb measurements etc.

This is my 2nd morning home and sleeping in a recliner, with my husband by my side on the sofa. I didn't realize the effect that this would have on my husband, but I see now the worry and fear that he went through while he waited for me to emerge from surgery after 5hrs. He's been VERY supportive and I am thanking God for him constantly.

Ok--- now I need help.... I've begun drinking the protein shakes and was doing quite well with my 30ml sips every 15min, until the extremely painful lactose intolerant gas pains kicked in. My husband and I arrived at GNC last night 5 minutes after the store closed in search of Milk Free Whey Protein. The very kind store employee unlocked the door, listened to me and said that such a thing exists but couldn't sell it to me after store hours. I also have an appointment this morning to have my drained pulled within the next 4hrs, so I will bring this urgent problem up to the staff, but I am also asking for advice here from those who have been down this road.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Yvonne

Hi, congratulations on your successful surgery. I’m still pre-op, but take the protein shakes and I had a problem with whey also, even tried the whey isolate. I use this 100% egg white protein mix now and it s pretty good, with no side effects. It’s called: Healthy 'N Fit 100% Egg Protein-Heavenly-Chocolate and I think you can get it even at Wal-Mart or GNC etc. I just get mine from Amazon. It’s certainly not cheap, but….it works for me. My best wishes to you.

P.S. Don't get the vanilla or strawberry, as with most/all protein powders, those flavors suck big fat hairy monkey paws...lol

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Fit-Protein-Heavenly-Chocolate/dp/B00166D8TW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1418993337&sr=1-1&keywords=Healthy 'N Fit 100% Egg Protein

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Glad you are home and revised...welcome to the dark side.

What were you using to MAKE the protein shakes...if not water, try water....not milk of any kind for now.

TBH, there is no such critter as milk FREE whey isolate. Whey is a type of milk by product.

1) start taking a lactaid pill if you can.
2) switch to an egg or soy protein for now.

I had NEVER, ever been lactose intolerant in my life...in fact, I never switched from whole milk. So I get home from the hospital after my DS and of course one of the first things I did was make a protein shake WITH whole milk...OMG, I have never ever been so miserable in my life.

Even now, at almost 4 years out, I still take a lactaid pill daily, can not drink whole milk and ice cream is a problem. I can handle yogurt, cheese, sour cream, butter, half and half or heavy cream, etc. And yes, I drink protein shakes (BUT only made with water)

Make sure if it is a whey isolate, that whey isolate is listed not whey "concentrate" or whey "BLEND".

Congratulations on your revision surgery! I think you're doing exceptionally well for so soon post-op from this type of revision. And you'll feel better with the drain out also.

the only protein drink I was able to tolerate was the Adkins shakes. Cheapest place I found for them was Walmart. Best served very cold, chocolate was best, strawberry was awful.

Congratulations on your revision surgery! I think you're doing exceptionally well for so soon post-op from this type of revision. And you'll feel better with the drain out also.

the only protein drink I was able to tolerate was the Adkins shakes. Cheapest place I found for them was Walmart. Best served very cold, chocolate was best, strawberry was awful.

Sorry about all the repeat posts. I don't know how that happened!

I like the stuff @robs477 mentioned. It is egg whites AND...this is important for many people...it has no sugar alcohols. Many people experience gastric issues with sugar alcohols...they are the stuff that ends in "itol" on the ingredient list, like sorbitol, mannitol, xylitol...that kind of thing. This brand uses Stevia.

Oh, and let's get @Barb1 involved. She was going to try powdered egg white protein...no flavoring, no sweeteners. I think it's time for a review!!

Sorry about all the repeat posts. I don't know how that happened!
It happens because WE (and I do it too) get impatient and hit the post reply button more than one time while it's THINKING!

Thank you all for the very valuable information. Yeah, I realized that I made a mistake by mentioning Whey as Milk Free...consider it a duh moment! I purchased some Vegan Plant Protein from GNC. I will mix that with some water or Soy Milk and see how that goes. The JP drain was pulled this morning and I already feel like a new woman..8lbs lighter, but not counting. The gas has not gone away completely just but dr's office gave me the ok to start using my previous gas relief Digestive Advantage for gas, (used this for years with the rny). In good spirits despite the one painful incision on the lower left. I was told that is where the stomach was removed, so its normal to hurt there.
I will keep you all posted. And thanks again for all of the advice and I will try the egg protein if this plant protein tastes like crap. The good thing about GNC is that I can return it if that's the case.
Y

Congrats on a successful revision! Don't feel bad if you don't like the vegan shake, I had gotten some samples of those and found them to be horrible, but the good news is that GNC or Vitamin Shoppe will take back an open container if you don't like it or if it hurts your tummy. I did that quite a bit with them until I found ones that I like. I also use egg white protein sometimes (my tummy seems to change its mind about what it can tolerate every now and again). I like the unflavored NOW brand on amazon and mix it with hazelnut stevia drops and caramel extract. Yummy, as far as protein shakes go!

Congrats and I hope all is going good with you. Did you have an Open or Laproscopic revision? I am getting ready for my final EGD test then for insurance approval. Wondering if you can describe the recovery room, did you get to have ice chips soon after? Did you have any blood transfusions? Please share more.

Congratulations on your successful procedure! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Stay hydrated. As early post-op focus mainly on basic hydration now, protein can come later. Remember the 30-60-90 day rule. (try to get 30g protein per day by 30 days out, 60g by 60 days post surgery). ISS Oh Yeah! Protein shakes are lactose free and fairly widely available.

@ YW I am going to be r n y revision myself. Wondering how you are doing. Hope it's been uneventful.

Latest posts

Back