One week plus post op

Katie T.

I didn't expect recovery to be this hard. I still need help showering ect. How long does it take to stay doing things again.... How long did it take for you to go back to work and have the energy?

Each person recovers differently. I had no problems, was just more tired than usual. At 4 weeks out, I was doing okay, 8 weeks so much better and by 12 weeks was painting walls and laying tile. I was closing in on 57 by 12 weeks out.

It IS hard. Just one time, my husband performed a much needed task after using the toilet. (And I have helped him with hygiene, too. You know, that in sickness and health part of the wedding vows. LOL) It does get better. The lucky ones will recover quicker than others. I envied them.

I was out of work for 14 weeks. Recovery was difficult for me. By the time I went back I was almost 100%. I went back to work the day after my 50th Birthday.

I’m so sorry it’s hard! Sending you healing vibes! My surgery is coming up in January and my Dr. said I could carpool the kids right away if I’m not taking pain meds. I’m not counting on that and I’m making other arrangements. My hubs can’t stay home for long to take care of me. I’m just hoping to be self sufficient enough to get my own water, pain meds, etc.

How is everything else going? How’s your pain? Getting your water in?

Pain isn't to bad anymore except when my bowels move. Water intake is way over what I need... So that's good. My stomache wasn't touched on my revision.

The first month, showering was pretty much an hours-long affair. Shampoo, rest, rinse, rest, soap up, rest.... you get the idea. And then a nap after. For some reason that was the most exhausting activity. It does get better. I actually forgot that part until I read your post! At almost 5 years out, so much is nothing but a memory. And it will be for you, too!

It gets better! I am 5.5 weeks out. Went back to work at 4 weeks. I still don't have the energy I want but I walk more with less stress on my knee and back. Hang in there and drink, drink, drink.

Recovery was horrilbe. First week was really bad. First day was very, very bad. I could function in about a month. It took 4 months until I could function well. It took 7 months to feel normal again, it took 13 months to feel like amazing.

It was so worth it. It gets better. I was called tiny 3 times today. :)

Latest posts

Back