Question(s) about knees and osteoporosis...

Spiky Bugger

Part One--I was told by my former knee guru...he retired, we moved...that the prime candidates for really bad knees/knee replacement surgery are 55+ overweight females. I fall into all of those categories. I get Synvisc injections. BUT...I was told to avoid unnecessary walking (and that each step is equal to three times your body weight on that already compromised knee), park closer to the store, use handicapped parking, use barstools instead of low chairs, get rid of sportscars (because getting out is tough on knees) and get an SUV so we can step DOWN to get out of a car.

Part Two--just got my Dexascan results and my hips, but not my spine, have moved into osteoporosis. Combating osteoporosis requires WEIGHT-BEARING EXERCISE...of exactly the kind that the knee-saving stuff prohibits.

Anybody here figured out how to deal with those "conflicting cures?"

My mom had bisphosphonates which took her from osteoporosis all the way to healthy. She got them while she was out in Spain so I'm not too sure on the name.

I know she took them for one week a month and had to take them first thing in the morning and had to stay vertical for an hour. She didn't suffer any esophegeal issues or jaw necrosis.

She does 'stroll' ie meander along very slowly, so she walks to that extent but other than that she doesn't exercise.

You can get bisphosphonates you take only once a year. I know that they're a last resort, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Last edited:
Part Two--just got my Dexascan results and my hips, but not my spine, have moved into osteoporosis. Combating osteoporosis requires WEIGHT-BEARING EXERCISE...of exactly the kind that the knee-saving stuff prohibits.

Anybody here figured out how to deal with those "conflicting cures?"

This part I can address - water aerobics. At my local YMCA they offer two kinds; deep water and the low impact - you want the latter. It's in 3-4 feet of warm water so you aren't floundering, you're standing. It's a full body workout but great for some light load bearing exercise and helps with arthritis.

One has to love the art of medicine as my endocrinologist nixed water aerobics. I solved the problem by having a knee replacement. Of course I was bone-on-bone in my knee so I would have had it replaced with or without osteoporosis. For my osteoporosis, I took Boniva for two years and my bone loss has stopped. Now I'm taking Forteo to build up bone mass. My next dexascan is due in August so until then, I have no idea if the Forteo is helping. I suggest lots of research and picking the solution that is easiest to live with. Good luck; it's a daunting task.

This part I can address - water aerobics. At my local YMCA they offer two kinds; deep water and the low impact - you want the latter. It's in 3-4 feet of warm water so you aren't floundering, you're standing. It's a full body workout but great for some light load bearing exercise and helps with arthritis.
Thanks, but my guy said water aerobics are GOOD, but not enough impact to count.

???

You were advised otherwise?

@huneypie
One has to love the art of medicine as my endocrinologist nixed water aerobics. I solved the problem by having a knee replacement. Of course I was bone-on-bone in my knee so I would have had it replaced with or without osteoporosis. For my osteoporosis, I took Boniva for two years and my bone loss has stopped. Now I'm taking Forteo to build up bone mass. My next dexascan is due in August so until then, I have no idea if the Forteo is helping. I suggest lots of research and picking the solution that is easiest to live with. Good luck; it's a daunting task.

I'm terrified of the bisphosphonates because I met a woman...the relative of a friend...who ended up with no jaw. i don't even know if she's still alive.

Do you know if we absorb those well...or if someone who already has reflux should even bother? (Honestly, I think I'm looking for an excuse to NOT use those...)

My Boniva was injectable because of the malabsorption from my surgery. I got an injection every three month. My doctor did not like the one that you only inject once a year due to its long life in the body. I understand your reluctance due to your friend's experience. My fear of osteoporosis was greater due to what happened to my mom. She had to have both hips replaced due to pathological fractures. One of hers resulted from twisting as she got off the toilet. She crashed into the sink and fractured several ribs that then punctured her lungs. How I hate this freaking six of one/half a dozen of another shit we have to evaluate and then make a choice.

The injectable is expensive, but fortunately was covered by my insurance. Best wishes for resolving this dilemma.

Thanks, but my guy said water aerobics are GOOD, but not enough impact to count.

???

You were advised otherwise?

Yes, I was told it was the best option. Why yours wouldn't think there isn't enough impact is beyond me! Deep water, yes - you're just floating, but running and walking through water is no easy feat!

http://www.examiner.com/article/low-impact-water-aerobics-for-high-impact-benefits

This article explains that the buoyancy of the water lessens the impact on weight bearing joints while the water's resistance yields better results than walking on land. I've done water aerobics and I do like it. I agree that running in water isn't easy because of the resistance, yet it doesn't do much to build bone strength. At least that's what I've been told and this article seems to back that up.

@huneypie

I'm terrified of the bisphosphonates because I met a woman...the relative of a friend...who ended up with no jaw. i don't even know if she's still alive.

Do you know if we absorb those well...or if someone who already has reflux should even bother? (Honestly, I think I'm looking for an excuse to NOT use those...)
K9ophile already replied about the injectables. I understand your fear. I'm on strontium at the as I only have some osteopenia, so you could add that if you're not already on it.

Latest posts

Back