Post Op Pancreatitis

Pattycake813

Just curious if anyone has suffered from chronic pancreatitis post-DS. The recommended diet is very fat restrictive (<30g/day). I’m not a religious Macro Counter but I this still seems super low. Restrictions also recommended was low fat/non fat
dairy— No mayo and no butter. Full fat dairy is the only dairy I can tolerate since surgery— butter and mayo have been staples in my diet since my DS to help me keep meat down.

just curious if anyone has been through this before and how you found it best to manage fr a dietary perspective

Not chronic, but yes, I've had it. (It's horrendous. It's like having gallbladder issues again). It's when I've taken painkillers after surgery. I now have to take a very small amount or it acts up.

Last edited:
I've had chronic pancreatitis off and on since a distal pancreatectomy in 2013. Prescription Creon or Zenpep taken with meals helps with better digestion. If you take Creon, good to ask doctor if you can take Welchol with it, as it can make for acidic waste.

Papaya enzymes can also help - like this, which I take --> https://www.puritan.com/puritans-pr...VDfDACh2gtARLEAQYASABEgLKMPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds .

I eat a standard high protein, fat DS diet, because I need it, but avoid alcohol except for rare special occasions.

Sorry, I'm missing the connection betwern opiods and pancreatitis

Can you elaborate?

Is it that SOD resembles pancreatitis?

Thank you all so much for chiming in. I’ve been having issues on and off for a couple of years now. When it started I thought I was crazy- having gall bladder attacks after my gall bladder was removed. I spent a lot of time and had a lot of tests at Mayo last year to really find that I may have some issues due to how long I waited to remove my gall bladder. and I wasn’t crazy.. but by the time I had my gall bladder out I was probably having pancreatic issues at the same time which is why I really thought of it as a gall bladder pain after surgery

I’ve really never seen the appeal of opioids- they just make me tired, I really don’t do anything for the pain other than find some sort of position leaned over forward that makes it mildly tolerable and avoid eating most food for a few days. I’ll be good for a period of 3-6 months and then have 2 terrible weeks.

I already avoid alcohol bc it destroys my ability to control my blood sugarcoats and I don’t really miss it bc it’s never been that important to me.

the initial doctor really gave me a crazy restrictive diet to follow to avoid/minimize recurrences but it seemed unhealthy given the DS—and I’m pretty sure he had no clue what a DS even was. effectively the recommended diet was eat all carbs and low fat, low protein.

I am glad to know there are some enzymatic options and look forward to my GI appt to talk about those sort of options

thanks again. Any other tips/tricks to minimizing attacks would be great as the pst 3 months have been pretty rough

Latest posts

Back