Plateaus

TiffanyDG

When did you first start experiencing stalls and how did you break through to start moving down again?

I am ~6 weeks post surgery (8 weeks since pre-op diet) and down 33lbs. I have been hovering around the same few pounds for 2 weeks after changing to high protein/fat diet. I am eating lot more calories with the high fat/low carb (ex. deli meats, mayo, cheese, refried beans, ground meat, avocado and nuts) and continue with 30gr protein shake in the morning. I am not perfect with my daily liquids - but trying to get up/past 64oz/day.

Have I made a mistake switching to high fat from my doctor’s recommended low fat/high protein too early?

I am a 13yr lapband - revised to DS - so learning to eat again. Wishing I still had the post surgery 'no hunger' honeymoon - but it is GONE. I’m also 2 weeks overdue for my period - so feeling bloated/crampy and definitely not pregnant.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Most people have stops and starts. Just keep on keeping on. Get your fluids and protein in and it'll happen. Sometimes hunger is actually thirst, so you really need to concentrate on getting fluid in. How many oz are you getting daily?

I was never hungry for many months. Just ate because I had to.

If you're eating too much fat you'll be having diarrhea typically. I could be wrong but avocado and beans are sorta high in carbs aren't they?

Stay off the scale. Honestly, it’s the best thing you can do for your sanity at the moment. Only weight at doctor appts until you feel better about the relationship between you and a damned piece of metal that has nothing to do with YOU.

Take monthly pictures, take a piece of twine and wrap it around your waist, then cut it and hang it on a wall or door. Do that once a month and watch them shrink. Take measurements of all over.

But staying off the scale for now is a mental lifesaver.

she's right, the scale is not your friend. notice things like how your pants fit, however.

Have I made a mistake switching to high fat from my doctor’s recommended low fat/high protein too early?
I think you can ignore your doctor's diet advice since he/she thinks low fat is good for you. :sneaky:

You need a reality check because you lost 33 pounds in 6 weeks. Your body is taking a break. Just as the others have said, drinking water (64 ounces min) is your priority, then the next goal is 30 gm of protein in 30 days, 60 grams of protein in 60 days, and 90 grams of protein in 90 days. Concentrate on hydration and protein. Put the scale away. Too much fat this early could result in diarrhea. Be careful.

Thanks everyone for the sound advice!

The worry comes in when my doctor said that I should be down 70-80lbs overall by New Year. Looking at the calendar, that’s not too far away - so any bobble messes with my mind.

The other change is moving from the Lapband style of eating to DS - I feel like I can eat so much more now, both quantity and type of food.

Anyway, it’s a learning process and I’m at the start of it.

The other change is moving from the Lapband style of eating to DS - I feel like I can eat so much more now, both quantity and type of food.

And that's a good thing! With my lap band, at least, I could eat anything I wanted ... as I was inevitably going to throw it up 10 mins later. Eat real food, focusing on fat and protein, cut your carbs, sleep, move in a way you enjoy...and enjoy the ride. I ate a 500g pot of mussels yesterday, bathed in delicious butter. DS life is the best.

There's a sticky thread somewhere around these parts from (from memory) DianaCox - it's about percentages, not pounds. We don't all lose at the same rate, and there are a lot of factors at play.

The worry comes in when my doctor said that I should be down 70-80lbs overall by New Year. Looking at the calendar, that’s not too far away - so any bobble messes with my mind.
Your doctor is NOT you. Regardless of what he says, you will get where you need to be in YOUR time frame.

Check the crabs on your beans, the avocado is low in net carbs but most beans are not. You're doing great! New Years is almost three full months away. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get to where you need to be.
Liz

New Year’s is exactly 8 weeks from today. Do not worry about how much you will lose in that time; just ignore your doctor’s expectations. The DS VETs on this site have so many years of experience and such incredible knowledge of what it takes to live short & long term with DS. Listen to the ones who have been on this site for years - they will give you the BEST advice. You can and will do this!!

Last edited:
Different people lose at different rates with or without bariatric surgery, and everyone hits plateaus even when doing everything right. It's frustrating, but it's reality. Just keep on eating high protein (with whatever fat comes along) and low carb, and getting in your fluids, and the weight will come off.

Latest posts

Back