PPI and Kidney Function Damage?

Yes, I was disturbed by that report, especially since it can happen FAST. There are some serious reasons NOT to be on a PPI: kidney damage, fractures and infections being three biggies.

I was DXed with silent reflux (no obvious symptoms besides the feeling of mucous in my throat) 2 months before DS surgery. When I asked if I could ever go off the PPI (I did not mention the upcoming surgery as I don't think I had set a date) he said "Not without major lifestyle changes." He elaborated that the reason so many Americans have GERD is that we're fat, we eat acidic foods (which includes fatty protein foods), and especially because we eat a heavy meal at night, then continue to snack until bedtime. So of this list, I can take care of everything except not eating acidic foods because I need fats and protein.

Since my surgeon and many others say one only has to be on a PPI 3-6 months after DS or sleeve, I think I will continue to take it until I get to goal weight, then wean myself off it, wait a half year or so then go to ENT for another scope to look for acid burns in throat.

BTW It is very important not to stop PPI cold turkey as your stomach will go into rebound production of acid. One needs to slowly decrease the dosage.

I take twice the normal amount of PPI. I think I'm going to ask for a kidney function test the next time I have an appointment with my PCP.

I take twice the normal amount of PPI. I think I'm going to ask for a kidney function test the next time I have an appointment with my PCP.
@DianaCox Yep I take 40 mg of protonix twice a day as well. I have been thinking about switching to 20 twice a day. Dr K says, a PPI inhibits absorption as well because the acid is part of the digestive process to get food ready to be absorbed so with reduced acid comes reduced absorption for me. .....and I have had strange urinary discomfort (Very mild, not strong burn) for the last few months and have a hard time going much at one time lately. I have to sit down and really focus to where it almost feels like it is just trickling/falling out. If I try to push like have my entire life is just doesn't do much. I just don't seem like I empty. My urinalysis and follow up really didn't show anything so maybe I do need a kidney function test. Do you know exactly what that entails?

Um Scott - in a male your age, having trouble with the urine stream (which is downstream from the kidneys and has nothing to do with them) is more likely BPH - when was your last prostate exam?

My urinalysis and follow up really didn't show anything so maybe I do need a kidney function test. Do you know exactly what that entails?
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneytests

I can either feel like I am gonna die from GERD or take a PPI and possibly mess with my kidneys. NOT a choice I like...but the GERD feels more immediate as in absolutely miserable.

Because I am diabetic, kidneys are on the list of things to watch carefully...cause renal disease in a diabetic is NO fun. Most diabetics show issues in one of three ways: kidney (nephropathy), eyes (retinopathy), or nerve (neuropathy). I was "blessed" with neuropathy.

Um Scott - in a male your age, having trouble with the urine stream (which is downstream from the kidneys and has nothing to do with them) is more likely BPH - when was your last prostate exam?
Yeah I have thought of that, but I am not sure that is the case. I actually had a TURP (worst efffing decision of my life) in 2001 and I thought I was going to end up killing myself because I was in misery for 4 months and then all the sudden the pain and issues went away (other than one kind of important side effect the jackass Dr didn't tell me about....that is when I trusted Dr's and didn't question their actions). This seems to be different and I do have aching lower back in that kidney region but I also think that is poop related (being really full at times).

That being said, I probably do need to get my prostate examined again. They were up in there a few months ago when I was in the ER with blood in m ass because every different Dr felt he had to shove his finger up there himself. They didn't comment on the prostate being enlarged but I am not sure if they would have noticed either.

https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneytests

I can either feel like I am gonna die from GERD or take a PPI and possibly mess with my kidneys. NOT a choice I like...but the GERD feels more immediate as in absolutely miserable.

Because I am diabetic, kidneys are on the list of things to watch carefully...cause renal disease in a diabetic is NO fun. Most diabetics show issues in one of three ways: kidney (nephropathy), eyes (retinopathy), or nerve (neuropathy). I was "blessed" with neuropathy.
I have some neuropathy as well and I do agree on the trade off of GERD pain versus other things PPI's can do to us.. That is why I was thinking of trying to cut my dose in half. I know there is no way I can go off completely.

Thanks for the link

My BUN, Creatinine and GFR are all fine, with the Creatinine being almost below range (that is supposedly a good thing, high is bad). These tests are par of the CMP so I get them every 30-45 days with the monitoring of my nutritional values.

Scot called it....BUN and Creatinine are kidney function tests. Mine levels were slightly elevated about 6 months ago....and then I got kidney stones. I thought the elevated labs were related to the kidney stones, but maybe not. Scot...low back pain could be a kidney stone (pray it is not). Actually, I've had low back pain after the occasional blowout. Lots of muscles seem to be at work to expel. Back to the PPI....I know it is going to be a battle next time I see my MD. Anyone use something else other than the PPI to control the acid?

Scot called it....BUN and Creatinine are kidney function tests. Mine levels were slightly elevated about 6 months ago....and then I got kidney stones. I thought the elevated labs were related to the kidney stones, but maybe not. Scot...low back pain could be a kidney stone (pray it is not). Actually, I've had low back pain after the occasional blowout. Lots of muscles seem to be at work to expel. Back to the PPI....I know it is going to be a battle next time I see my MD. Anyone use something else other than the PPI to control the acid?
I had a kidney stone 3 weeks after my original DS and spent 3 days in the hospital because they thought I might have an ulcer or something else. Thanks CT showed a stone that had passed through the kidney so they decided to go get and when they did it was pushed back into my kidney so I got to have a stent fie ten days. I pissed blood for a week.

The last few CT's I have had show a "non obstructing" 4mm stone in my left kidney that is going to eventually move and be mudder trucker. I am not really have any severe lower back pain, certainly nothing like when I was passing the stone before, so I think it is more poop related than anything.

I've been taking 20 mg Omeprazole for years. Fortunately one pill once a day does the trick for me except for the occasional breakthrough that is easily handled by a couple of tums. My BUN/Creatinine are spot on but will always monitor. Never had any issues with kidney stones.

OK...what do you guys know? I would have a hard time without a PPI.
If someone ever asks how to stop taking PPI, here are the steps daily to not need medication: One Tablespoon of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother, to one 16 oz bottle of water. First thing in the morning and do this twice a day. Then start taking Pro Biotics and DGL. You may wish to have a few tums available. This worked for me although the drink tastes yuck

If someone ever asks how to stop taking PPI, here are the steps daily to not need medication: One Tablespoon of Raw Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother, to one 16 oz bottle of water. First thing in the morning and do this twice a day. Then start taking Pro Biotics and DGL. You may wish to have a few tums available. This worked for me although the drink tastes yuck
Great advice (except for the tums) but doesn’t always work. I know cause I tried.

Latest posts

Back