Oral Osteoporosis Medications

k9ophile

I have been under the impression that our altered anatomy was not suited for oral osteoporosis medications. What say you, members who have osteoporosis? I'm researching science based articles, yet would also appreciate any anecdotal findings you may have.

I have been under the impression that our altered anatomy was not suited for oral osteoporosis medications. What say you, members who have osteoporosis? I'm researching science based articles, yet would also appreciate any anecdotal findings you may have.
My PCP understood that IV meds got to the blood stream.

I would like to know.

I've gotten shorter. My DexaScans aren't great.

But...
I knew someone who had a family member who got jaw bone necrosis from Fosamax or wharever, so
I just nod and walk away.

I would like to know.

I've gotten shorter. My DexaScans aren't great.

But...
I knew someone who had a family member who got jaw bone necrosis from Fosamax or wharever, so
I just nod and walk away.
I hear you. I've lost 3" and my DEXA get worse every time. I think I'm going to give up on RX myself*. Just keep on taking my calcium, vitamin D, blah blah blah. I need to start some low impact weight bearing exercise. The dogs would love a walk around the neighborhood.

* Not ruling it out 100%, yet I haven't seen an endocrinologist.

I hear you. I've lost 3" and my DEXA get worse every time. I think I'm going to give up on RX myself*. Just keep on taking my calcium, vitamin D, blah blah blah. I need to start some low impact weight bearing exercise. The dogs would love a walk around the neighborhood.

* Not ruling it out 100%, yet I haven't seen an endocrinologist.

Yes, I need impact exercise to combat osteoporosis...except, of course, my orthos all want me to avoid impact stuff so that I don't need new knees or hips.

My RX for pains--arthritis, bladder, small kidney stones, the concussion I gave myself, scrapes, bruises, post surgical pain, dental work--all get treated under this one Rx for 10mg of Norco/Vicodin, up to four times a day, prn pain. (Except the kidney stones may progress to an Emergency Department visit and dilaudid.

This qualifies me as part of the Nationwide Opioid Problem, and the Nationwide Senior Citizen Opioid Problem. I have, over the years, built up a tolerance for this drug. The relief that 2.5 mg gave me years ago, now takes 7.5-10 mg. But I don't need it the way I "needed" Valium back in the day. I almost always need 7.5-10 mg to allow me to walk in the morning. But after that, it's a matter of Disease-Injury du Jour. I have NEVER used up the 120 pills in a month. I ALWAYS wait over 30 days to request a new prescription. I also possess a growing stash of "earthquake supply" Norco. The quotes are there because I think I'm probably more concerned that someone will decide that old people can't have that drug anymore than I am about being stuck w/out pain meds post-earthquake. But the lie sounds less paranoid...at least to me.

I have several friends who live with chronic pain. There has to be some sanity in solving The Opioid Crisis. I have a high intolerance to the heavy duty pain meds. I got Dilaudid in the ER in Nov. for pain. It made me woozy for about 20 minutes, but never did eliminate the pain. It went from a 9 to a 6 for those 20 minutes. Then it slowly climbed back to higher numbers.

The endocrinologist said walking was enough of a low impact exercise. My left bionic knee can't tolerate much exercise. 'They" were right: growing old isn't for sissies.

Latest posts

Back