One month check-in with surgeon

harrietvane

Had my call last night and all went well, though surgeons aren't a chatty bunch!

- Wants me to up my protein. Getting 60g at the moment, so gagging down some shakes it is. Still hunting for the elusive tasty protein powder!

- Wants me to start incorporating exercise, particularly upper body exercise, to prevent loss of muscle mass. Any ideas? My condo has pools and a gym. I have a kickboard and flippers for swimming, which I have done a handful of times pre-surgery. I'll be heading down to the gym to check it out later (I only remember treadmills) and seeing if my gym shoes still fit!

- I'm still working on resolving my vitamin situation. Calcium and D3 will be arriving this week. Taking a Centrum. Any suggestions on what else I need to add? He just reminded me about the ADEKs and that the blood testing request will come through for my local doctor to order.

- Happy with my weight loss of 13 kg (25% of EWL), with predictions of another 13kg by the three-month mark. Though given I haven't lost anything this week, I'm sceptical!

- Wants me to start incorporating exercise, particularly upper body exercise, to prevent loss of muscle mass. Any ideas? My condo has pools and a gym. I have a kickboard and flippers for swimming, which I have done a handful of times pre-surgery. I'll be heading down to the gym to check it out later (I only remember treadmills) and seeing if my gym shoes still fit!

- I'm still working on resolving my vitamin situation. Calcium and D3 will be arriving this week. Taking a Centrum. Any suggestions on what else I need to add? He just reminded me about the ADEKs and that the blood testing request will come through for my local doctor to order.
All I did was walk and get more active around the house. But exercise will keep your muscles in better shape.

Look at the Vitalady list... http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ At this point, you need to be slowly adding what you can. The A, the D, the E, and the K...most don't need E so worry about the other three first. Iron and ANYTHING you may have been low or low normal pre-op. Exceptions...you WANT your B6 and your PTH low normal.

Wants me to start incorporating exercise, particularly upper body exercise, to prevent loss of muscle mass. Any ideas?

The best exercise is the one you'll do -- in other words one you enjoy. I like listening to audible books and power walking 4 miles outside -- fresh air and sunshine improve my mood. For actual muscle maintenance and development, I've also returned to Jazzercise which I have done off and on for 35 years. But a gym membership where I have to be on machines and a treadmill? Forget about it.

Around here we adhere to the 30 gr protein (food and/or shakes) by 30 days, 60 by 60 days, 90 by 90 days... so you're doing OK. If you can EAT 60 gr of protein already you are doing far better than me at 4 months out!

Hang in there. Sounds like you're doing great.

Thanks for your tips! I get plenty of walking in, which is why I thought I was doing well. (Living in Singapore, I don't have a car and catch public transport everywhere; it's upwards of $50K to get a permit to own a car in the first place!) I've also ordered an activity tracker, the new Misfit Ray which looks more like jewellery.

Surgeon was more concerned that I get something upper body in. I used to do Crossfit type training, so I'm going to see if there's any weights I can start adding in, as well as walking/swimming. I'm very lucky to have a gym and pool in my apartment building, but I need help from a trainer working out how to craft a weight plan.

I would advise against increasing any activity until you are getting 125 grams of protein a day. You will eat muscle if you aren't getting sufficient protein and try to work out. Get your strength back and then start working out.

@DSRIGGS that was what I thought, but the surgeon seemed very concerned. I am focusing on getting my protein up, and starting to eat 'real' food again. I'm also trying to run a business - I'm actually working today facilitating a workshop - so my energy levels are in the toilet at the moment doing 6 or 7 day weeks and sorting out office drama.

Thanks for another perspective!

@DSRIGGS that was what I thought, but the surgeon seemed very concerned. I am focusing on getting my protein up, and starting to eat 'real' food again. I'm also trying to run a business - I'm actually working today facilitating a workshop - so my energy levels are in the toilet at the moment doing 6 or 7 day weeks and sorting out office drama.

Thanks for another perspective!
You are welcome. These surgeons don't have to live this recovery and their nutritional advice usually sucks. As you said you are already exhausted trying to run your business as it is taking all your energy just to do that. Adding in exercise now only makes it worse. Sure you will need to work on your muscle strength when the time is right but he should no better than to tell you to work out when you are only a month from surgery and not getting much nutrition. More protein will help your energy but to me you need to be eating at least 150 grams of protein before even thinking about strength training..... And that is going to be several months for you to be able to consume that much protein.

Hang in their and only do what you can do. You are a trooper and doing well.

Latest posts

Back