Not drinking enough.

Dawn

So the hospital just called to see how I was doing. I thought I was doing great managed to get in 500 ml today. Apparently that is actually piss pour. I have to go get my blood pressure done the the morning and see if I need to be readmitted for dehydration.

Every swallow hurts all the way down. I thought being a revision and operated on twice this would be normal until the swelling calmed down. Did you guys have pain with swallowing from your sleeve?

Yes! Try different temps, different flavors, etc. BUT KEEP SIPPING. You need over three times that much: 1,892.7 ml is right at 64 oz. Right now you are getting about 16 oz.

I had a lot of trouble with liquids myself. I'm only 2 1/2 months out. We need a minimum of 64 ounces, which I think is around 1900 mls. I had to experiment with different flavors and different temperatures. I finally found I could drink hot tea. Also drinking chicken broth helped me get liquids in.

1 teaspoon per minute = 2 oz. in 6 minutes = 10 oz. per hour. Use a measuring teaspoon and a stopwatch or kitchen timer. You will get in 64 oz. in 6.5 hours. Get on the stick hon, I know it's hard, but if you want to stay out of the hospital and off the IV, you will make it happen. Hang in there, you can do it.

For now, go get a couple bags of fluids. Then keep it up.

ETA: Yes, you're going to feel it all the way down. Use your pain meds and acid reducer and anti nausea meds. If you are missing any of these, get them from your surgeon ASAP.

Your full time job is hydration. It is something to be endured and survived. It will not be fun and it might entail some actual suffering for a few days, but it should be manageable.

what everyone else said - keep posting, too. the hard to sip even teeny bits is temporary!!

Latest posts

Back