Processed carbs and diarrhea

Georgepds

Processed carbs and diarrhea

Anybody else have this problem?

Last night was a party night, main course was paella ( lots of rice), and one of the guests bought cheesecake for dessert... I'm paying the price today

I don't seem to have the problem with high fiber foods like apples or green peas

Could use a big clue before I poop my guts out again

Processing certainly makes mine more problematic, esp in the early years. Example: bread. Store bought would tear me up but if I made my own, it wasn’t an issue.

I can eat ACTUAL, REAL, NO-YEAST-ADDED, just sourdough starter, bread. Also, conservative servings of Dreamfield Pasta...which adds something to prevent carb absorption, I think. And gluten-free ANY worthless snack foods. (Gluten-free cookies and donuts and cake are FULL of carbs and do not cause me any poop problems.). (Unfortunately.). I can eat corn tortillas, not flour.

Anyway, all that stuff is muy carby. In a standard paella recipe, nothing would bother me. But if bread was served...or if I ate the (usually graham cracker) crust ( which I usually eat around even though I love that part), I would have had problems...generally...bloating, gas and diarrhea.

So, YMMV.

That’s been disproven. They say they do but it’s all hocus pocus. Not worth the cost. However, if you prefer it over regular pasta, no harm done. https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2014/05/12/328888.htm
Well that’s disappointing!

I wonder why, other than placebo effect, it doesn’t bloat me up like regular pasta. I THOUGHT I found an explanation here...https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-dreamfields-pasta-fraud where he griped about how long it took
for his numbers to decrease.

But the other studies showed identical times b/t regular pasta and Dreamfield. Hmm. Maybe I can ask MiniSue to fix me some pasta and not tell me which kind she used. Blind taste test kind of thing. At local Italian restaurants, I order the gluten-free pasta dishes...but there are limited selections and it’s always penne.

Anyway, thanks for the info...you maybe saved me some money!

Something I ate on this last trip - I think a small serving of rice - blew me up like a balloon. YMMV - daily.

I usually don’t. I ate it with a mildly spicy African chicken, coconut and peanut curry. But I’m convinced it was the rice. It may have been a different kind of rice? I was also at 7200’ altitude in Santa Fe.

No - and I realize it makes more sense that it was something else in the food, but I’ve occasionally had bad bloat from rice and it was like that. Most of the time, a small serving of rice is OK, but a lot can be deadly.

Latest posts

Back