Problems with my insurance

I was reading this to refresh my memory because I have a consultation coming up. I have notes with names but it's packed away in the garage and it was easier to read this. I had forgotten a ton but still remembered the surgeon's office told me that if my primary wouldn't then neither would Medicare. But now I'm told that person was wrong!

We were pleasantly surprised to find out that after all this rigmarole Medicare will pay 80% and we pay 20%! We were prepared to pay out of pocket just so we could see someone qualified in the DFW area so this was a win. I'm still half expecting the other shoe to drop.

Keep in mind that coverage may be different between hospitalization and surgeon’s fees. When I had my surgery, the hospital was 100% except for deductible, while the surgeon was 80%. 20% of a fixed $5000-$15,000 fee is a very different risk than 20% of a potentially nearly infinite cost.

Keep in mind that coverage may be different between hospitalization and surgeon’s fees. When I had my surgery, the hospital was 100% except for deductible, while the surgeon was 80%. 20% of a fixed $5000-$15,000 fee is a very different risk than 20% of a potentially nearly infinite cost.

Infinite? That's scary. That line of questioning will go on my list.

We were pleasantly surprised to find out that after all this rigmarole Medicare will pay 80% and we pay 20%! We were prepared to pay out of pocket just so we could see someone qualified in the DFW area so this was a win. I'm still half expecting the other shoe to drop.
You could wait til after the beginning of the year to adjust your Medicare plan to an Advantage plan or a Medigap Supplement plan to cut down that 20%.

Medicare Advantage paid 100% for mine.

You could wait til after the beginning of the year to adjust your Medicare plan to an Advantage plan or a Medigap Supplement plan to cut down that 20%.

Medicare Advantage paid 100% for mine.
I don't think I can do that. I have a group plan as primary and I seem to have limits as to what I can do.

Fwiiw

If the group plan is from your work, and the company has lots of employees (cant remember the exact number) the company's insurance is primary, and medicare secondary.

I've got both medicare and company insurance and run into this rule

If not applicable, sorry
It's from my husband's job with a big box retail that I mentioned earlier and it's a self-funded plan.

Hubby had insurance with GE, his was MY primary. I had a Medicare Advantage plan without prescription coverage (had his).
So Medicare Advantage was a supplement that managed your Medicare as well? So you had three insurances? A primary, secondary and tertiary?

No, cause Medicare Advantage policies “replace” Medicare. While I had a Medicare Advantage policy, my Medicare red, white, and blue card was filed away and not presented as insurance.

You have to have A and B to get C. https://medicare.com/medicare-advantage/the-pros-and-cons-of-switching-to-medicare-advantage/

It looks like I have until March 31st to enroll (If I understand it right) but I am afraid of signing up for something and them messing it up causing me to have to wait. I only need to wait for a few months as it is. Or I sign up for the wrong one and then I can't get it done at all. I am going to call this week but I am going to ask for stuff in writing before I commit.

Latest posts

Back