Paper trashing the lapband

DianaCox

Bad Cop
s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/members/SOARD/Articles%20of%20Interest%20-%20SOARD/2012/QofL%20after%20Sleeve%20Gastrectomy%20an%20Adj%20Gastric%20Banding%20-%20jan%202012.pdf

From SOARD:

Quality of life after sleeve gastrectomy and adjustable gastric banding

Abstract

Background: With the addition of laparoscopic vertical sleeve gastrectomy (SG) to the bariatric surgery procedural toolkit, patients desiring a restrictive bariatric procedure often choose between adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) and SG. One study compared quality of life after these 2 procedures and found no difference. The purpose of our study was to re-evaluate the postoperative quality of life in LAGB and SG patients at a military teaching hospital in the United States.

Methods: A retrospective review of 108 consecutive laparoscopic restrictive bariatric procedures performed within 15 months at a Department of Defense hospital was conducted. Of these 108 patients, 69 had undergone laparoscopic vertical SG and 39 LAGB. A validated quality of life questionnaire (Bariatric Quality of Life) was conducted a mean of 9.3 3.2 months (range 5–16) postoperatively. The weight loss and standard laboratory parameters were measured at 0, 1, 3, 6, and 12 months.

Results: The quality of life assessment revealed significantly better scores after SG than after LAGB (66.5 versus 57.9, P .0002). The excess weight loss and excess body mass index loss at 3, 6, and 12 months postoperatively were significantly greater in the laparoscopic SG group. The patients demonstrated a clear preference over time for SG once it was offered.

Conclusion: Early postoperative quality of life was superior after SG than after LAGB. SG also resulted in superior early excess weight loss. In a practice not constrained by reimbursement, these findings were associated with increased patient choice of SG after it began to be offered.

(Surg Obes Relat Dis 2012;8:31– 40.) Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

Just more proof that crapband is a bad choice.
I had an aunt that got one. She didn't listen to docs. A few days after she got it placed, she had a tortilla chip, threw up, tore her esophagus open, nearly died. After she got better and got the band refilled, she vomited all the time. Pretty much every time she ate. She'd have 2 bites, then go throw up. She lost weight, but she became very ill. She looked gaunt and sickly. She finally had it deflated and now she's put on tons of weight. It was obviously not a good investment.

It's Truly sad because now their using the VSG as the new next best thing as a revision to failed band's. It's JMHO but too many needing revisions from the Crap band are having the sleeve done without any thought. WTH is going on with the Bariatric surgeon's? Do they get together and just say: O.K. let's talk ppl into this as a WLS, wonder what will be next,
why not stick to the tried and true? SIGH

Because they they can upsell them to the DS they should have had in the first place - only by that time, after two failed restriction-only surgeries (VSG may be a little more, but not much), their metabolisms are shot to hell, and they'll still struggle with their third-chance DS.

There is a reason leeches are no longer used to treat fevers, science has learned more and better treatment options exist. Even some previously laudable procedures, such as the Ileal jejunal bypass, have been shelved in favor of more efficacious and safer procedures. The days of the lap band are rapidly coming to an end, because the sleeve is simply a BETTER and SAFER procedure! And for the morbidly obese, the duodenal switch is the clear best bet. It's what I am having soon, but I certainly hope that in 10 yrs they have a far better option than that. I'm never going to become emotionally attached to a medical procedure, simply because I chose to have it. It's the best we've got for now for patients like myself. Should a better choice be available in the future, you bet yer hiney I'll be promoting that one.

Latest posts

Back