PCOS

Ainu

Hi everyone! Hope you guys are doing well. My surgery date is ticking closer. I have my last doctor visit later today before I go under in two weeks. This house buying nonsense has thankfully kept my mind off it...for now.

Anyway, I consider myself an undiagnosed PCOS.... victim. It runs in the family and I have all of the unfortunate symptoms but because of my iud, the gyno claims I can't be tested. When I was in elementary, I remember the nurses commenting on how thick my hair was as they checked of lice (ah, the good ol days). Once I hit puberty and especially in my early 20s my head hair started thinning and my not head hair started thickening. I'm wondering if those of you who also have PCOS had a relief of symptoms after weight loss. I know weight gain really can screw with hormones and a lot of pekplp find balance after they lose weight.

Just looking for some hope for my hormonal future.

Hi everyone! Hope you guys are doing well. My surgery date is ticking closer. I have my last doctor visit later today before I go under in two weeks. This house buying nonsense has thankfully kept my mind off it...for now.

Anyway, I consider myself an undiagnosed PCOS.... victim. It runs in the family and I have all of the unfortunate symptoms but because of my iud, the gyno claims I can't be tested. When I was in elementary, I remember the nurses commenting on how thick my hair was as they checked of lice (ah, the good ol days). Once I hit puberty and especially in my early 20s my head hair started thinning and my not head hair started thickening. I'm wondering if those of you who also have PCOS had a relief of symptoms after weight loss. I know weight gain really can screw with hormones and a lot of pekplp find balance after they lose weight.

Just looking for some hope for my hormonal future.

Hi Ainu

I have PCOS. The main difference I noticed post-DS (and I mean *immediately* post-DS - while still at hospital), a normal menstrual cycle appeared. Prior to DS, I would go months, even years without a period, unless induced by taking provera. After DS, I have had a period every single month...

Best wishes!

PCOSer here. No noticeable change for me but since I had the DS in Jan 2011 and lost the baby hotel in 1994, that was one symptom that didn't fix itself from the DS.

As far as hair, my head hair is thinning, MOST of my body hair is gone now, I haven't shaved my legs/armpits in 6 months and I am the only one who can tell there is ANY there and ONLY if I get a magnifying glass out. BUT my chin hair is in full bloom, just turning grey now. It's almost if I have Alopecia Universalis (total hair on the body loss)

I'm not worried about fertikife, thankfully. One less thing to think about personally. My sister is super heavy and has been struggling for years go get pregnant but her PCOS is really not letting it happen. While I don't want children myself, I know how much it hurts to not have one when you desperately want one.
As for periods, my iud prevents them so I haven't had a real one in years which is amazing. But I also don't know whats the IUD and whatsw weight related.
I'm just tired of inner thigh hair, amazingly lush leg hair and more armpit hair than my fiance. Thankfully I only get a few chin and lip hairs that I got rid of with a laser hair gun. My sister has to shave her whole face every day =\

I had a slew of things related to PCOS, which have all resolved (skin tags, wiry hairs sprouting where you don't want them like your chin, dark patches on the skin, irregular periods, deep rooted zits in awkward places). I'm 10 years post op, and while those things all went away (as well as any meds to treat them) the hairs that sprouted from that time, will remain. I don't sprout new ones now, and had the existing ones lasered because they weren't going anywhere once they've happened, but now that I don't sprout new ones, the lasering has been permanent. I'm not sure if it's legit to say it's cured, or just in remission, but when not one of those thing has been an issue since surgery, I think cured is right.

I was never diagnosed with PCOS specifically, but I had a generally wonky menstrual cycle since I was 12 (very long, heavy, painful periods) and I got an IUD at 18 and haven't looked back. So this is more a comment on my IUD and DS experience.

For me, I used to have no periods with my IUD, and now I do. They are increasingly irregular now I'm two years out (and very light). To the extent that I went 2.5 months randomly and peed on a lot of pregnancy tests in airport bathrooms just double checking I really, really wasn't knocked up (unlikely, but hey, statistics aren't that comforting!).

Pregnancy is one of my greatest fears, not going to lie. Despite the IUD and almost never having sex (my fiance and I are both fat so it's more of a chore). I didn't realize ocos caused dark spots. I have them on my neck. Always loved the hickey comments all through my life. I only had one skin tag and I cut it off myself when I was a teenager. Getting rid of those dark spots would be amazing though.

Pregnancy is one of my greatest fears, not going to lie.
it would be nice if he had a vasectomy, unless not wanting a pregnancy is only temporary.

I wish I knew more about PCOS but I expect the weight loss will make for a major improvement

Pregnancy...phobia is quite permanent. My fiance is fine with getting a vasectomy but... Not sure how to say this delicately, but I find it a huge turn off. I'm not sure how to get around that except to keep getting fresh iuds every five years. Doesn't make any sense, I know.

Maybe if we can get a healthier sex life once we're both smaller, it can take the hit of one or both of us sterilizing ourselves.

Hmm. I was paranoid about pregnancy too, and surgeon said to use two forms of BC. I was 42 when I had my DS, and had visions of a change of life baby, and didn't want that. Hubby was happy to get a vasectomy, and honestly, it has made things better. You are mentally not ever going to that worried place, and birth control is just not a thing. It's been freeing, and as far as any difference with him, you'd never know otherwise. There is no difference visible on the outside, or of what comes out.

It's definitely a mental thing for me. Once all of this is over and we're hopefully healthier in bed, I'll bring it up again. Redundancies are always good when it comes to not having children if you don't want them. I don't want to spend the next 20 years always worrying my iud failed.

Latest posts

Back