NON-Surgeon Reviews

I truly would like to believe Dr. Houston's reluctance to do DS was due to concerns of a negative outcome. But I simply don't buy it after spending 33yrs working in health care and 23 as an RN. Regrettably, it's more likely to be about money. He can perform 4-5 lap bands or sleeves per day vs. only 2 DS's for about the same price point. He also know's well that many lap band/sleeve patients go on to have a revision to DS eventually when weight regain rears it's ugly head, so the hope is to do 2 surgeries with each patient. If he was concerned about malabsorptive issues with DS...ask him why he still does the Roux-en-y? Which has similar issues PLUS dumping syndrome). It's because it's about 45min faster than DS, and they can squeeze in another band that day. I know!! It's as cynical a view as the day is long, but my large (pre op!) gut tells me it's the truth nonetheless. :frustrated:
Just my humble opinion, yet I do believe Houston has a sincere concern about the DS patients being non-compliant. My complaint against him and Centennial is that they never embraced the DS to give the patients the information they need to succeed. They treat them like RNY patients, for crying out loud.

You also have to remember that Centennial is a TriStar hospital, a for-profit entity. When Houston started doing the DS, he was only given one day in which to schedule his DS patients. He also is the only one at Centennial that does them. Limited OR space means doctors have to compete for time. The administration is going to favor the highest producers. I could be wrong yet I really don't think Houston is that greedy.

Actually, I can put it back. Admins are the ONLY ones who have the ability to hard delete a post (that means it's really gone). Members only have the soft delete function. It hides them but it is still there.

@BeccaHertel I am going to put your post back.

What I suggested to Becca was to get Dr. Kim to answer these questions:

1) how many DS's has he done?
2) how long has he done them?
3) Who did he proctor with to learn the surgery?
4) how long has he done revisions to a DS from other WLSs?

And then add to our surgeon reviews the answer to those. That will help and having more DS surgeons is always a good thing IF they are doing them responsibly.

Protein Snob: I wasn't trying to be closed minded, I was just trying to explain that Dr. Kim is frequently doing Duodenal Switches now. I'm sorry if it came off that way. Rebekah Fenner is a friend of mine from the Facebook OH group who just had her (and her husband's) DS done with Dr. Kim. I'm sorry about the complications you had with your surgery and I wish things had gone better for you.
I've taken precautions with Dr. Kim and his office that I am only to get the DS and nothing else. I have full confidence and trust in him and his practice :)
I appreciate your concern and wish you luck with your journey :)

Becca
Virgin DS and revisions are not the same animal.

Now MY experience with Robert Brolin, a true god of WLS.

First Google hit on his name plus "curriculum vitae": http://www.njbariatricspc.com/downloads/Dr. Brolin - Honors, Awards, & Publications.pdf

Did we notice that this is all OLLLLLLLD?

http://www.njbariatricspc.com/bariatric-surgeons-nj/dr-brolin/

See the combover? That's how DATED and UNREALISTIC all the info is.

His practice? A mill, staffed by his offspring, their spouses and other kiss-asses.

You go in the door and get mugged by the big ass pics of THE DOC with.....whom? Other People In Suits. Who gives a shit?

Who is sitting in the waiting room? The day *I* went in there....paying $300 and organizing oxygen supply and commuting a hell of a long way each way for the privilege.....There were crying preops and crying postops and crying complications peeps....Like the way too skinny bitch who sat there clutching her freshly sliced gut and moaning and struggled to her feet to run, staggering, to the powder room, who emanated major fucking stench, but who manage to control herself (she thought) to tell me all aboutg how her Brolin RNY was lovely and she was an exception and had had a TINY adjustment...... And then she gagged and I grabbed her hand and yelled for a bag. Did staff respond? Nope. My then-housemate had a bag that she held out.

Dr. Brolin claimed on his website and his obesity help advertisement that he did DS. Otherwise I would never have wasted my time on his lying ass. I called his number. The gal answering the phone said HUH WHAT? We don't DO DS. I said fine good bye/

Then some lying asshole called me back and said yeah sure he does DS. Let's schedule you, come on up, gimme your creditit card info fo4 $300 payable in advance.

I was dumb enough to believe that shit. I gave my number. We went to his Mecca place, which is a strip mall that he bought for cheap and into which he implanted his lackeys and offsprig. We went in the door and from the outset, every bit of intelligence I possessed (but didn't believe, because I was fat and he could FIX ME) said THIS IS A SCAM.

First stop? MONEY. Didn't fill out the form online? That's okay, gimme the money. I didn't fill out the form because your form is RNY only and I will only get DS? Um, huh, what? DS? It's okay,go to the next station.

