Pre-op liquid diet

tracy6035

My surgery date is May 26.I'm doing a four week optifast diet.I would like to know how much weight did you loose on your pre op liquid diet.

My surgeon that I have prescribe all of his patients optifast.He is the surgeon.I'm listening to him.I'm gonna do what he tell me to.I'm not gonna change what he tell me.

my surgeon varied what he told people based on their BMI, I believe. I know my pre-op diet was "optional" since I was a light weight - I basically did a week very low carb and lost 5 pounds.

I did low carb liquids- mostly protein shakes, Greek yogurt and fruit & veggie smoothies, and a lean & green dinner each night. Kept around 1,000 calories and lost 20+ pounds. I think it was around 4 weeks?
Btw, you're gonna have to learn that surgeons DO NOT always know best when it comes to diet advice. I used to have that same perception of "well, he's the doctor, he knows best" but that's not necessarily true. They may know best about slicing and dicing our insides, but usually not about diet and nutrition.

I had to do 2 weeks of just protein shakes. I ended up getting migraines as a result so I replaced my dinner shake w about 4 oz of lean meat and some veggies the first week. Ended up losing a total of 10 pounds pre-op.

@Jen-2 were you on Optifast or your own protein powder?
Dr. G makes you use the shakes he sells in his office. Champion Nutrition Ultramet (4 flavors: Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and banana cream). You get to decide which flavors you want. I think I paid around $125 for 42 shakes.

He wants you to use those shakes but I wasn't forced to buy them from him. I did bc my in office appt was close to the start of the pre-op diet. Just wanted to clarify that he doesn't force you to only buy from him. You can buy from him or I've found them on amazon too.

@Barbara If you decide to buy from amazon double check w Tina. Champion also sells a low carb version but those were NOT the ones Dr. G used when I did my pre-op diet. Not sure whether he would be okay w those. The ones he used then had 40+ grams of protein and 20+ carbs per shake.

Hey, @tracy6035 - my surgeon required 4 weeks of Optifast shakes, too. Having done a little research into what causes the liver to shrink (which he said was the motivation for it) I learned that actually it seems most surgeons these days are saying it's LOW CARB diets that shrink the liver the best. Optifast is definitely not low carb. But, like you, I wanted to 100% do what my surgeon requested, so that if my liver didn't shrink for some reason I could look him in the eye and tell him I had 100% followed the diet he gave me (which I had). He also allowed vegetables and a serving of fruit each day, so at least that was something I could actually eat.

I lost 29.6 pounds in my pre-op month, though I probably have a lot more to lose than you so would have probably been losing much faster than most.

Latest posts

Back