NON-Surgeon Reviews

Not my experience, but Thomas Chua, Milwaukee:

Here is the whole story about my Dr.
So before I go into what happened yesterday I have to tell you about prior to this meeting. I have state insurance and needed to go to a bariatric Center of Excellents to be covered. After looking in my state of WI nobody really does the DS but there was one Dr Thomas Chua that had it listed on his web site. So after calling they had me go to the seminar knowing I was interested in the DS. I went to their seminar and he went through the different surgeries even the DS. After the seminar I hung around talking to him about the DS and the insurance I had and it didn't seem like there was a problem with the whole thing so I made an appointment to visit the coordinator and nutritionist. Everything was going great until I mentioned my surgery of choice the DS The nutritionist said that I don't think he does that surgery so she excused her self and went to talk to the coordinator they came back in and asked if I had talked to the Dr about this choice and I said yes and that he doesn't do a lot of them but he said he could do the surgery if that's what I wanted. They told me that maybe it would be a good idea to meet him before we go through all of the program and find out he doesn't do it. I went to see him and told him I was only interested in the DS but he went through all the surgeries with me again and it seemed he was wanting me to have the RNY. Needles to say I told him that I was here to find out if he did do the DS and how many he had done in the past. He said he does do them but has done only around a dozen. So we talked about the DS some more and his experience in Bariatric surgery and I left feeling good about the whole experience with him and his staff. I then started and finished all my requirements for the insurance company and the bariatric program which leads me to yesterday.
I got to the office and was an hour late which was my fault I looked at the wrong date on the calendar and a different appointment that was for my PCP. So the lady at the desk turns to the other lady and says my 10 o'clock appointment is here they talked a little bit and she returned saying that the DR has an opening on Monday at 10 O'clock again. I said really I just drove 4hrs to get here and I thought I was actually early for my appointment and now your telling me that Im late and I will have to come back is there any way he can get me in yet today? She asked who had sent me to the clinic and I told her that I had finished the program and was here to discuss the surgery and then they could send the info to the insurance for approval. She then handed me a bunch of paperwork and said I needed to fill it out and that it would take me some time to do it. I started filling out the paperwork and it was all the same stuff I had already filled out during the first visit so I asked her if this was the same as I filled out last time and she had this puzzled look on her face and went and pulled my file she turned as said yup you already have it done.
Ok so Im not feeling very comfortable at this time 1 shouldn't they have known why I was there and who sent me? 2nd shouldn't they have pulled my records before they gave me all this paper work? 3rd they didn't seem as nice as my first meeting but it may be because I was late. So anyway I got in to see the Dr and he starts asking me who sent me here and why was I there. After retelling my story again he goes through all the same questions he had asked me on my first visit and starts going through all the surgeries with me again but he leaves out the DS. Then he asks me what surgery I was interested in and I told him the DS and he starts to tell me all the bad things that could happen during surgery with the DS so I interrupted him politely and said any of that stuff could happen with any surgery he agreed and started telling me about all the trouble I could have with the DS. It was apparent he was trying to get out of doing the DS as he grabbed his board with all the different surgeries he flips it open to the RNY and starts to explain why this is a better option. I interrupted his speech and told him I was only interested in t he DS and that I had done enough research about all the other surgeries and was not willing to have any other surgery. He then tells me that my insurance will not cover the DS or even a sleeve my choices would be a band or RNY but If I wanted he would summit it to the insurance company anyway. WTF I just went through all this stuff and now he tells me this? Why not tell me at the beginning? I know some of you are going to say well He is not a surgeon on here and you should have chosen one of them but the reality is that when I talked to the insurance company they told me they cover all bariatric surgeries if medically necessary and that it had to be instate. Anyway I left feeling sick about the whole thing. So now what to do?
When I got home I called the insurance company again and asked if the University of Chicago was in my network and they said no unless I got pre authorization for the hospital and surgeon but they may deny it and make me go instate. I also called the University of Chicago and talked with their bariatric coordinator for DR Prachand and they are willing to try to get the preauthorization and work with me. They also said they would not make me go through all of the nutrition classes again.
I guess Im not totally positive he gave me the bait and switch but it sure seemed that way. I am going to let him submit it to the insurance and see what happens. He has said he has done some DS surgeries in the past so I don't want to turn anyone off at this point. I will keep you posted.

Now MY experience with Robert Brolin, a true god of WLS.

