Reflecting on my journey

MsVee

I apologize this is so long but I need to share. I don’t post often although I read this board regularly and have since it was started. I just want to share where I am and how I got here.

I have never reached my goal weight even after 2 weight loss surgeries and have struggled with feelings of failure. I blame myself because I researched weight loss surgery and had the RNY in 2005. I knew about the BPD-DS and knew it was the surgery best suited for me.

A doctor I trusted suggested that the weight loss difference between the RNY and DS would be less than 20 lbs so there was no need for the “extreme risk” for the DS. This doctor was not a Bariatric surgeon and I believe he was simply ill informed about the difference in the surgeries. I had done my research but I allowed myself to be swayed.

I believed I messed up. And as the weight started creeping back on after the RNY I felt hopeless. I had already attempted several weight loss options. Weight watchers, Jenny Craig, a medically supervised fast, and pretty much every diet plan. I always lost weight. My problem was I always gained it back plus 10 to 15 lbs more.

I returned to various weight loss boards because I knew with my altered anatomy I needed information geared towards my new nutritional needs. On the WLS boards I learned that there were surgeons revising RNYs to DS. I started researching this surgery contacted my insurance and started over.

I was cautiously optimistic that converting my RNY to a DS would work. After my failure with the RNY it was hard for me to “believe“ this would work. I simply knew I had to do something and this seemed like the best option. I hope contacted one of the few surgeons doing the RNY conversions to DS. I made all the appointments. Completed all the testing I went in for my final appointment to sign papers and the doctor said he changed his mind about my surgery. He informed me he would do an ERNY and not he DS we had discussed. When I expressed my disappointment he said “ there are only a few doctors who do this surgery. What are you going to do fly to California to see Ara?

I posted on the WLS board how upset I was and Diana Cox and several others responded. I actually contacted Dr K and had the DS in April of 2012. I have lost 200 lbs from my highest weight but I am still obese. I know that my health is much improved but I still need to lose 60 lbs.

I sometimes beat myself up because I wonder if I had stuck to my guns and had the surgery I knew was best for me would I have lost more weight? I know I can’t go back in time so I have to accept where I am now.

I don’t post often because I feel like such a failure. I don’t feel entitled to give advice yet I know I have learned so much from living with the RNY and the DS.

Life is too short to live in regret. I am tired of just being an observer. I love this board for all the support and knowledge you provide. My goal for 2020 is to be more prese2233

The picture is me at a heavier weight. Unfortunately it was not my highest weight.

MsVee First, while you may feel like such a failure, you are very much a success! :) Past procedures and doctors may have failed you, but you are a determined, smart, beautiful person who has gone above and beyond to fight for her health.

Some people are blessed with fast metabolisms - others aren't (like pretty much everyone on this site). The latter group have to fight much harder to lose and maintain that loss. Most simply can't. Think of how far you have come due to sheer will! Think of what you have endured. You are down 200 lbs - you are so much healthier. You are perfect as you are. You are a champion!

Please share your experience and wisdom. We can all benefit from it.

Last edited:
You are NOT a failure! You lost 200 frikkin pounds, for Pete's sake! That's a huge accomplishment. As to the remaining 60 that you would like to part company with, even the DS isn't a miracle cure, and different people get different results.
You should be proud not only of that accomplishment, but also of your determination to go forward in the face of professionals (and maybe others) who tried to discourage you. Now just do the best you can with what you have, and get out there and enjoy life.

like everyone said, you are not a failure! it took a lot of courage to even do one WLS! and it's not your fault you've had bad medical advice. :(

please try to concentrate on the loss, rather than beat yourself up about wanting/needing to lose 60 pounds more. none of it was easy.

and I hope you continue to post more often!

MsVee I totally understand. I felt those feelings as well I had RNY in 2004 lost 130 lbs only to gain it back because partially my surgery failed me (stoma from pouch to intestines enlarged so no restriction) and then I threw in the towel and let everything go to hell. When I first started the regain I did seek out surgeons to fix the issue (2007ish) and there were no real solutions and at that time I had not even heard of revision surgery. Fast forward to 2017 began looking for solutions because I could not even function at the weight I was. I learned about the revision Rny to DS and I never looked back now at 24 months out I have no regrets at all!
YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE YOU ARE A WARRIOR! We all have a hard fight to fight but look how far we have come! Hold your head up high and walk with pride what you have done is not easy, I know I have been there! I am sure any other member here who have gone through with revision surgery will agree with me! You are perfect just the way you are!

While you may think you're a failure, I don't see it that way. Also, you don't have to be the poster child of WLS to be an important part of our family here. You have given support and showed compassion when some of us thought we needed a kick in the butt. Emotional support is a valuable part for all of us no matter where we are on our journey.

After reading this, I'm more forgiving of the post-surgery gain that I have now. Logically, I know I'm not a failure. Emotionally, I have my doubts.

Thank you for sharing.

While you may think you're a failure, I don't see it that way. Also, you don't have to be the poster child of WLS to be an important part of our family here. You have given support and showed compassion when some of us thought we needed a kick in the butt. Emotional support is a valuable part for all of us no matter where we are on our journey.

After reading this, I'm more forgiving of the post-surgery gain that I have now. Logically, I know I'm not a failure. Emotionally, I have my doubts.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you. You will never know how much I needed to see this today. It is funny because of my weight loss surgery I have 2 family members and 1friend who have all had surgery. All of them are within 10 to 20 lbs of their goal weights. That was never my story. I am happy for their success and grateful for my progress but wish I would have made it to my goal weight.

MsVee My mind messes me up more than I'd like to admit. I have two friends who had the sleeve and one who had the RNY. All of them have regained weight. It saddens me because they're nice and always were encouraging me.

Then there's Fluffy Ellen whose name I can't remember and wouldn't use if I did. She was the leader of the support group in town. It was sponsored by the hospital where I had my surgery. ( As some of you may recall, mine was the first DS for those surgeons. I knew I'd be the only DSer there, yet I wasn't aware of any online groups.) I attended a meeting and met another DSer. After listening to Fluffy Ellen yammer on about how wonderful she was and how the RNY changed her life, she'd open the floor for discussion/questions. If anyone mentioned any other surgery, she'd brush them off. I decided I would've waste anymore time.

That was in 2008. Last year I went to a department store and behind the counter, was a familiar face with a big hairdo, hence the name Fluffy Ellen. A few days later, I realized she was Fluffy Ellen and massively overweight. It was her hair that helped me recognize her. I was in the store later and it took every fiber of my being to not say, "You should have had the DS." I'll admit to feeling superior. Then the twinges of guilt started coming on. I would never intentionally say anything to her like that. But to this day, I still think it. And that unkind thought still brings on a twinge of shame. I still struggle with my regain, but she's the only one I feel malice for.

That little encounter reminded me we all have our own journey. I still have my emotional and physical struggles. I put my past feelings behind (or least keep working on it) and try not to chide myself for my failures. I am mostly content with myself and accepting of my gain.

We humans are an enigma. I never wanted to say these things publicly. Your honesty is one of the reasons you are an important person in our community. Perhaps we can make a pact to be kinder to ourselves and keep forging ahead. And not to compare ourselves to others, whether we wish we could be as "successful" as others or take just a little satisfaction in other's "failures".

Latest posts

Back