Prolia update - post 4 yrs of use

ginger

Hi,
Some of you know I have been fighting for quite a few years. It runs in my family and then add the DS . Here are my results after 2 years of Forteo, 4 yrs of Prolia and lots of supplements.

I have just finished by 4th year on Prolia and have the results of my latest Dexascan....
my past dexascans have not mentioned the age match thing. I am wondering if the radiologist realizes I am WLS patient. Guess I will find out when I see the endo on the 12th. The print out I was given on the day it was done stated osteopenia, not osteoporosis. At least there is improvement in some areas !

LUMBAR SPINE:
Levels: L1-L4
Bone mineral density: 0.982 gm/cm2
Young adult T score: -0.6
Age matched Z-score of 1.0
Trabecular bone score (TBS): 1.362
Scan validity: Valid.
Comparison: 9.9% bone mineral density increase which is significant

FEMUR:
Right femoral neck:
Bone mineral density: 0.681 gm/cm2
Young adult T-score: -1.5
Age matched Z-score: -0.1
Comparison: 5.8% bone mineral density increased, which is significant

Left total femoral:
Bone mineral density: 0.688 gm/cm2
Young adult T-score: -2.1
Age matched Z-score: -1.0
Comparison: 3.3% bone mineral density increase, which is not significant

FOREARM: The left 33% radius bone mineral density is 0.511 gm/cm2 corresponding to
a young adult T-score of -3.1 and an age matched Z-score of -1.6. Scanning technique:
valid. Comparison: 1.2% bone mineral density decreased, which is not significant

IMPRESSION:
1. DIAGNOSIS: Osteoporosis
2. FRACTURE RISK: Increased. The WHO fracture risk algorithm is not applicable in
this patient.
3. TREATMENT: This patient is responding satisfactorily to drug therapy.

YEAH!

According to Medicare rules, Forteo is only to be tried IF others have failed. I did Reclast twice (minimum for going to Forteo) and while I didn't see any improvement, it did stop the decline. Prolia is not an option with my lifestyle. I am not in the same place every six months. Maybe once we settle down again.

I go in for my first scan in January. Anything I should know or ask for when I go?
Liz
Not for the scan itself. They will ask what they need to know. In my case, they needed to know about all the titanium in my back from two back surgeries.

Hummm... Mine was more than 16 years ago, don't think I could go back and get it. Not to mention a different state as well. o_O
IF the surgeon is still practicing, his office MIGHT still have the report. Call and check to see and if so, have it mailed to you.

Oh! I had ACL surgery a loooonnnnggggg time ago and don't know what's up or what's in my knee... ACK! :eek:
ACL surgery there is usually a screw or a pin, or sometimes if total replacement of ACL like hubby had they tie it and pin it into the bone. The hospital should have the OR report in records, just contact medical records, fax in a release of information and they will send it.

YEAH!

According to Medicare rules, Forteo is only to be tried IF others have failed. I did Reclast twice (minimum for going to Forteo) and while I didn't see any improvement, it did stop the decline. Prolia is not an option with my lifestyle. I am not in the same place every six months. Maybe once we settle down again.
I was not on Medicare until after the Forteo. I know Forteo really helped as well, and the Prolia builds on top of what Forteo does. Just something to keep in mind for when it works out.

Latest posts

Back