Question about ADEK

Sleeve2DS

I see that most people say avoid the Multi-ADEK. The one I have has a little over the recommended doses of each so why take 5 separate pills instead of just 1 (three times a day)? I know that further down the road I may have to increase one of them and not all based on labs so I may have to supplement separately. I'm thinking it's okay to start out with the ADEK and adjust later as needed. Thoughts?

Next, the iron and calcium...soft chews or chewable tablets? And why?

Thanks!

The general recommendation is to follow the Vita Lady schedule of supplements for DSers and adjust as needed. It is easier to adjust down than up. Once deficient, it is like trying to fill an empty bucket. It often takes high doses over a period of months to get back low labs numbers to normal range.

Start slowly after surgery. After a week or so add the 2 multi's (Centrum has chewable, if easier). See how that goes. Then add the calcium (does not matter if chewable, just make sure it is ca citrate). See how that goes over several weeks and add in the rest of the supplements. I think the general rule of thumb is to try to get to the full schedule of supplements by 3 months post-op.

Vitalady DS supplement recommendations

The recommended doses by whom? If you are talking the ones “recommended by the FDA”, put that amount OUT of your mind as that is for normal people who have had NO WLS. And apparently the recommended D isn’t enough as most Americans are D deficient.

Example: recommended daily dose of D3 is 800 IU by the FDA. Recommended daily dose of D3 for a DSer is 50,000 IU. Many of us exceed that easily. There are some DSers getting 250,000 IU a day and can barely get their level above 35.

We malabsorb! How much varies person to person.

As far as an ADEK, nope, nada, no way. You can’t adjust properly.
I need odd amounts of D: 50,000 IU M-F, 100,000 IU S &S.
Dry A is 25,000 IU on S&S only, none during the week
Dry K is 2,000 IU daily
Don’t need dry E AT ALL.

If I did a multi ADEK, how would I stop taking E but add far more D, much more K and only A two days a week?

Easy answer: I take the D, A, K as separate pills. If I need E later, I’ll add it.

Use pills or capsules if possible. Avoid chewables unless you just can’t. If you do a chewable calcium, make sure it’s calcium citrate NOT carbonate. I haven’t even seen a chewable iron.

One thing about chewables is in order for them to taste good, they add carbs. If they add sugar substitutes, your system may have its revenge by way of gas/bloat/diarrhea.

Chewables???? Seriously those would taste worse than ass. Why do you want those? And JUST 100% RDA is not enough for you, of anything. Because of the malabsorbtion.

The recommended vitamin regimen is from my surgeon and nutritionist and of course is much higher than the normal doses.. The chewable calcium citrate and iron are from Celebrate. Munchkin, I have the sample pack and they actually taste really good to me. I did notice the -tols in the ingredients and wondered if it would cause GI upset. I will check out the list in the link you posted Southernlady. Always good to see what has worked well for others and adjust to fit my specific needs.

Thank you so much!!

The recommended vitamin regimen is from my surgeon and nutritionist and of course is much higher than the normal doses.. The chewable calcium citrate and iron are from Celebrate. Munchkin, I have the sample pack and they actually taste really good to me. I did notice the -tols in the ingredients and wondered if it would cause GI upset. I will check out the list in the link you posted Southernlady. Always good to see what has worked well for others and adjust to fit my specific needs.

Thank you so much!!
Surgeons seldom if ever give you the right amounts to take, even if they are higher doses.

A “high” dose of D to a medical professional is 50,000 iu a WEEK! DSers need 50,000 iu A DAY (dry D3). Most medical professionals have heart failure over our “toxic” doses. But it’s only toxic if your lab work says it’s over 150 on a range of 30-100. What you do not absorb is not toxic.

I wouldn't be throwing anything away. I would probably start taking it preop. Selling supplements is another revenue stream for your surgeon(most of them are selling something). Unfortunately most docs have very little to no training on vites and minerals and tend to sell products like Bariatric Advantage/Celebrate. They do not work for us and carry premium prices as well.

I started out with the vitalady list and went on from there.

Just know you do not NEED chewables. Nothing is done to your esophagous. You can swallow anything you could swallow before. Just start out slow and 1 pill at a time. Eventually you will be able to do a small handful again. Postop, the best advice is to start with multis, D, and calcium. Then just add another every day and do the iron LAST. It's the one most likely to make you feel sick.

Latest posts

Back