Paleo Empanadas

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Ok, so I know we don't have to follow paleo diets, but I'm finding a lot of paleo recipes online that are great for DSers (and VSGers that are able to eat high fat) because they're high protein and low carb.mi made these last night and they came out better than I expected once I started working with the dough, it was a pain in the ass and I was skeptical as they went into the oven, but once I figured out to press out the dough between 2 sheets of wax paper instead of trying to roll them with a rolling pin it was much easier.

Paleo Empanadas

Ingredients:
1 egg, whisked (for brushing the empanadas with)
FOR THE DOUGH- 2 cups almond flour + more for dusting (I use Honeyville brand)
- 1/2 tsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil

FOR THE FILLING:- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 Tbsp. lard/bacon fat or tallow
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Dash red pepper flakes
- Dash cayenne
- 1 6oz. can tomato paste

Directions:
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
1. Using a fork, mix the almond flour, arrowroot powder and salt in a medium sized bowl, making sure it is well combined.
2. Add the beaten eggs and olive oil and mix with fork until the dough is well mixed and thick. Cover in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:1. Heat the lard/bacon fat or tallowl in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes.2. Add the ground beef to the skillet and break apart with the wooden spoon. Add the seasonings and cook for about 5 minutes.3. Stir in the tomato paste and turn down the heat to low. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes. 4. Take pan off of the heat and set aside. Allow to cool before filling empanadas.

TO PREPARE THE EMPANADAS:1. Preheat oven to 400F. Make sure rack is in the center of the oven.2. Take the dough out of the fridge and make 8 balls with it. Roll out each ball into a circle, or press the dough into a medium sized dough press using your fingers.3. Add about 2-3 Tbsp. of filling to the middle of each dough circle, fold in half and squeeze the edges together. Brush the empanadas with the egg wash and place on a baking pan. 4. Bake the empanadas for 10 minutes, flip over and bake for another 10 minutes. 5. Serve with guacamole and enjoy!

I should try these- I follow a lot of primal/paleo/lc cooking sites, and when I'm not being an overly indulgent masochist- I do eat like this nearly 90% of the time.. (I say masochist only because I love, love things like good pizza, but my guts bloat when I eat them.. plus I gain quick on excess starch/sugar- stick with good old fat & protein, no issues..) Honeyville's almond flour rocks.

I should try these- I follow a lot of primal/paleo/lc cooking sites, and when I'm not being an overly indulgent masochist- I do eat like this nearly 90% of the time.. (I say masochist only because I love, love things like good pizza, but my guts bloat when I eat them.. plus I gain quick on excess starch/sugar- stick with good old fat & protein, no issues..) Honeyville's almond flour rocks.

I haven't seen that brand, where do you buy it?

I haven't seen that brand, where do you buy it?

Sorry, I saw it up above on the recipe- thought that's what you had used. I buy it from them direct, online- also the coconut flour.. Their blanched almond flour is so fine that it makes the best sub I've found for wheat flours texture wise, dense, but more cake-like than others.. I've yet to experiment with arrowroot/oat flour/etc. and forget anything like carbalose (aka cardboard flour..)

I keep the big bags of nut flours in the freezer, and a few cups in a mason jar in the fridge for easy use. http://honeyville.com/

Omg, I had the recipe copied from a website and saved in a file and I just copied and pasted it here, didn't even realize it, but thanks for the info, I'm gonna check it out :)

** just looked and I can see from the photo alone that it looks more like flour than what I've been using! Thx :)

Hmmm I have organic coconut flour. I use it in Girlrocker pancakes.
I think I have some sort of NUT flour too in the walk in pantry. I remember buying it, just not using it.
How are they used differently?
(this is all a whole new world to me)
Kenny

Me too Kenny! And I'm winging most things as I've never don't gluten free recipes before a couple weeks ago and it's a whole different ball game from what I'm used to with lots of experience with regular cooking/baking. I think I read someone mention that coconut flour makes things more cakey?

Hmmm I have organic coconut flour. I use it in Girlrocker pancakes.
I think I have some sort of NUT flour too in the walk in pantry. I remember buying it, just not using it.
How are they used differently?
(this is all a whole new world to me)
Kenny

Here's a good starter 'splainer on coconut flour baking.. http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/04/low-carb-basics-baking-with-coconut-flour.html
I use it less than almond flour (but should use it more, just because almond flour is so rich, and then there's all the arguments over omega balance etc.. anyhoo..) Coconut flour is like a friggen sponge. I like it mixed with something, but rarely on it's own.. I'll get whacky in the kitchen if I'm not following a recipie and start adding unflavored gelatin (works well in pancakes to keep them together) and oils, eggs, protein powders.. sometimes the result is a hockey puck that gets trashed, other times- some pretty good stuff.

Here's a good starter 'splainer on coconut flour baking.. http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/04/low-carb-basics-baking-with-coconut-flour.html
I use it less than almond flour (but should use it more, just because almond flour is so rich, and then there's all the arguments over omega balance etc.. anyhoo..) Coconut flour is like a friggen sponge. I like it mixed with something, but rarely on it's own.. I'll get whacky in the kitchen if I'm not following a recipie and start adding unflavored gelatin (works well in pancakes to keep them together) and oils, eggs, protein powders.. sometimes the result is a hockey puck that gets trashed, other times- some pretty good stuff.

OMG, she has amazing recipes! I just saved almost all of them, thanks! :)

Latest posts

Back