First Google hit on his name plus "curriculum vitae": http://www.njbariatricspc.com/downloads/Dr. Brolin - Honors, Awards, & Publications.pdf

Did we notice that this is all OLLLLLLLD?

http://www.njbariatricspc.com/bariatric-surgeons-nj/dr-brolin/

See the combover? That's how DATED and UNREALISTIC all the info is.

His practice? A mill, staffed by his offspring, their spouses and other kiss-asses.

You go in the door and get mugged by the big ass pics of THE DOC with.....whom? Other People In Suits. Who gives a shit?

Who is sitting in the waiting room? The day *I* went in there....paying $300 and organizing oxygen supply and commuting a hell of a long way each way for the privilege.....There were crying preops and crying postops and crying complications peeps....Like the way too skinny bitch who sat there clutching her freshly sliced gut and moaning and struggled to her feet to run, staggering, to the powder room, who emanated major fucking stench, but who manage to control herself (she thought) to tell me all aboutg how her Brolin RNY was lovely and she was an exception and had had a TINY adjustment...... And then she gagged and I grabbed her hand and yelled for a bag. Did staff respond? Nope. My then-housemate had a bag that she held out.

Dr. Brolin claimed on his website and his obesity help advertisement that he did DS. Otherwise I would never have wasted my time on his lying ass. I called his number. The gal answering the phone said HUH WHAT? We don't DO DS. I said fine good bye/

Then some lying asshole called me back and said yeah sure he does DS. Let's schedule you, come on up, gimme your creditit card info fo4 $300 payable in advance.

I was dumb enough to believe that shit. I gave my number. We went to his Mecca place, which is a strip mall that he bought for cheap and into which he implanted his lackeys and offsprig. We went in the door and from the outset, every bit of intelligence I possessed (but didn't believe, because I was fat and he could FIX ME) said THIS IS A SCAM.

First stop? MONEY. Didn't fill out the form online? That's okay, gimme the money. I didn't fill out the form because your form is RNY only and I will only get DS? Um, huh, what? DS? It's okay,go to the next station.

And so it went. Mill, mill, mill. Umpteenth stop in the mill was surgical resident, who endured the full brunt of my not inconsiderable wrath by that point, who was student and scientist enough to stop and interrupt his motherfucking cult speech to hear that I spoke above a third grade level and knew both APA and AMA citation and could argue my case for the undisputed superiorty of the DS for ME to get stopped in his goddamned mindless salesboy tracks...... And who had the GUTS to say to the WLS GOD FUCKING BROLIN in my full hearing, outside my tiny, overheated, supposedly SCARY exam room door, that I had done my research, understood my health picture, and convincingly argued my position.....only to get SHOT DOWN by the WLS GOD Brolin..... Oh I dare not say what I think of that cocksucking egomaniac motherfucker.

Robert Brolin will get my edited version AFTER he sends me $300 plus interest plus damages for how he fucked me over.

And these are the reasons why we troll in the interwebs, trying to get people to NOT go to bait-and-don't-switch surgeons.

I truly would like to believe Dr. Houston's reluctance to do DS was due to concerns of a negative outcome. But I simply don't buy it after spending 33yrs working in health care and 23 as an RN. Regrettably, it's more likely to be about money. He can perform 4-5 lap bands or sleeves per day vs. only 2 DS's for about the same price point. He also know's well that many lap band/sleeve patients go on to have a revision to DS eventually when weight regain rears it's ugly head, so the hope is to do 2 surgeries with each patient. If he was concerned about malabsorptive issues with DS...ask him why he still does the Roux-en-y? Which has similar issues PLUS dumping syndrome). It's because it's about 45min faster than DS, and they can squeeze in another band that day. I know!! It's as cynical a view as the day is long, but my large (pre op!) gut tells me it's the truth nonetheless. :frustrated:

@DianaCox - what y'all do is NOT trolling.
well, as in fishing, but not as in internet troll.

I've been knowing you for years now and you guys pay it forward in the best and purest way. :angel11:

Hello! I am getting the DS done with Dr. David Kim in Dallas. Not sure if this is the same Dr. Kim you're talking about, but he is extremely well known in the area. He is actually the one who recommended I get the DS done (he performs them laparoscopic) :)
Becca
This surgeon is from my area.

Dr. Kim advertises a lot, but I don't consider him "well known". He's pushed lap band surgeries for a long time in Texas, and the fact that he still performs them makes me uncomfortable. He has his own "surgical center", which I am also personally uncomfortable with. For a surgery like the DS, I'd rather be in one of our great area teaching hospitals, with all of their trauma resources.