And so it went. Mill, mill, mill. Umpteenth stop in the mill was surgical resident, who endured the full brunt of my not inconsiderable wrath by that point, who was student and scientist enough to stop and interrupt his motherfucking cult speech to hear that I spoke above a third grade level and knew both APA and AMA citation and could argue my case for the undisputed superiorty of the DS for ME to get stopped in his goddamned mindless salesboy tracks...... And who had the GUTS to say to the WLS GOD FUCKING BROLIN in my full hearing, outside my tiny, overheated, supposedly SCARY exam room door, that I had done my research, understood my health picture, and convincingly argued my position.....only to get SHOT DOWN by the WLS GOD Brolin..... Oh I dare not say what I think of that cocksucking egomaniac motherfucker.

Robert Brolin will get my edited version AFTER he sends me $300 plus interest plus damages for how he fucked me over.
En how do you really feel about him?

@BeccaHertel listen to these vets. I got a RNY 15 years ago and needed a revision. I was going to the same dr who did my first surgery. Good old @Larra found me on oh and directed me to these people who where mean, evil, and hurt my feelings by telling me my Dr would kill me just as he had done another. Shoot I didn't want to hear that crap from these pushy people who I thought of as bullies. Plus I could of had my surgery for 0$$$ with the doctor. My mom had just passed and I didn't want to die so I researched. They recommended Dr K. In a different state and I'd have to pay a program fee of 4000. I had also found out my mother had reported the doctor I was going to use to the board for almost killing her twin when he refused to remove a bad organ.

Fast forward: I had problems during surgery with Dr.K one of the best. I had life threatening complications which can happen with any surgery or surgeon. But guess what when they do happen you would rather have an expert on the case rather than the most convenient. With all the problems I have had I'd be dead messing around with the free surgery close to home. Yes I had a date and approval and was forced to start from the beginning.

Be careful. Thanks to @elizabeth N, @Diana, and a few others being rude, blunt, and honest IM ALIVE TO SHARE THIS WITH YOU.

Yeah, compared to how I yelled at Charris, PS has been sweet as can be :).

Yea just imagine. I deleted my membership and the cardinal sin of deleting post during my tantrum. I have to say EN for sure handed me my ass. in a basket if you have seen me that's a big task! Just imagine if she was actually trying to be mean! :helpsmiley:

Edited typing

Not to be a Negative Nancy or anything, but have any of the people who have recently reported having the actual Duodenal Switch with Dr Kim read their surgical report and confirmed they GOT the Duodenal Switch? Because until they do, I'm still dubious. Sorry, but dubious.

Not to be a Negative Nancy or anything, but have any of the people who have recently reported having the actual Duodenal Switch with Dr Kim read their surgical report and confirmed they GOT the Duodenal Switch? Because until they do, I'm still dubious. Sorry, but dubious.

Sheanie great point. Read for themselves to assure they didn't get a DS like surgery. But heck if they are dishonest to patients about what they are getting why would anyone trust what they right because unless there were major problems post surgery who would really find out?

Well, @Charris , I got the idea from Elizabeth and Diana to request a copy of your surgical report. I got a look at mine, confirmed that I got the DS, but didn't ask for a copy. It's part of your medical records. You can get a copy from the hospital or your surgeon. You don't have to pay anything for it from your surgeon. But most patients "trust" their doctor and don't want to know if they got screwed, I have learned.

Well, @Charris , I got the idea from Elizabeth and Diana to request a copy of your surgical report. I got a look at mine, confirmed that I got the DS, but didn't ask for a copy. It's part of your medical records. You can get a copy from the hospital or your surgeon. You don't have to pay anything for it from your surgeon. But most patients "trust" their doctor and don't want to know if they got screwed, I have learned.

Yes i got mines after i was ordered to by everyone on here right after surgery so they could try to help me figure out what could be wrong with me. I have had at least 15 surgeries and never even thought to ask for my surgical report. You live and you learn, hopefully.

Elizabeth could you expound more on your statement that "Virgin DS and revisions are not the same animal." If a Dr. regularly performs Gastic sleeves, and he also does revisions from sleeves to duodenal switches, wouldn't he/she be demonstrating sufficient proficiency to also perform a virgin DS? I can understand if they ALWAYS did revisions from a different procedure, such as a Roux-en-y, it might be different. I have given my Dr. credit for the thousands of each 1/2 of a full DS he's done, but I get the impression he's not done a huge amount of virgin procedures. Should I be concerned, and if so, could you please explain exactly why? Is it a stamina issue...doing a full 4-4 1/2 hr. long surgery? Can't think of a scientific basis otherwise....but am open to the possibility there's something I just am not aware of yet. Please anyone feel welcome to chime in. I realize the ultimate decision will be mine and mine alone, but I'd appreciate any input on the subject to help in my decision making process.

Latest posts

Back