Osteoporosis Infusion Runaround

Sheanie

My appeals for Prolia failed. Feb 28th my doctors' nurse said she would get me started on Reclast. Next contact I get is April 1, a lab order required before Reclast. Then nothing, despite my weekly calls leaving her messages.

Today I refused to leave a message. I held for her, for 23 minutes. She said the infusion center has the order, but she was unaware they also require her to verbally order infusion. Sigh........, but then said "you arent the only one"......???? Not cool. At all.

Meanwhile, the lab results expired. So now I do that again.

So far, I have been patient. That ends now.

I have great anxiety over this infusion, from horror stories about Reclast side effects in my family. My insurance does not care. I have to "fail" Reclast before Prolia is approved. Jerks.

My insurance does not care. I have to "fail" Reclast before Prolia is approved. Jerks.
I feel for you. Yeah, that's why I went the Reclast route cause you have to "fail" it first. But you also have to waste so much time FAILING cause they require two times for it to go beyond Reclast.

At one time, I fantasized about blowing up the BCBS office in Denver. This need to fail crap is horrible. Yes, I suppose it makes sense (sorta) to fail at diets to qualify for WLS. Some injection that is there for a while is what scared me about Reclast. Not that Prolia is much better with injections every six months, yet having had no problems with Forteo and Boniva, my anxiety level wasn't too high.

I hope it doesn't end in you harming anyone, but if it does, send me the address of your prison and I'll send you stuff.

At one time, I fantasized about blowing up the BCBS office in Denver. This need to fail crap is horrible. Yes, I suppose it makes sense (sorta) to fail at diets to qualify for WLS. Some injection that is there for a while is what scared me about Reclast. Not that Prolia is much better with injections every six months, yet having had no problems with Forteo and Boniva, my anxiety level wasn't too high.

I hope it doesn't end in you harming anyone, but if it does, send me the address of your prison and I'll send you stuff.
I would more likely end up in prison for killing a family member than any insurance building. I do hope they allow knitting in the Big House. Otherwise, it would be a bummer.

I feel like maybe circulars would be okay. After 9-11 I had straights confiscated by TSA, but not my 1" mini scissors that looked like a dog, or my 36" cabled circular METAL needles. And I have drawn blood on MYSELF with those nasties.

But we all know TSA is like your gramma compared to the Big House.

Reclast infusion was bad. Arm, then chest pain during infusion. Stopped it, dizziness. Ran it slow, symptoms worsened. So they ran it slower, I got it all. That was Monday.

I wish I had never gotten it. I have lost the entire week. I hurt everywhere, cant move without pain. Muscle pain. Hurts to breathe. So I have tried Tylenol, IBU, and aspirin, all separately. I go to see my doctor in an hour. I truly doubt she can do anything at this point.

The worst part is I knew this would happen. Now I'm just viciously angry. Like "get my shovel" angry. And no one to blame but myself.

I'm not sure what reclast treats

When I looked it up I found

"Bone health
It can treat high blood calcium levels. I n addition it can treat bone damage caused by Paget's disease, multiple myeloma, and cancers that spread to the bone. It can also treat osteoporosis and reduce the risk of hip fractures in certain patients."

I realize you have osteoporosis

I was surprised about high blood calcium levels. Is that something that troubles you?

The reason I ask is I thought post DS one has to take calcium supplements
It was given to me for osteoporosis treatment. In order for it to work, I was told normies (non DSers) need to supplement D and calcium.

No, I am not worried or concerned about high calcium blood levels. Mine has never been high.

Reclast infusion was bad. Arm, then chest pain during infusion. Stopped it, dizziness. Ran it slow, symptoms worsened. So they ran it slower, I got it all. That was Monday.

I wish I had never gotten it. I have lost the entire week. I hurt everywhere, cant move without pain. Muscle pain. Hurts to breathe. So I have tried Tylenol, IBU, and aspirin, all separately. I go to see my doctor in an hour. I truly doubt she can do anything at this point.

The worst part is I knew this would happen. Now I'm just viciously angry. Like "get my shovel" angry. And no one to blame but myself.
I am sorry it hurt so bad. I was warned here that it easily felt like a horrid case of the flu. Mine was a very mild reaction, so mild that it was completely gone the next day. I knew I was lucky.

My doctor said my reaction should have been justification to pull the IV. She was shocked at my condition. I have slept the entire week, and still have chest pain. She ordered labs and listened to my heart for a long time. I saw her at 11, slept the entire day til now. She will not prescribe Reclast again.

On a good note, my weight is the highest its ever been post op, 129. I finally have some curves back.

Latest posts

Back