Have you considered getting a second opinion from Dr. Ayoola? He also does the DS in DFW and trained under Dr. Stewart. That practice does not have all of the billboards, bus ads, and yellow pages covers- but they sure have done a lot of DS surgeries over the years. How many DS surgeries has Dr. Kim actually done?

That's nice. It doesn't really answer my question, though. Less experience = complications. Simple as that. I have no idea who Rebekah Fenner is and that fact that a dozen people or so are having the DS with Dr. Kim means nothing to me.

I am 7 months out and STILL recovering from complications- and I had an experienced surgeon! Speaking up because I know what I'm talking about and wouldn't wish what I've gone through on anyone, but your
response seems to indicate an unwillingness to listen. Good luck. You'll need it.

Sometimes I wonder if we should do a "Complications: keeping it real" thread, so people really understand what they are getting themselves into.

But then I wonder if I really want to invest that much effort into people and to share my personal struggles with those who are just going to do what they want anyway.

I just want to shake some sense into people sometimes, but I'll save that energy for my own family and for people who truly need and want help.

Protein Snob: I wasn't trying to be closed minded, I was just trying to explain that Dr. Kim is frequently doing Duodenal Switches now. I'm sorry if it came off that way. Rebekah Fenner is a friend of mine from the Facebook OH group who just had her (and her husband's) DS done with Dr. Kim. I'm sorry about the complications you had with your surgery and I wish things had gone better for you.
I've taken precautions with Dr. Kim and his office that I am only to get the DS and nothing else. I have full confidence and trust in him and his practice :)
I appreciate your concern and wish you luck with your journey :)

Becca

You are still not hearing my concerns.

1. Dr. Kim does not have enough experience doing the DS, in my opinion. Less experience = more complications
2. I don't need your sympathy. What I need you to understand is that complications can happen to anyone, and they are more likely with an inexperienced surgeon.
3. How many Ds surgeries has Dr. Kim actually DONE? Wasn't he one of the docs who observed Stewart a few times and then announced he was now doing DS surgeries? There are a few surgeons like this in DFW. I don't remember if Dr. Kim is one of them. You need to find out.
4. What I do know is that Dr. Kim has been known as a lap band surgeon, NOT a DS surgeon. His face is plastered all over Dallas advertising himself, along with Barker.
5. In my opinion, Dr. Ayoola did things the right way and assisted Dr. Stewart for over a year with the DS, plus helped handle all of the complications. If you really feel comfortable being a guinea pig, be my guest.

@BeccaHertel , deleting and running is an asshole thing to do. Do that where *I* am an admin and you will be instantly banned. Be glad I'm not an admin here.

Elizabeth, I didn't mean to cause a fuss. The admin recommend I "ignore" PS and I didn't know that meant I couldn't see her posts anymore. So when I went back to that thread, I thought she had deleted her posts, so I figured I should too to be fair. Had no idea hers were still up :/ Sorry again for the misunderstanding. I wish I could put mine back up, but I have no idea how to. Still learning this whole forum thing : )
Didn't mean to be an asshole

Elizabeth, I didn't mean to cause a fuss. The admin recommend I "ignore" PS and I didn't know that meant I couldn't see her posts anymore. So when I went back to that thread, I thought she had deleted her posts, so I figured I should too to be fair. Had no idea hers were still up :/ Sorry again for the misunderstanding. I wish I could put mine back up, but I have no idea how to. Still learning this whole forum thing : )
Didn't mean to be an asshole
YOU are not an asshole. It was about the behavior. Thanks for explaining, and now you know how the ignore function works :). It does *not* go both ways on this forum's software, much to my aggravation. The person you put on ignore can still see and respond to your posts, but you won't see them. You'll just see a tiny little note in the thread that there is "ignored content," and you can choose to view it if you want.

Once you delete a post, it's gone, both on this software and on Facebook. (Some forum software programs have the ability to restore deleted posts, but that's pretty rare.) Oh well, chalk one up to learning.

That being said, PS has some good points, *and* she has learned at dire personal cost just what can go wrong. This quite naturally makes her vociferous about the subject. I am grateful that she and a few other folks who have survived horrible stuff are willing to post about it.

If you have evidence of your surgeon's DS and revision experience, it would contribute to our body of information here if you would share it. I recall that his name was mentioned in the FB group, but don't remember any details that might have gotten posted.

Latest posts

Back