pea / bacon / cheese - in the mood for summer salads

bearmom

Well, in the mood for salads, but also the peas have gone berserk, so I thought what better way to eat them than to add some protein!

I'll give the rough amounts of what I used and it's so yummy we had JUST pea salad for dinner tonight, but recipes abound, and this one seems pretty easy to alter.

5 thick pieces of cooked bacon
2 cups of fresh, blanched peas (thawed frozen are OK, but canned are forbidden due to grossness)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1/2 cup mayo (I've been on a homemade mayo thing too, so if you want to blow your mind with this salad, here is a link to my earlier post to make your own mayo too). I used grapeseed oil mayo for this.
dill to taste
minced onion to taste

After cooling the cooked bacon, and putting ice water in the peas after blanching to stop them from cooking, I drain them, and then add all the other stuff. This is one of those recipes you can make and refrigerate and is even better the next day, but I didn't wait.

I used a homemade mayo that already had dill in it, so didn't add more, but it is also easily abundant fresh this time of year.

a classic - so your garden is doing well?

Garden is doing great. I had stopped most gardening other than containers for the last few years, but planted more stuff this year. One thing that helped is a new raised bed that since it's never been planted in before, the pests haven't discovered it yet.

Latest posts

Back