Pre op newbie

Lucyn

Hello,
I have just started the process towards gastric sleeve. I live in Massachusetts I’m 48 years old and I’m excited (and nervous) about the surgery. No date yet. I have had a few support group meetings a few nutrition appointments and am due soon to meet with the surgeon. I have a congenital heart defect so I will be meeting with my cardiologist for the all clear also. I’ve loaded up my amazon cart with ideas like any newbie would and I pair down before I actually order or I think my husband will faint! I’m glad to find some extra support here. My family is lovely and means well but my husband is athletic as well as my 3 kids. I’m the one who sat on the sidelines for years and to be honest they don’t quite get it. I’m looking forward to getting in the mix and living a long and healthy life.

Hi and Welcome, Lucyn!

I’ve loaded up my amazon cart with ideas like any newbie would and I pair down before I actually order

what kind of stuff? if it's protein drinks, remember what tastes good to you now is likely to change post-op. o_O

All sorts, I’m not buying anything yet but when I read ingredients and stats and protein origins etc it’s kind of my way to bookmark. I also have some 2 and 3 ounce disposable cups with lids for portion control measuring cups a belly band etc so I run the full range! I’m not stocking up yet I’m just preparing esp since I’m not sure when my surgery will be. But thank you for the advice on taste changes. That does make it hard to plan for sure!

Hi and welcome Lucyn! I grew up in Massachusetts, where everything runs on Dunkin' and my husband is an athlete (squash player who bikes 17 miles to the guy so he can work out). I can totally relate.

I had a DS instead of VSG because I'm not great at dieting and needed to lose *a lot*, so didn't need portion control type tools so not sure what is needed there, but I definitely advise holding back on perishables pre-op purchases as taste preferences /tolerances are often altered by surgery, as pointed out by Jackie.

All the best!

didn't need portion control type tools
honestly, I didn't need them either as my sleeve was so small/tight. I know there is a lot of variation, though, from reading about other post-ops. I was amazed by what some people were capable of eating. for a long time - geez, a month? two? I had a blog somewhere, I should look it up - I measured portion size by bites, rather than ounces. I lived mostly on liquids for about 4 months, I remember that, and I don't think that's typical. I'm glad now, however!

Hi and welcome Lucyn! I grew up in Massachusetts, where everything runs on Dunkin' and my husband is an athlete (squash player who bikes 17 miles to the guy so he can work out). I can totally relate.

I had a DS instead of VSG because I'm not great at dieting and needed to lose *a lot*, so didn't need portion control type tools so not sure what is needed there, but I definitely advise holding back on perishables pre-op purchases as taste preferences /tolerances are often altered by surgery, as pointed out by Jackie.

All the best!

Thank you! I will def hold off. I can always click when I’m ready. The beauty of Amazon

Thank you and I want it to help with incisions. I wish I had it after each of my kids and I didn’t. If I feel ok after surgery I won’t use it and return it. It’s just to offer support getting up and down in early days

Thank you and I want it to help with incisions. I wish I had it after each of my kids and I didn’t. If I feel ok after surgery I won’t use it and return it. It’s just to offer support getting up and down in early days
The thing is, your incisions are in several different spots not in one line. I had five as a DSer. One was slightly under my right boob, another about 2 inches below my right boob, one right next to my belly button and the other two off in the lower left quadrant.

I found a link to a typical vsg incision list: https://goo.gl/images/g1Bkoa

Yes, I had five incisions as well - both for the DS and when I had the band. They're quite tiny ones (1-2 cm), with one slightly larger (5cm).

That is super helpful. Thank you. Everyone has been so helpful this is so encouraging!!
not only do we have personal experience, we've all been online talking to other WLS peeps for years and we love sharing the info. feel free to start threads about anything you want to ask about.

I think I am the only VSGer who posts regularly*, but remember all of those with the DS also have a VSG. ;)

*every now & then I get a yen to try and fix that, but then Real Life takes up so much time....

Hello from a fellow new person. Im 3 years post VSG & can agree with above that you may not like the same things post op.
Also use this groups experience to ask questions, everyone can be a little different but in general i have found that we are all alike in many ways.
I have found YouTube to be of some value as well as being able to ask those that are still active questions about their experiences
Best of luck :thumbsup:

Thank you! I’ve been reading all past threads and a you tube junkie. My hospital support groups are more helpful then I thought, and the nutritionist is really balanced and helpful. The behaviorist is also really helpful. I have been reading books too! Speaking with people is so helpful. Thank you and to everyone responding.

Latest posts

Back