Nine month Post Op

Ainu

Hey everyone! I'm about nine months post op (Feb. 15th) and I'm now down a little over 125lbs since January. I've gone from 310lbs to 184.5. My short term goal at this point is 160. This is the max healthy weight range for my height. I cannot believe how well this is going. I know a lot of people are scared and I want to keep posting to show that things get better and this is totally worth it.

Some people say surgery is "cheating" and if I'm being completely honest, I used to be one of those people. But you know what? This is my life. This is your life and this is not a game to be won, lost, or cheated on. Use the tools you have in life and don't waste months and years trying and failing just because some people say it's "cheating."

Of the people who know of my surgery (which is almost everyone because I have a huge mouth) an overwhelming majority has been supportive and happy for me. There are of course the "office b***es" that will always be spewing venom, but **** em.They can be fat and unhappy forever, I don't care.

Some interesting things from this weight loss: When I lie on my side to sleep, my knees touch each other and I actually started to bruise. It's figured itself out by now but it was odd and a little annoying.

Loose skin is real. For 125lbs in less then a year, my skin really isn't that bad, but my inner thighs make me cringe. Here's hoping time will heal all wounds.

Shop at thrift stores. I need new clothes every couple of weeks. This gets way too expensive if you're buying new clothes.

I actually check myself out in every reflective surface now. I know it's vain but it's such a crazy transformation in such a short time.

I can actually see my bones now. I don't really like the bony look but it's a clear sign of getting close to goal weight. I've been working hard with my husband lifting weights to build some muscle over those bones. That should also help with the skin.

Take home here: do what's best for you. Remember that so many people who post are posting because something is wrong and they need help. The majority out there are doing well so don't be too scared. It's a big change but so much better than bypass and absolutely, positively, 100% worth it.

Good luck to you all.

Congratulations on your success!
I'm so glad you posted about people who think bariatric surgery is somehow "cheating". One of my pet peeves is the folks who say we took the easy way out. No, for almost all MO people it's the only way out. It also bugs me when people talk about "cheating" on a diet. What you eat, or don't eat, isn't about cheating, it's about making choices for your health and quality of life. Likewise for having bariatric surgery. And, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the people at your office who are looking down their noses at you now, have bariatric surgery themselves sometime down the line. We all get to that point in our own times and our own ways. Good for you for making this decision.

I'm glad to hear it's going so well for you!

When I lie on my side to sleep, my knees touch each other and I actually started to bruise. It's figured itself out by now but it was odd and a little annoying.

there are a couple of downsides to weight loss and being "bony" is one of them. it's also harder to shave your armpits when they are actually pit shaped.

well worth it, I think we can agree! :geek:

People who used to be obese (or still are) are unfamiliar with how a normal body looks and feels without layers of adipose tissue. You should see and feel bones in some places.

Ainu - congrats on your weight loss success thus far!

Also, keep in mind that we lose weight from certain places, which can look very bony for a while; however, after you get into maintenance mode, some of the fat may sort itself out and rearrange. In particular, your face may show it a lot at first, because the smallest amount of fat can really change the look of your face, but after a while, it may plump back up in the right places.

Or not. But that's one of the reasons to wait before plastic surgery for your body to acclimate to the new amount of fat.

Hooray! The DS is a miracle! I'm so happy for you.

OK, so you should feel some bones. I love my collar bones. I still look in the mirror think "hi collar bones, so glad to know you again."

Saggy skin. Ugh....that is an issue. I've lost 100 pounds a few times. at 23, firmed right up, at 35, mostly firmed up. At 50, I'm getting plastics, so I'm afraid that is about how it goes.

That said, I did firm up a bunch. My Dad said my face and neck firmed up. But my tummy, upper legs, etc. They are not firming up enough. :(

Who the hell care if people said you took the easy way out. You did not, you cut your body apart. You took a different path, not an easier path. And you took the path that gets you to wear you are going. :)

I'm glad to hear it's going so well for you!

there are a couple of downsides to weight loss and being "bony" is one of them. it's also harder to shave your armpits when they are actually pit shaped.

well worth it, I think we can agree! :geek:

But it's so much easier to shave your nethers when you can actually reach/see them.

But it's so much easier to shave your nethers when you can actually reach/see them.
It's even easier as you age. Some of us develop a type of alopecia as we age mostly due to a very light coating of body hair to begin with. I'm to the point, due to very light hair on my legs, etc, that shaving might be a twice a year event and even wearing shorts, no one can tell.

That surgery is "cheating" garbage, is just that - garbage. When someone had the nerve to tell me that once upon a time, I told him to stuff it because this was the hardest thing I'd ever done in my life. It was just the VSG at that time but it was still a healing process, a hormonal rollercoaster, and re-learning all the bad habits into good healthy sustainable ones. So no... it wasn't cheating. Still gets me all riled up!

I have noticed as much weight loss slowed down I'm much less....all over the place mentally. It's kind of nice. My meds before were like fighting a wild fire with a squirt gun. Now they have an actual chance.

I have noticed as much weight loss slowed down I'm much less....all over the place mentally. It's kind of nice. My meds before were like fighting a wild fire with a squirt gun. Now they have an actual chance.

It's really weird when you realize that your hormones can absolutely take you hostage! Like, you KNOW everything is fine, life is blessed, blah blah blah, but you just want to cry and hide and melt into a puddle. Hijacked!

Even worse! My baby clock started to click. I'm assuming it's hormones going back to normal. Thankfully I'm stronger than biology. No children for me.

Even worse! My baby clock started to click. I'm assuming it's hormones going back to normal. Thankfully I'm stronger than biology. No children for me.
ONE of the reasons I have no kids is because I was pretty damn sure they would be doomed to be fat.

Latest posts

Back