pretty purple pickled eggs

bearmom

This was my first time making pickled eggs, and I love them! Even if they were revolting, they are so pretty I'd get over it. My phone camera isn't great with colors, as the bright yellow of the middle yolk is washed out, but the bright yellow really is pretty against the purple.

I had scads of beets this year, so just used some of my pickling juice from some beets. I don't remember who or where someone suggested making these at home, but I'm grateful!

2014-10-24 18.55.26.jpg

My mother made these many, many times. I don't like egg yolks all that much, but might if the eggs were pickled and made into a salad. I haven't thought of these in years; but I like how they reminded me of my mom and Grandma. :ty:

Oooooooooo NO! Pickled eggs is against my religion. There are only a handful of foods that my greedy ass just does not eat. Pickled eggs is on the list. So are beets. Green peas are on it too, which is bizarre - because I love snowpeas and snap peas in oriental foods - but a bowl full of green peas with a meatloaf dinner for instance = no ma'am!

I do have to say though - I wish I could see the color in those eggs - because they ARE quite beautiful. Purple is my favorite color. When I was a kid - I wrote a poem about the color yellow - it's a favorite color too = the color of the sun, so warm so bright so cheery so pretty...

So yeah... Pretty is one thing. But edible is a complete different thing entirely
di-UIP2.gif

J.

I love, love hardboiled eggs.. I need to try pickling them. I've only ever had store-bought ones, which were meh.. bet home-pickled is soo much better.

Oooooooooo NO! Pickled eggs is against my religion. There are only a handful of foods that my greedy ass just does not eat. Pickled eggs is on the list. So are beets. Green peas are on it too, which is bizarre - because I love snowpeas and snap peas in oriental foods - but a bowl full of green peas with a meatloaf dinner for instance = no ma'am!

I do have to say though - I wish I could see the color in those eggs - because they ARE quite beautiful. Purple is my favorite color. When I was a kid - I wrote a poem about the color yellow - it's a favorite color too = the color of the sun, so warm so bright so cheery so pretty...

So yeah... Pretty is one thing. But edible is a complete different thing entirely
di-UIP2.gif

J.
Wow, we are just about food opposites! Your 3 hates, are my 3 top foods of this summer. I thought I disliked peas, until I made a pea salad this summer with home made mayo, bacon and cheese, and now I can't get enough, but they DO have to be fresh peas. I can't do canned. Beets are the other new obsession, even the greens, and I'm suspicious that it's something subconscious because I'm not supposed to have them because of kidney stones, which makes me love them all the more.

It's funny how some things I thought I hated my whole life became favorites when I made them fresh. If I could only make that work with seafood.

Latest posts

Back