Researching VGS to DS revision

craig65

Hola,

I'm 65 y/o with two WLS behind me; 2001 Lapband, Dr Kuri, Tijuana.....2012 VGS, Dr Aceves, Mexicali.

Currently at 43 BMI......Looking at a VGS to DS revision .......if possible.....considering Mexicali.

Craig..........retired to Oak Harbor,WA

Hi and welcome!
I hope you aren't kicking yourself for not having better results. The lap band failure rate is very high, and its reoperation rate is the highest of any bariatric surgery. And while VSG is certainly better and some people are successful, many are not. We see new people all the time looking into revision from VSG to DS.
Sadly, Dr. Aceves passed away a few years ago, but Dr. Esquerra is available and very highly regarded. He worked with Dr. Ungson, who went on to take a government job (though I read someplace that he was back in practice - but I can't confirm that). Both Dr. Esquerra and his hospital have had very positive feedback here, so I hope some of the people who had their DS with him will chime in soon.

I’ve seen a recent poster on FB who had Ungson about a month ago. Don’t know if he’s back permanently but he was there.

Thanks All!

Was very successful with the LapBand in 2001, Dr Kuri was excellent, but the stomach does not react well to being in a vice long term.

Dr Aceves and Sleeve surgery in Mexicali, 2012, was an excellent experience also.

Just got DS surgery approval from Nina at Mexicali Bariatric Center.

Lots to think about..........

Medicare covers the DS; however, I'm not sure about their revision requirements, since revisions are not mentioned - I would ask any surgeon you might consult whether this is possible.

"Effective for services performed on and after February 21, 2006, Open and laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP), open and laparoscopic Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS) or Gastric Reduction Duodenal Switch (BPD/GRDS), and laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) are covered for Medicare beneficiaries who have a body-mass index ≥ 35, have at least one co-morbidity related to obesity, and have been previously unsuccessful with medical treatment for obesity."

"Effective for services performed on and after February 12, 2009, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) determines that Type 2 diabetes mellitus is a co-morbidity for purposes of this NCD."​

https://www.cms.gov/medicare-covera...gAAAABAAAAAAAA=& CMS NCD on bariatric surgery

Medicare covers the DS; however, I'm not sure about their revision requirements, since revisions are not mentioned - I would ask any surgeon you might consult whether this is possible.
If they are, I don't find any mention. BUT I also do not find any Decision Memo saying it isn't either. You are going to have to meet original qualifications for sure. 40 BMI and above with no comorbids. 35 BMI and above WITH comorbids. (Typically diabetes or sleep apnea are two of the big ones).

I am in! Am scheduled for Sleeve to DS revision surgery in Mexicali with Dr Ungson......Sept 25th.

Probably could have gone the Medicare route.....and Medicare now does not decline based on age alone but I'm too old to hurry up and wait.
There is a lot of great research info I found on this site......but the personal experiences and thoughts shared here make this decision easy.

What wait? Medicare doesn't require (or offer) preauthorization. So long as you meet their requirements (body-mass index ≥ 35, have at least one co-morbidity related to obesity, and have been previously unsuccessful with medical treatment for obesity), you just do it.

It's up to you, of course. But I would call Dr. K first, if you have a comorbidity.

Probably could have gone the Medicare route.....and Medicare now does not decline based on age alone but I'm too old to hurry up and wait.
As long as you meet the criteria, there is NO wait for Medicare. You might have to wait on the surgeon's schedule. I had mine thru Medicare, had to sign the form that if Medicare denied, i was on the hook for the amount. Medicare paid their fair cost and I owed nothing.

Latest posts

Back