Ok, 1 week post op. What say the vets on how to manage the next week?

My protein's label is:

Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey)

Its about the best I could find that I can stomach and afford.

I use egg white protein and NOT the Jay Robb because it has sugar alcohols.
Thank you.

Interesting you mention skim milk. I have been using some to make my protein shakes with. I seem to tolerate it other than I have been having some stinky lose stool syndrome which I figured was normal with this much trauma and liquid going in. Should I stop the skim milk? Since my post op NUT advice is typical RNY, they suggest skim milk.

Thanks again for the advice.

Interestingly enough...the more fat there is in milk, the less lactose there is. Many of us discover lactose sensitivity post-op. So fat free milk will irritate a lactose sensitive person more than heavy whipping cream will.

Also...a smart lady I know just warned me that products may contain sugar alcohols or other artificial sweeteners when you don't expect them to. We were discussing our Keurigs and she told me that some regular (not sugar-free) k-cup hot cocoa beverages have artificial sweeteners. I had a different brand of cocoa, and a different artificial sweetener. So now we have to check EVERYTHING!

And I use egg white protein, but not Jay Robb...because it contains sugar alcohols and those are just horrid!

I had some tea last night with artificial sweetener. Did not seem to bother me.
Splenda does not bother me. DESPISE Stevia or any of it's variations. I try to stay away from sugar (habit born of being diabetic). But the itols cause me to be ONE MISERABLE PUPPY!!! Gas/Bloating/ etc.

Brian,

I agree. I'd try water instead of skim milk - and see if there's an improvement. It's all about trial and error, since everyone is different.

Real sugar, equal and splenda work fine for me. Stevia is okaytoo, but I don't like its taste. Sugar alcohols, like sorbitol are the devil.
Skim milk and skim milk powder wreak havoc. Half and half, and full whipping cream are fine. Nonfat yogurt, devil. Full fat yogurt is fine. Most grains and starches are awful for me, but corn and potatoes are fine. Movie theater popcorn is a disaster, homemade popcorn is fine. (I'm guessing the movie theater version has skim milk powder in it.)

Everything goes down better with fat.

Latest posts

Back