Ok, 1 week post op. What say the vets on how to manage the next week?

What Liz said about taste--post-op many of us found the taste of water disgusting! AND eggs are lousy at "dissolving," and your stomach is not at full speed. VERY soft scrambled maybe.

I am going to chime in, even though I had a VSG and not a DS.

I stayed on liquids much longer than I was supposed to because I just wasn't ready. I had 10 days of thin liquids followed by 10 days of full liquids and when I added pureed it was just thicker full liquids.

I could take only one tiny bite followed by a long wait. and what went down best was MOIST.

couldn't stand egg until I added mayo, for example.

I think my first food was refried beans...

If what you are doing is working, don't rock the boat too much. Try some greek yogurt, egg drop soup, sf pudding...stuff like that.

Do you know if your doc used a val-trac ring? If he did stay serious on the 'Ican drink it with a straw thing.'

Dr. Boyce's op report says he used a 25mm circular stapler to make the anastomosis of the duodenum to the Ileum. The anastomosis of the bilopancreatic limb to the alimentary limb is typical side-to-side stapled. Pretty much I think he sticks to the common version of the procedure. I think he does vary the CC length depending on starting BMI. My CC is 125cm according to the report.

Brian,

First, congratulations and welcome to the next phase of your life! For the first few weeks after being discharged, I was a huge fan of having a couple of teaspoons of soup with melted cheese in it (tomato, chicken broth, egg drop, whatever - mainly just a base for a nibble of melted cheese). I also started full fat yogurt, usually greek. I also started taking a few couple of bites of cream cheese pancakes. 1 egg, 1 oz of cream cheese, sweetener and cinnamon to taste, fried in butter. Scrambled eggs (with cheese!) were next, but took a while. I didn't like much else that I tried until about a month out. I'd recommend you watch out for skim milk and skim milk powder and grains until you know what your digestive system can handle. They sneak those ingredients into so many things and they can wreak havoc.

Brian,

First, congratulations and welcome to the next phase of your life! For the first few weeks after being discharged, I was a huge fan of having a couple of teaspoons of soup with melted cheese in it (tomato, chicken broth, egg drop, whatever - mainly just a base for a nibble of melted cheese). I also started full fat yogurt, usually greek. I also started taking a few couple of bites of cream cheese pancakes. 1 egg, 1 oz of cream cheese, sweetener and cinnamon to taste, fried in butter. Scrambled eggs (with cheese!) were next, but took a while. I didn't like much else that I tried until about a month out. I'd recommend you watch out for skim milk and skim milk powder and grains until you know what your digestive system can handle. They sneak those ingredients into so many things and they can wreak havoc.

Thank you.

Interesting you mention skim milk. I have been using some to make my protein shakes with. I seem to tolerate it other than I have been having some stinky lose stool syndrome which I figured was normal with this much trauma and liquid going in. Should I stop the skim milk? Since my post op NUT advice is typical RNY, they suggest skim milk.

Thanks again for the advice.

Brian, make it with water and see if it clears up the issue. Then again it may be the protein powder that you are using. I had to use water and used JUST Whey Isolate (NOT blend or concentrate)

Latest posts

Back