Protein Soup Reviews: NutriWise and ProtiWise

Clematis

In my quest to find non-sweet protein supplements, I purchased sampler boxes of NutriWise and ProtiWise soup mixes, both by Doctors Best Weight Loss.com. (You can also get these flavors on Amazon.)

Each soup is 15 gr protein, 1-7 gr carb, 70-100 calories.

Most specify water temp no higher than 140 — even if they just say “hot” water, use 140 as the limit or they will clump. All of these soups need thorough stirring and smooshing clumps against the side of the cup with the back of the spoon. Helpful is to thoroughly mix the soup in about 1/4 cup of cold water and then add the hot water.

Pay attention to the exact soup name and brand I mention as some have similar names within brands or identical names between brands and yet taste nothing alike.

BTW, I don’t think any of these have any real animal products (except for the whey itself). Instead, they have recreated the taste of chicken or beef by using the same seasonings one would find in real broth.

Rankings based on protein soups, not comparing them to homemade soups:
Excellent=5, Good=4, OK=3, Meh=2, Bad=1, Wretched=0

NutriWise

Tomato: 5. This tastes sort of like beefy-tomato. Nice change of pace from the chicken flavors.

Cream of Chicken: 5. The only thing “cream” about it is it has a bit of a milky appearance, otherwise it is thin chicken soup. Good chicken-y flavor, more chicken-y that others.

Beef Bouillon aka Soup: 4. Note it is labeled as bouillon on the box but soup on the package.

Chicken with Pasta: 3. Chicken broth ok — no actual chicken in it. The pasta was orzo-sized and never softened up. It had the highest carbs of all soups at 7 grams and highest calories at 100 so not having this again.

Cream of Broccoli: 3. Teeny tiny bits of tasteless broccoli in a milky colored chicken flavored broth.

Chicken Bouillon aka Soup: 2. Note it is labeled as bouillon on the box but soup on the package. If you’re just looking for chicken bouillon, drink the far better Unjury.

Cream of Tomato: 1. This had a strong protein flavor to me. I poured it out after a few sips.

ProtiWise

Cream of Vegetable: 3. After gagging on their Cream of Mushroom, I didn’t have high hopes for this but was pleasantly surprised. It’s not great, mind you, but certainly drinkable. (I won’t buy it again, though.)

Cream of Chicken: 2. As with many of these soups, the first swallow or two was OK and then one starts to discern an “off” protein flavor.

Chicken Noodle: 2. Broth was ok, sort of. Noodles have a texture and taste like paper.

Cream of Mushroom: 1. Like wallpaper paste. I didn’t drink more than two sips.

Italian Tomato: 0. I spit the first mouthful back in the cup. This is in its own category of awful. It’s a bizarre pink color, like the pink slick of a toxic spill in a lake. I’ve never sampled toxic spill, but I suspect it tastes the same. Truly disgusting.

To keep soup reviews together, here are reviews from an earlier post…

ProtiDiet (I don’t know the difference between ProtiDIET and ProtiWISE — they have the same box design.)

Chicken Soup: 5. At first I thought this was a tad better than Unjury but now I prefer Unjury. (And this tastes so close to the less expensive NutriWise Cream of Chicken, that I don't think I would buy ProtiDiet again.)

Unjury

Chicken Soup: 5. Tasty. Just a basic clear broth.

Net net: The only soups I bought again were Unjury Chicken Soup, as well as NutriWise flavors Tomato, Cream of Chicken, and Beef Bouillon/Soup.

BTW, I had the unjury last week the day of my clear liquids and I found it vile.....but that is just me.

That bad, huh? Yeah, YMMV. Some people on Amazon loved the ProtiWise Italian Tomato. But you're not a fan of protein drinks in any form, if I recall. Well, they're certainly not something I would choose to drink if I didn't have to.

That bad, huh? Yeah, YMMV. Some people on Amazon loved the ProtiWise Italian Tomato. But you're not a fan of protein drinks in any form, if I recall. Well, they're certainly not something I would choose to drink if I didn't have to.
I think it is the spice/seasoning. I find most of what I call the "fake seasonings" to be nasty so it is definitely a YMMV thing. I made it through about half the the drink and then had to dump it out.

Latest posts

Back