Pre-op lab results

FloridaJen

The Curious One
Would any of you genius people be willing to look at my pre-op labs and let me know your thoughts and anything else I should try to get up other than the D (which is all Dr. Smith told me to increase) I am a little alarmed at high my K is (1805) And not sure I understand the Iron Saturation (15) My E is also high (24.4)

Thanks in advance!
Jen

Attachments

• Lab Result.pdf
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
Okay, while those are fine preop, get the Vitalady list from https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ and find them on the Vitalady website or on Amazon.
Softgels that are oil based will be expensive poop after surgery.
Dry D3 needs to be 50,000 after surgery. Hubby and I use a variety of brands. Use to be only BioTech carried that strength but not any more.

Total iron is okay but switch to a heme iron if you can. Proferrin is one and it doesn’t need to be separated from calcium citrate. You snap the proferrin in half for better absorption.
Iron sat% is pitiful but getting others up help that.
Ferritin is not really high enough but at that value, most medical personnel think it’s fine. We want ferritin to be triple digits.
D is in the toilet. Get a dry 50,000 and take it daily until surgery to get it between 80-100.
Your K and A will probably correct itself after surgery. I was 5 years out before needing K and 7 years out before needing A.

You will need to get all these labs: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/ preferably preop but always post op.

Okay, while those are fine preop, get the Vitalady list from https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ and find them on the Vitalady website or on Amazon.
Softgels that are oil based will be expensive poop after surgery.
Dry D3 needs to be 50,000 after surgery. Hubby and I use a variety of brands. Use to be only BioTech carried that strength but not any more.

Total iron is okay but switch to a heme iron if you can. Proferrin is one and it doesn’t need to be separated from calcium citrate. You snap the proferrin in half for better absorption.
Iron sat% is pitiful but getting others up help that.
Ferritin is not really high enough but at that value, most medical personnel think it’s fine. We want ferritin to be triple digits.
D is in the toilet. Get a dry 50,000 and take it daily until surgery to get it between 80-100.
Your K and A will probably correct itself after surgery. I was 5 years out before needing K and 7 years out before needing A.

You will need to get all these labs: https://bariatricfacts.org/threads/generic-ds-lab-order.191/ preferably preop but always post op.
Oh I have a whole list of stuff I plan to get for post-op - following Vitalady and advice from here. I just wanted to get my numbers as good as possible NOW and Dr. Smith only addressed the D.

I have that lab order for the future, is there something missing from my preop? I did remove my cholesterol from attached because nobody needed to see that mess.

Thanks so much for your help!

Did you just start taking these vitamins or is this a new schedule?'

Here are my thoughts -

-Drink more water (see urine specific gravity). Were you fasting when you have this blood draw?

-Start taking calcium. Getting your Vit D higher along with taking calcium will help to drive down your PTH number. You want it lower than 50.

-I would start taking a small dose of Vit A. Vit A could really tank after surgery and it is very, very hard to pull up (at least it is for me!). After surgery you will want a DRY Vit A, but it does not matter pre-surgery if you buy an oil-based capsule.

-The multi you are taking now may or may not work for you post-op. It is very high in B-12. It also contains 100% of RDA of selenium and your selenium is a little high. After surgery, you will want to take something similar to a regular Centrum (no "silver" or "women's vit/min").

Do you have your surgery scheduled??

I have been taking most of these but had a few weeks here and there I stopped taking some to see how my stomach felt. I wasn't sure if my stomach issues were from some of the vitamins or insulin. Pretty sure it's the insulin.

I was fasting and clearly dehydrated! It's hotter than satan's balls in Florida right now and I sweat all the time.

Will do on the Calcium and A!

I plan to switch to Centrum asap, I was just trying to finish off this multi while I wait. Maybe I'll do it now anyway.

Not scheduled yet, getting most of my tests this week and the last one is Endoscopy on the 23rd. I'm moving forward as if it's all going to work out!

Thank you so much!

Both are fine. If you have a Costco membership, the Citracal is cheaper there but do not use the Kirkland calcium citrate as it has B6.
If you are near Jacksonville, join BJ’s, they have BJ’s version of Calcium Citrate. It has NO B6.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back