Old thread (2011) with summaries/links about bad surgeons

Thanks for posting that link, Diana. I don't know the person involved or the backstory (apart from what I can glean from the thread), but I think reading through that thread would make any pre-op think twice about using a surgeon that they have been warned against. We can't all use very experienced DS surgeons (and they all have to start somewhere), but at the very least they should be very experienced surgeons with untarnished reputations. What a terribly sad story, though! So much hope for a new, better life, gone forever :(.

Yes. I've used different names on different boards. Probably because I'm in a different mood each time. I'm Spiky Bugger here because that's what Kirmy called me.

Very. Ms Cal Culator, I presume?

I knew it! Even if her name wasn’t there I could still tell who it was by that unique writing prowess and that special sassy, charm, grace, style and whit :D. I mean that as a compliment of course!

Very sad circumatances though, not trying to make light of it. The post is very informative and as relevant as ever. A Lot to absorb and should be a required read for everyone in the newbie stage especially. Thxs for reposting DC.

Last edited:
Yes. I've used different names on different boards. Probably because I'm in a different mood each time. I'm Spiky Bugger here because that's what Kirmy called me.
I love both names :). I always struggle with coming up with a good, original name that works, so tend to stick with the same one 90% of the time. A bit boring, I know, but I guess I'm just not terribly creative when it comes to such things :(.

On the subject of the thread: I know it was very fresh in everyone's minds when you started it, but I think it is a very valuable thread, and probably was just as valuable at the time. There is always the desire, on the one hand, to give some respectful distance to such a tragic event before talking about it. But that conflicts with a desire - a need, really - to talk about it with others who will understand your feelings at the time. When you can't talk, these things percolate inside, and make it all much harder to deal with. Starting the conversation, as you did, I'm convinced would have helped not only you, but others too, by freeing them up to express their feelings too.

I knew it! Even if her name wasn’t there I could still tell who it was by that unique writing prowess and that special sassy, charm, grace, style and whit :D. I mean that as a compliment of course!

Very sad circumatances though, not trying to make light of it. The post is very informative and as relevant as ever. A Lot to absorb and should be a required read for everyone in the newbie stage especially. Thxs for reposting DC.
Nah...it's just the excessive use of ellipses...like this...that you recognize.

Nah...it's just the excessive use of ellipses...like this...that you recognize.

Wow, Spiky, you’re right! We do both do that! To be honest, I actually had to go wiki that to even remind myself what an “ellipse” even is lol! I also went back and re-read your original post, in particular the part with mini-sue, and I just want you and Diana and Larra and EN, Liz, J, V, and all the other Vets that help so much, too many to list, to just think about ONE thing.

I’m going to say something I’ve wanted to say for a while, an observation, an opinion, call it whatever you like…and YES…another long winded post:

I was sitting outside last weekend by a nice campfire on a beautiful cool clear evening in my backyard, had a really nice Anchor Xmas Ale (just one), and smoked a pipe, only 1 bowl, and YES it was just Tobacco!!! (I’m not in California)…lol, and had a beautiful relaxing, reflective thought provoking evening, and I was just thinking about how many people you guys have helped over the years, how many actual lives you have without a doubt saved, how many family’s you’ve saved from either the death of a loved one or the trauma from being maimed or the trauma from receiving a “bait-n-no switch”, the list is really quite extensive. And I just kept asking myself…Do “they” (you people)…lol, even realize how many people they’ve helped and saved over the years? I wonder if they actually ever think about that?

It’s kind of like the ole Jimmy Stewart movie, “It’s a wonderful life”, and you don’t even know how many lives you may have saved and helped and what an impact in a lot of people’s lives you’ve had. A lot of people will never post and some will never even realize that they just headed off a disaster by taking the advice of getting a second opinion or doing more self advocating etc, and this is just scratching the surface, not to mention the virtual plethora of advice and information on nutrition and vitamins, Labs etc.

So, unfortunately, yes, you are going to lose one every now and then, but just stop and think how many you’ve saved and help. That’s what I got out of re-reading you’lls original posts on OH, and..what I’ve been thinking and saying for a while.

Last edited:
I was looking for something today and stumbled on this old thread, and wanted to park the link where it could be found again.
Making an exception to the rule of NO actual OH links...this one DOES need linking altho I really don't like linking to them since they don't want to let us link here on their site.

Since the OP was edited, I am editing mine.

So there are reasons for exceptions to the rules about linking to other places in spite of their not allowing a link from here...but if we can find a way around it, we will.

Last edited:
Making an exception to the rule of NO actual OH links...this one DOES need linking altho I really don't like linking to them since they don't want to let us link here on their site.

That's a good judgment call as the benefits and information to be obtained outweighs the liabilities. Rules are meant to be occasionally subjectively interpreted, thxs for allowing!

Latest posts

Back