Pesto - what do you do with it?

For the most part, it has been my experience that Costco meats are higher quality than grocery store meats. (Exception - their frozen and defrosted Dungeness crab was awful - beautiful big crabs ruined by being utterly waterlogged and nasty.) So we buy and freeze, or cook a lot at once and I eat the leftovers as second breakfasts, lunches, and snacks.

I think something with chicken thighs, pesto and heavy whipping cream is going to happen tonight (my daughter is looking at recipes). But there will be more where that came from - the basil plants are out of control!

Thank you to all for some great ideas! I may just try the pesto better. Sounds easy (an important criterion for me) tasty and versatile.

Some very mature (as in, we forgot them in the pantry, so they were sprouting - and have become soft and sweet) red potatoes are being parboiled, prior to being smooshed and baked with fresh herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme) from the garden, oil and salt and pepper until crispy (my daughter is getting her cooking toque on, so today I am the sous chef). Not sure what the green veggie will be yet - maybe just a bagged salad. She is going to pan-fry the chicken thighs in garlic-flavored oil, and then we're going to deglaze the chicken pan, and add the pesto we made on Friday and some heavy cream to make a pesto sauce. A relatively healthy, if high fat, meal, with lots of olive oil.

I place thickly sliced tomatos on a cookie sheet, place a spoonful of pesto and broil it. Maybe add mozzarella and prosciutto.
Yum...
Placing them on a grill is an awesome way to cook them. But you need to either put them on a piece of aluminum foil or have a grill rack.

PS: it was pretty awesome - and very filling. One medium-sized thigh with a big glob of creamy pesto sauce, plus one crispy garlicky handball-sized red potato and some caesar salad and I was nose-runningly stuffed.

I'm thinking pesto on some salmon baked/poached in foil would be fantastic too. But maybe not tonight.

Pesto on a piece of grilled sour dough liberally doused with olive oil topped with heirlooms, balsamic, garlic ricotta, basil and lemon zest...oh man was it ever delish.

Tip slice the bread thin so it gets crispy.

Latest posts

Back