Regain and workouts

I have regained over the last year 37 Lbs. I had gotten down to 180's but could never get under that. I am now around 216. I lost 10 pounds since January only and stuck again :(. I have started meal prepping and planning again and talking with a nutritionist. She is all about the calories and not as much what they come from other than veggies. She wants some of the same things but she really pushes salads and veggies as snacks, she wants me at 1200 calories a day. I have been training for a 12 k this weekend in SF but she doesn't want me doing more than 2 miles a day and rather weights. I am asking for any suggestions I want to lose the regain and get on a good track with the gym. What should I do for macros or calories? I use to do 150 protein, 50 carbs, and 80 fat. I am 2.5 years out from my DS, but he didn't cut my intestines very short because he didn't want me with to much malabsorption. I just ordered a copy of my report to see how much was done. I am getting all my blood work done later this month too for an update it's been a year.

I wonder if you got a real DS? Regain at 2.5 years is very unusual. Most people at this stage are still losing slowly. And someone who is doing things like running a 12K should still be losing easily. Your surgeon has not done you any favors with a long CC. Post your report when you get it! It will be very helpful to know what you are working with!

Following... I'm at 2 years. I feel like I can eat a ton. Got to 193 and now stuck at 215ish. :(

1--Is your DS really a DS? Sounds more like sleeve or RnY regain.
2--Is your "nutritionist" a registered dietician? Probably wouldn't make much difference because they usually can't unlearn the basics...but the RD MIGHT be better able to try than someone with no real education.

Okay, this part is a bizarre example, but humor me....
3--Depending on how much of those 1200 calories are coming from fat, you might make yourself really sick on a 1200 calorie diet. Let me provide an example and DianaCox will correct my math. (She always does.)
•The web page I'm looking at says a slice of bacon has 42 calories.
•And, it says that 29 of those calories are from fat.

(Here is where DianaCox will start pulling her hair and fixing thngs:)
When I eat a slice of bacon, I'm eating
•42 calories LESS 80% of the 29 fat calories.
Like this... 42-(29 x .8)= 18.8

So, if you wanted to eat 1200 calories and decided to eat only bacon, you could eat 28.5 slices.
EXCEPT... your body would absorb only 537 of those calories. It doesn't take long to get sick on a 537 calorie/day diet.

So...good luck with this.

But you should be able to lose that regained weight on a (short term) diet of bacon and eggs.

Last edited:
Also, you’d not be absorbing about half of the protein calories either, so that slice of bacon would actually have 18.8 - 6.5 = 12.3 calories.

Also, you’d not be absorbing about half of the protein calories either, so that slice of bacon would actually have 18.8 - 6.5 = 12.3 calories.

LOL...yes. (Let's just count fat calories, Sue, because carbs and protein and other stuff doesn't count.) But my current excuse is that I'm drugged! Wait. I'm usually drugged. And then there's dotage. Anyway...

So, 12.3 calories x 28.5 slices mean (this is a question):

If my sister (gastric sleeve and she's regained most of the lost weight) and I each eat 28.5 slices of bacon, her body will absorb 1197 calories, and my body will absorb 351 calories?

And, for LivingTheDSlife , this is where we have to keep an eye on nutrition "experts," credentialed or not. In this example, a DSer will have to EAT over three times as much bacon in order to ABSORB what the non-DS person absorbs. If you can find an "expert," with enough expertise to remember this, you are ahead of the game.

Also, because I'm a busybody, I just want to mention that sometimes, when we have a history of eating in a compulsive kind of way, some people replace the eating with a new "thing." It could be booze, or a suddenly very active sex life, or diving head-first into a "positive" activity, like starting a business or...exercise.

I had a bounced back from 117 to 128. I was happy there. Then I gained up to 136. I felt sluggish and my clothing was tight. I tried everything- upped protein and fats, cut carbs, even, to the delight of my dogs, increased exercised. Nothing worked for me. So I changed my diet to a form of Intermittent fasting. I only ate in a 6 or 8 hour window. I also eliminated sugar, alcohol, reduced carbs to 20-50 grams, and focused on Organic meats fresh veggies and cheese. Fats about 150. I lost that excess in about 2 weeks and have been maintaining for a couple of months. I really think the fasting component that kick started my loss.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back